Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Roor's big build up

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think you've misread. i know that is nothing, however it's the best this campus has to offer when i want to get my shoes dirty. what i'm saying is my cv's have been through real trails and rough passes over the course of the last 8 months with no ill effects thus far, i was merely stating i was 'overdue' for one breaking. and for the 3rd time, the 883s are shorter than the 882s, i've eased my cv angles since putting these on. i think you're mistaking me for a mall crawler hawk
Old 10-24-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by RooRRunner
i think you've misread. i know that is nothing, however it's the best this campus has to offer when i want to get my shoes dirty. what i'm saying is my cv's have been through real trails and rough passes over the course of the last 8 months with no ill effects thus far, i was merely stating i was 'overdue' for one breaking. and for the 3rd time, the 883s are shorter than the 882s, i've eased my cv angles since putting these on. i think you're mistaking me for a mall crawler hawk
fair enough, and i understand that they are shorter, but you are the one saying you got 1.5" of lift out of them since the 882s sagged and these are new, so when you broke, you were clearly pretty high. All im saying is i hope they sag some, because thats pretty high. and if you are due for breakage then fair enough, i guess you had to be cause im pretty sure a forceflex trashbag could survive that. hopefully the new cv's plus alittle sagging will equal a nice combo. I am interested in how the settle because Im gonna be getting rid of the coilovers soon to go this route, but Im not looking for too much height, so be sure to follow up for the next thousand miles or so
Old 10-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

yeah i already have a continual write up with toytec set up, i'm measuring at 500mi incriments, i'll copy my reports on here. as i said in the beginning though, the heavier wire diameter and coil altogether will make for minimal sag, that was a great bit of the height gain as well
Old 11-04-2007, 04:43 PM

RooRunner, great job on your truck. I just got myself a '96 Runner, it is purely a play toy for me - not my primary driver - so I want to get it built-up asap. I'm looking to take advantage of your own trials and tribulations, if you don't mind - that is, skip all my own trial and error and go right to a setup that I like, and that seems to work -- yours. I'm curious on the best places to source some of the parts in your buildup, can you point me in the right direction?
OME 993
OME N91S (trim packer added to driver side) - is this a shock? what is a trim packer?
LC springs for back - which ones exactly, and where to get them?

what length shocks do you have front/back? (or is the front just the stock length, but with longer coils?)

and one more, where can I get me one of those ARB Taco bumpers, it looks awesome.

thanks for the help.
P.S. here is a link belonging to one of the local guys here, a taste of some of the wheeling we do up here in Atlantic Canada. My last truck is on here as well (yellow Xterra). Cheers.
http://pic4.piczo.com/mudmonsters/?g=1
sorry if the link doesn't work - cut and paste. not great with this linking stuff...lol.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FullXTR
RooRunner, great job on your truck. I just got myself a '96 Runner, it is purely a play toy for me - not my primary driver - so I want to get it built-up asap. I'm looking to take advantage of your own trials and tribulations, if you don't mind - that is, skip all my own trial and error and go right to a setup that I like, and that seems to work -- yours. I'm curious on the best places to source some of the parts in your buildup, can you point me in the right direction?
OME 993
OME N91S (trim packer added to driver side) - is this a shock? what is a trim packer?
LC springs for back - which ones exactly, and where to get them?

what length shocks do you have front/back? (or is the front just the stock length, but with longer coils?)

and one more, where can I get me one of those ARB Taco bumpers, it looks awesome.

thanks for the help.
P.S. here is a link belonging to one of the local guys here, a taste of some of the wheeling we do up here in Atlantic Canada. My last truck is on here as well (yellow Xterra). Cheers.
http://pic4.piczo.com/mudmonsters/?g=1
sorry if the link doesn't work - cut and paste. not great with this linking stuff...lol.
The link in my sig has pretty much everything accounted for if you want a supplement to what I'm telling you now

As far as the suspension lift, this is what its composed of:

Coils
Front- OME 883
Rear- Landcruiser coils

Shocks
Front- OME N91S
Rear- ProComp ES1000 (OME N86)

All of the Old Man Emu parts can be obtained from Toytec Lifts. A trim packer is a 5mm ring that sits below the coil cup on (usually) the front-left strut to offset the added weight of the gas tank to achieve balance, also made by OME, also sold by Toytec (about 20 bucks). The front coils from a Landcruiser can be put on the rears of our 4runners for, give or take, 4" of lift, I have one of the taller pairs. As far as getting a pair, I would try various forum marketplaces, junkyards, or a dealership as a last result. Try 4x4 Connection for the ARB, great people, great service and competitive pricing. Need anything else just ask me, or anyone else on this board for that matter..this is yotatech after all
Old 11-04-2007, 05:59 PM

thanks -- I thought Toytec only sold specific setups, I didn't think you could get just the springs from them. I'll be contacting them, for sure.

As for the LC coils (fronts, as you indicated), what model years do I look for? I'm sure there must be different lengths / spring rates for varying years?

And yup, Yotatech is great. I've been hovering around here as a "guest" for years - well ever since I sold my last Runner (a '94) about 4 years ago.

You haven't per chance had any issues with the 3rd gen style of hubs, have you? Are they strong and reliable? Do you know if the old Aisin's from the 1st gen's will fit on a 3rd gen?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

this is the last update for this thread and possibly for my truck for a while. had to visit the hospital for injuries sustained during the fabbing process so my number one tools will be out of service for a while.

my IPFs that were originally on the arb were taken off and replaced by the kc's until the rack was on. The KC's came with Thule load bar adapters so I finally figured out the solution to getting them back on. Took the rack off of the load bars and mounted it on the factory rails. Took one of the load bars and grinded 10" off of it, fine tuned it and reinserted the plastic ends. mounted the lights on it and put it directly underneath the top frame of the basket. Secured at the moment by U bolts on each end, i'll end up making a more solid solution when i can use my hand again. IPF's are back up front. So this is how she'll stand for a while unless the line x'd limited trim tickles my fancy.

Also gave my inner wells a flat black overhaul, finally looks like new again

I know i'm a photo whore, but it won't happen again for a while

Last edited by MillerPKA; 11-13-2007 at 05:47 PM.