Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Should I pursue this issue with ARB?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Robinhood150
Oh we definately would have done it in our driveways, except we don't have driveways. I'm sure Tom feels the same way, but I want to stay in good standing with my neighbors and the apartment management. So far, they haven't said anything about me always changing oil, painting my bumper, etc and I don't want to push it by having tires and tools sprawled everywhere.

I know some people go to big parking lots and work on their vehicles, but I'd feel even funnier about that.

Steve
Yep! I actually changed the oil in my parking space here at the complex last Sun. night. As I was finishing, a neighbor came by to warn me that management likes to dish out $75 fines for working on your vehicle.

My only other option is the parking lot over at work; which I'm actually going to use tomorrow when I extend my rear diff. breather!
Old 04-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mertztr
You'd probably feel differently if you went through it.
I did install them on the wrong sides because mine weren't even tagged. I first got the 890's which werent' tagged then decided since I had to pull them to swap sides since they weren't marked I would just order the 891's to get more lift. I made sure I installed them on the correct side when I swapped them then.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Should I pursue this issue with ARB?

What will hurt ARB much more in the long run is their lack of quality control.
I wouldn't NOT buy a superior spring just because of a labeling issue. The labeling prob is as simple to fix as firing the $5.25/hour illegal worker and replacing them with one that isn't so lazy. It doesn't effect the design which is what QC "should" be worrying about. {sorry, I'm a mechanical engineer so you stated above how we feel about iso gurus) The fact I'm trying to make is that it isn't a "quality" problem with the product and it's function in the vehicle. Whether it is installed on the correct side or not will not make a bit of difference in the function of them, it only causes a problem when you look at it and say "man, my runner is tilted." One can actually look at them if they know what they are doing and realize, with no tags, which side they go on. Safety? I've never seen a properly supported vehicle slip off any jack stands or anything. I can, however, understand the apartment thing though. I once pulled the intake out and a bunch of other stuff and got into it with the apartment manager about it, so then I just would go to a secluded parking lot with some tree shading and do all my work there. I have a house now so that's no longer a prob.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:45 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Oh we definately would have done it in our driveways, except we don't have driveways. I'm sure Tom feels the same way, but I want to stay in good standing with my neighbors and the apartment management. So far, they haven't said anything about me always changing oil, painting my bumper, etc and I don't want to push it by having tires and tools sprawled everywhere.

I know some people go to big parking lots and work on their vehicles, but I'd feel even funnier about that.

Steve
Somebody say tires & tools

I am pushing it at my place by doing that.
You ought to see it when I'm doing wiring projects such as adding lights.

Hood up, big Sears toolbox in front of the rig, and a big electrical toolbox too.

They don't mind this too much, but doing anything that will drip oil or other bodily fluids on the grounds here is a

I'm lucky to be able to wash my rig in the same parking spot too, and to wax it here.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Corey
tools

I like how neatly you place your nuts on the asphalt. That came out wrong.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

I'm in the same boat with trying to do car work at/in an apartment. You should have seen the look on my apt. manager's face when I was using a circular saw to rip plywood while building my cargo box. I was on my balcony, which overlooks the office. I did it during the day, within the legal hours for making a racket, and managed to escape any nastygrams. I do wonder how many people who came to look at apartments that day choose to go somewhere else after all the noise! I've gotten in the habit of doing car work on the street directly adjacent to my building. I'm technically not on their property, so I don't think there is a thing they can do about it. Its fine for working underneath, but I'm leary about doing brake work on the street side of the vehicle, afraid I'm going to get tagged by an inattentive driver.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Mad Chemist
I'm in the same boat with trying to do car work at/in an apartment. You should have seen the look on my apt. manager's face when I was using a circular saw to rip plywood while building my cargo box. I was on my balcony, which overlooks the office. I did it during the day, within the legal hours for making a racket, and managed to escape any nastygrams. I do wonder how many people who came to look at apartments that day choose to go somewhere else after all the noise! I've gotten in the habit of doing car work on the street directly adjacent to my building. I'm technically not on their property, so I don't think there is a thing they can do about it. Its fine for working underneath, but I'm leary about doing brake work on the street side of the vehicle, afraid I'm going to get tagged by an inattentive driver.
Depending on your city ordinance, it could also be illegal to work on your vehicle on the street too. It's illegal here.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

A buddy of mine rebuilt a '71 'Cuda from the ground up and when it came to the engine, he order all the parts and crap and then assembled them on an engine stand in the living room of his apartment. When it came time to drop it in, we rolled it out to the vehicle in the parking lot and proceeded. luckily, he was in the ghetto when he did that so you can basically get away with murder there, literally! he moved to a better part of town now and now he rents a storage space and keeps the classic in there and does the work there too. I guess he was lucky they didn't come in to spray for bugs or something. oh yea, he also told me that McGuires cleans the carpet pretty well if you have any stains that won't come up.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

I looked around for do-it-yourself garage that you could rent by the hour in Seattle, but wasn't able to find anything. I don't think I could justify renting a storage space just for car work- although I honestly don't know how much it would cost.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about parking garages?
Old 04-21-2003, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Well, part of the problem is having an outlet to run powertools, work lights, etc. I've got access to a parking garage at work, but am leary about pushing my luck. I've more or less decided to rent a house when my current lease is up, should solve this problem altogether, and will let anyone come and use my garage if they need to!
Old 04-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can come to AZ and use my garage anytime.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Old 04-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
I don't think I could justify renting a storage space just for car work- although I honestly don't know how much it would cost.
I'm not sure how much he pays. I personally wouldn't do that either, but he has a point everytime I tell him he is wasting his money. The Cuda is his strut up-n-down the avenue car and he drives his Taco everywhere else and some jack-of-f broke into the Cuda once and stole some elcheapo walmart tools he had in there and at the same time detailed his newly finished interior and dash with some pleasant knife ascents, not sure why they would do that unless they were just in a bad mood and wanted to take it out on something that couldn't fight back. I can't even understand them breaking into a car for some ratty old walmart (stanley) tools. not worth the time in jail if caught if you ax me.
He has power outlets in the storage area, installed especially for him because the owner likes his Cuda, what luck some people have, eh?