Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

seafoam question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We use a little something different at my dealership, but the same principle applies. Every 30k mile intervals we highly recommend doing a new fuel filter, and a fuel induction service. It includes the cleaning agent to put in the fuel, cleaning the throttle body, and induction cleaner (about the same as seafoam through the pcv, but we use a cannister with compressed air and the tube is fed through the intake. I highly recommend doing seafoam as I said before we do a similar process at my dealership and I have yet to have one come back.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
We use a little something different at my dealership, but the same principle applies. Every 30k mile intervals we highly recommend doing a new fuel filter, and a fuel induction service. It includes the cleaning agent to put in the fuel, cleaning the throttle body, and induction cleaner (about the same as seafoam through the pcv, but we use a cannister with compressed air and the tube is fed through the intake. I highly recommend doing seafoam as I said before we do a similar process at my dealership and I have yet to have one come back.
Mike, I heard of this before but never talked to anyone who has had it done. Can a person just buy the canister of the cleaner and do it themselves without paying a mechanic $70.00 an hour to do it? Any idea what it cost or where I can get some to try? Thanks, Mike
Old 04-09-2007, 03:52 AM

i would like to know too.. i plan on running it through the pcv valve and crank case. just wanted to let this tank go through first per MTL's sound advice....how long are supposed to run the seafoam in the crankcase?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
i would like to know too.. i plan on running it through the pcv valve and crank case. just wanted to let this tank go through first per MTL's sound advice....how long are supposed to run the seafoam in the crankcase?
I don't suggest ever using it in the crankcase, but that's your call. Also remember that when you run it in the gastank, you want to try and run it fairly concentrated. If you use it per the instruction on the back of the can, that is just for maintenance (like having Techtron in gasoline). For precleaning before using it straight in the motor, I like to use 3 cans in 1/2 tank of gas (or if you can spare the extra $6 for a 3rd can then run a minimum of 2 cans in about 1/3 of a tank of gas) and use it normally until the empty light comes on. Also the more times the engine comes up to temp, cools and then restarts the better.....don't just throw it in the tank and drive for 3 hours to use up everything in the tank.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Beartracker
Mike, I heard of this before but never talked to anyone who has had it done. Can a person just buy the canister of the cleaner and do it themselves without paying a mechanic $70.00 an hour to do it? Any idea what it cost or where I can get some to try? Thanks, Mike
I think Mike works at a GM dealership so they'd be using the "GM Top End Cleaner" or something similar. Not many people have talked about it but we used to use that stuff all the time back when I worked as a mechanic on Toyotas and Hondas. It comes in a regular can or an aerosol version (spray can gives you less for the money, but can be handy to spray into a smaller vacuum line), it is very cheap (Part # 1050002 and it's about $6.50 for a pour type can), it's available at any GM dealer and works just as good as Seafoam (maybe better, never did any side-by-side comparisons). Same principles apply here as with using Seafoam, use it in the tank before using it directly in the motor.

When using it straight, with the engine running, and your hand on the throttle lever, start spraying into the intake. The cleaner will cause harsh idle, and you may wish to give it a little throttle by rotating the throttle lever slightly as it tries to die (also helps suck in more cleaner). Continue feeding the truck the entire can. When your almost out, go ahead and try to stall it out, if you don't succeed then just shut off the truck. You want it to sit and allow chemical reactions to clean up your cylinders for a good amount of time, the can says 10-20 minutes, you should wait longer (more like 1-2 hours).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 04-09-2007 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:29 AM

jamie i know you never mentioned to put seafoam in the crank case. sorry for the confusion... so with an 11 gallon tank to PRECLEAN you would use 3 cans for the whole tank of gas?? i plan on using about one can in intervals via the pcv valve in her car.. it needs it bad. she drive a lot miles!... what would be a good thing to put in her crankcase to clean it up some?? i never put anything in my truck's crankcase bc i use synthetic.. she uses regular dyno oil

thanks guys
Old 04-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

jamie i know you never mentioned to put seafoam in the crank case. sorry for the confusion... so with an 11 gallon tank to PRECLEAN you would use 3 cans for the whole tank of gas?? i plan on using about one can in intervals via the pcv valve in her car.. it needs it bad. she drive a lot miles!... what would be a good thing to put in her crankcase to clean it up some?? i never put anything in my truck's crankcase bc i use synthetic.. she uses regular dyno oil

thanks guys
I'd recommened 3 cans in 1/2 a tank not a full tank. Then once you've used all that up you can go ahead and use it straight in the motor (PVC or other vacuum line).

If you want to clean up the crankcase, then do what I call an oil flush. Change the oil and filter, run it for about 200-400 miles and then change the oil again (cheap dyno oil from Walmart is fine). I am always leary of putting anything in the oil because you can often do more harm than good in this respect.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 AM

10-4 jamie thanks.................. so the heavy concentration of seafoam wont hurt the 4 cylinder motor?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

10-4 jamie thanks.................. so the heavy concentration of seafoam wont hurt the 4 cylinder motor?
You're pouring it in straight later, right?!
The answer is no, it won't.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
You're pouring it in straight later, right?!
The answer is no, it won't.
yeah good point haha.. duh
Old 04-09-2007, 10:51 AM

Do you seafoam folks have more or less cat replacements than average? I'm wandering what the seafoam does to the cats and the oxygen sensors. I'm a little leary of using it in my runner.

Specifically siamese cats or ligers, but others can be discussed.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

After some thought,
I have decided to not to do the original smoke screen mod I had originally planned on the 4Runner and instead I'm installing SeaFoam Injection!! Not only will I be escaping from "bad people" I will also be cleaning my engine, BRILLIANT!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turboale
After some thought,
I have decided to not to do the original smoke screen mod I had originally planned on the 4Runner and instead I'm installing SeaFoam Injection!! Not only will I be escaping from "bad people" I will also be cleaning my engine, BRILLIANT!
It's hilarious that you brought this up!

I finally did my methanol injection this weekend, and as I was filling the tank, I looked on the floor of the garage and there was a can of Seafoam. I thought... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

What can I say... great minds think alike...
Old 04-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beartracker

I tried to search the net for the kit we use, but it's Daytona brand I believe. We have a vendor that comes by and supplies it for us. If I can get the correct vendor name and where to get it I will post it up. But for the induction part you will need a cannister with compressed air, but I am sure you can use the PCV hose to do the same job.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
I tried to search the net for the kit we use, but it's Daytona brand I believe. We have a vendor that comes by and supplies it for us. If I can get the correct vendor name and where to get it I will post it up. But for the induction part you will need a cannister with compressed air, but I am sure you can use the PCV hose to do the same job.
The way Mike is talking about is how the pro mechanics do it, but it requires you to have an air compressor and a canister injection system like the pic below to inject the cleaner directly into the fuel rails. This type of setup is really overkill for the home mechanic, but if your the type of person that needs to have every tool for every job, then by all means, go get one.

Canister Injector:
Old 04-09-2007, 05:05 PM

Thanks guys. Guess I'll just keep doing it the old fashioned way,Lol. Slow and easy, Mike