Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sequoia?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sequoia?

Where's the Sequioa thread? I saw "Toyota Forum" in the title banner but it looks like this bulletin board only pertains to 4Runners. Can't find any references to Sequoias. Or Tundras.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:41 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Hello General, and welcome to the forums.

Actually all Toyota SUVs & trucks can post in this forum heading here.
I guess it could be changed to reflect "Toyota SUVs & Trucks."

Since we are still relatively new, we had set it up with "4Runner" in the heading a few months back.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:42 PM

Yes, welcome to the board! Just post and don't worry about what vehicle you have, just as long as it has the Toyota logo on it! Welcome and enjoy! :fireman:
Old 07-17-2002, 11:51 AM

Well I just traded in my 01 4runner for a 02 Sequoia so you have at least one other to talk with. If anyone knows any good Sequoia sites let me know.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

How come you traded??? How expensive is a sequoia anyways, I was looking at getting one but it just looks too big and I like the style of the 4runner. The only reason I looked at it is because I think it has a rear power window just like the 4runner right? No other SUV has it right?? I love the rear power window....... hey i'm a senior member now, when did that happen?
Old 07-18-2002, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sleepy1405
How come you traded??? How expensive is a sequoia anyways, I was looking at getting one but it just looks too big and I like the style of the 4runner. The only reason I looked at it is because I think it has a rear power window just like the 4runner right? No other SUV has it right?? I love the rear power window....... hey i'm a senior member now, when did that happen?
hmm, Sequoia's don't come with a pwr rear window ( I think). I think it is just a tailgate with a window. Sequoia's (especially limited) will run you in the range of an almost new Land Cruiser, about $50K out the door. Ford Bronco's have a rear pwr window, at least our GOV does!
Old 07-19-2002, 07:22 AM

No, no, you're all wrong. Sequoia's DO come with a power rear window and they're not $50K. Otherwise I wouldn't have traded my 4Runner for it!!

I'll offer the reasons I traded; can't speak for my other new-found Sequoia friend above.

1) The ride. Compared to the Runner, it's like riding on a cloud whether payload is one person or fully loaded.

2) The (larger) size. We have a 17 month-old and having the room to pack all his crap when we drive the 500 miles to see the grandparents - that's happened TWICE in the past 6 weeks - is very cool. Plus, when we get there, we have room for the three of us plus both sets of grandparents in the same vehicle. Very cool as well.

3) The power. The V8, while no pulling/towing behemoth, is quite a bit more powerful than the Runner's 6 cyl. I don't pull a trailer that often, but it's nice to have the extra umph when I do.

We got the SR5 for <$35K. The Limited was quite a bit higher and didn't include that many more options. And, frankly, I like the two-tone SR5 trim better than the Limited's monochromatice one. (Does anyone remember when the two-tone paint was only available on the more expensive car models??) The equipment on our truck included leather and a single-disc CD player. Did not include a sunroof. Big deal. But I do miss the 6-disc player in the Runner. I'm going to have to do something about that in the Seq.

I must admit, I hated getting rid of a perfectly good '99 Runner that I enjoyed playing in. But I was finally convinced by my wife that we, a family of three, "needed" a vehicle capable of seating two familes of four and that wouldn't wear us out on road trips. And, other than the 17 MPG we've averaged since buying it, I'm very happy with the trade. I'm contemplating buying a used 4WD Tundra to play with; my '91 2WD Ranger's just not cutting it.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by DuckFan
Well I just traded in my 01 4runner for a 02 Sequoia so you have at least one other to talk with. If anyone knows any good Sequoia sites let me know.
Glad to know I'm not alone here, Duck. The only other site I've found that's at least somewhat geared to Sequoias is "tundrasolutions.com". They have a thread devoted to Sequoias. They also have a "Texas" thread and tons of people who post there live in the Houston area. In fact, I'm getting together with them tomorrow for a lunch meet and to meet everyone and look over their Tundras and Tacos and give them a chance to see my Seq mods (bug deflector, tinted front windows and radar detector ) Can't remember as I type this where you're from, but if you live around Houston, come join us.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by general sherman
No, no, you're all wrong. Sequoia's DO come with a power rear window and they're not $50K. Otherwise I wouldn't have traded my 4Runner for it!!

We got the SR5 for <$35K. The Limited was quite a bit higher and didn't include that many more options. And, frankly, I like the two-tone SR5 trim better than the Limited's monochromatice one. (Does anyone remember when the two-tone paint was only available on the more expensive car models??) The equipment on our truck included leather and a single-disc CD player. Did not include a sunroof. Big deal. But I do miss the 6-disc player in the Runner. I'm going to have to do something about that in the Seq.

oops your right, I price a limited and it turned out to be about $44K out the door.

Old 07-29-2002, 09:28 PM

Well I traded in my 4runner for the same reasons general sherman did. Much better ride. Long trips were very hard in the 4runner. A larger size suv for my dogs. and the v8 has a lot more power than the v6 4runner.

sherman, I try to visit the tundrasolutions.com forum about once a day. It seems to be getting more and more people there. I live in Oregon so I don't think I will come to the Texas events but thanks anyways. What brand of bug deflector and radar detector do you have. I would like to get these things also. I would like to maybe get the front two windows tinited like you did if my local shop can match it to the back windows. How did yours turn out?
Thanks
Old 07-29-2002, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
COREY!! Where are your manners! If either of these fine TOYOTA owners would like to be the moderator, they could certainly start their own forum here. Hopefully it would build faster than the Landcruiser Forum is.

Welcome to you all!

If you would put the state or country you are in (on your user profile) it would give us some perspective of everyone's location.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

now see I know I was right gotta love the power rear window, too bad there aren't more SUV's out there will that option. I still want a navigator though, especially since now they make everything in the damn thing power!, It will probably take me a lifetime to save up that much money though.....hey if I win the lottery it could happen. I wouldn't mind having power running boards......
Old 07-30-2002, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by sleepy1405
now see I know I was right gotta love the power rear window, too bad there aren't more SUV's out there will that option. I still want a navigator though, especially since now they make everything in the damn thing power!, It will probably take me a lifetime to save up that much money though.....hey if I win the lottery it could happen. I wouldn't mind having power running boards......
:eek: Navigator? Sorry, but that thing could'nt compare to the 4Runner, at least in style/looks. It's a huge box on tiny tires, looks so out of proportion. No offense, but I see a lot of small framed female drivers in these and Expeditions, Suburbans...I have to laugh because they look like little kids driving this behemouth SUV. Just saw one today...it's the funniest thing...like the commercial of the lady jumping out her SUV like a paratrooper. It's almost scarey. Again, don't mean to offend anyones choice of vehicles, but unless you're built like Shaq, those SUV's will make you look like Mini-Me...why do you think power running boards are made? Just an observation...
butnut
Old 07-30-2002, 01:57 AM
Contributing Member

that's the only problem, I think when I went to the car show I figured I couldn't drive one cuz it's HUGE!, I could put a lot of ˟˟˟˟ in there though.......you know what I could do is win the lottery and put power running boards on my 4runner......that's a thought I kinda like the way it looks, just that it's too big, too bad i'm not taller or something
Old 07-30-2002, 04:59 AM

Hey DuckFan

I'm curious if you test drove the Ford or Chevy SUVs with a V8 and if so how did the performance compare?

Thanks
Pete
Old 07-30-2002, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by DuckFan
What brand of bug deflector and radar detector do you have. I would like to get these things also. I would like to maybe get the front two windows tinited like you did if my local shop can match it to the back windows. How did yours turn out?
Thanks
I got the Form Fit bug deflector. And, ironically, my local dealer carried it in addition to the OEM deflector - and cheaper! However, I paid $99 and I've heard of a dealer in CA (Carson Toyota) selling it for $69 plus shipping which would probably make the total out of pocket approach the $99 I paid locally. I like it much better than the OEM because, in addition to running across the hood, it extends on either side of the grill. It really provides protection for the front and looks good even on my white truck. Highly recommend it.

The radar detector is a Cobra ESD 9150 that, again, I bought from my dealer. MSRP was like $119; they had it on sale for $79 plus Cobra gave a $10 rebate. One of the best deals I've ever found from a dealer.

The tinted windows cost me $50. I had them tinted as dark as TX law allows, which isn't anywhere close to the tint on the back glasses. That sorta bummed me out until I got in the truck after the tint was installed. From the inside, it's plenty dark. In fact, I'm still adjusting to them and I wouldn't want them any darker. Was thinking of installing the privacy tint on all of my Ranger's windows but after driving the Seq w/the legal, lighter tint, I've decided not to. (I may still install the tint but I won't go darker than what's legal.)

Hope this is good info for you. Good luck.

David
Old 07-30-2002, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

I posted in the maintenance section here describing changing fluids and adding foglights to a 2002 Sequoia. My son has a Sequoia. He has a 13 month old daughter and another child on the way. He needs the room in the bigger vehicle.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:15 PM

Pete I did not try the Ford or Chevy V8 SUV. My family has only owned Honda's but I also like Toyota so I never even looked at Ford or Chevy. I bought the Sequoia a bit on impulse. I had seen some nice ones around town and really liked them. I had also read some good reviews in mags. I had seen this black Sequoia on the Toyota lot for about 3 weeks. One day driving past the lot I thought I would just take a look. Well an hour later they had me driving home in a that same Sequoia. I guess for the price range of a Sequoia Limited I could have gotten a Yukon Denali for a little more. I should have test drove the Denali but I am really happy with the Sequoia so far. As far as the engine power the Sequoia has more than enough power for me. I have found myself going 80 or 90 without much trouble. I should not be driving this fast. Maybe someone here can tell us how the Chevy or Ford V8's are. If I wanted more power in the Sequoia I could always add the supercharger but it is expensive. I think it is about $4000.00 for it and that does not cover the cost of installing it if you don't want to do it yourself like me. I have not driven in a supercharged Toyota pickup or SUV but I am sure they really kick ass.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:00 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
ATT:

Sequoia & Tundra folk's. Very few on the board now.
If a new forum category was created for full size rigs like the two above mentioned names, would you like it and use it?
Can you get more folk's in that you know?
Corey
Old 07-31-2002, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Ah, but you forget me?? lol..., sure I wouldn't mine using it, pst as much knowledge as I know about the Tundra, but it's mainly maintence issues I know. I am not really modding my Tundra too much in the way of performance (as a matter of fact, nothing is planned in the form of performance).

Quick Reply: Sequoia?