Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Roof Racks

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof Racks

What are the various roof rack systems available that will attach to the 3rd gen (2002) factory roof rack?
Old 11-11-2002, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

i'm currently looking into the same thing...the locking railriders seem like a good choice for me check it out at yakima.com
Old 11-11-2002, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

Do a search! The 5 out there are: Con-Ferr, Garvin, Surco, Thule and Yakima. I don't know of any others off hand.

Here's one of mine with Garvin's Wilderness rack. I think it's the most $$, but has many optional add-on stuff.

Old 11-12-2002, 07:03 AM

roof racks

What about bushman, Lilimanjaro, Kargo master, Steel Horse Euro Rack?
Old 11-12-2002, 07:31 AM

What do you mean by "roof rack systems"? Are you talking about safari baskets? Stronger cross/load bars? Ski/bike carriers?
Old 11-12-2002, 08:39 AM

I want to use the factory roof rack cross members, since they are there, and will keep the height down- The only things I want to mount are a hi-lift jack, axe/shovel, and a co2 tank- maybe an occasional tub of recovery gear- so a cargo basket/rack that mounts to my factory rack is preferrable- I am familiar with the Con-ferrs, since i have had 2 of them on other vehicles- just curious about some of these other baskets- Kargo Master (Kilimanjaro and Bushman), Steel Horse EuroRack, Yakima LoadMaster, BVG Adventure Rack, Wilderness Rack, and ARB rack. Would like to hear different opinions from people who have or have tried these other cargo basket type of racks- especially those who are attaching them to factory roof racks- and finally, do all of these different racks have mounts for accessories-

I have seen the slee offorad hi-lift bracket that can mount straight to a factory rack, but it doesn't allow the hi-lift jack protector to stay on the jack, like the hi-lift loc-rac does- this is important in ocean areas where salt water and air are problems- So I would like a rack that can accept hi-lift's loc-rac in order to keep the jack protector on the jack-
Old 11-12-2002, 09:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Hello Dana.
I run the Yakima Load Warrior.
It's a great rack.

At first there not a whole lot of things out for it, hence my need to get a little creative with mine.

I am picking up the new Yakima axe/shovel mount this week for my axe, but will probably leave my home brewed shovel mount on still.

The Load Warrior rack can be made to fit right to your factory rails thus keeping the height of it down lower than the way I have mine setup.

Also check out Todd's & Mike's LW racks.
Pics can be found on the trail report page from last Saturday.

Page two of the above URL will have links to Todd's & Mike's pics.
They both have theirs mounted higher though.

If you search here for "Yakima" you will see some old pics of Todd's '97 4Runner he use to have with the LW sitting down low.

I really dig the Yak rack, and you can extend it an additional 18" like I did with the extension kit.

I hear you on the Slee mount. Since it goes through the holes of the jack, there is no way I can put a bag over it.
My jack has rust on it from being out in the rain the other day, but nothing a little paint can't fix.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:05 AM

I'm very happy with my surco. Many accessories for it too, inlcuding hi-lift mounts, light mounts, axe/shovel mounts, and a spare tire mount.

Details and pics of my setup are on my site.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:46 PM

OUr main problem is that we offroad in the Baja near the ocean and salt air, and we must keep our hi-lift jacks in protectors or they turn ratty and rusty very quickly- also, without the protector, the base rattles around- so we need a rack that can take the hi-lift inside its protector back- any recommendations?
Old 11-12-2002, 04:01 PM

If you're that concerned about it rusting, you should keep it inside your rig. I've strapped my hi-lift down before and it never made a sound. If you think the hi-lift case thing is enough protection, the put the case on it and strap it to any basket you decide on.

Seems to me that if you buy a hi-lift you do so knowing that it's going to rust. If you wheel often with it outside in the elements, then you accept the fact that you're going to have to replace the jack (or at least the moving parts) periodically.

Like I said before... I like my surco.

Like Darren said before... do a search. Safari baskets have been talked to death around here... find one you like and see if the hi-lift will mount to it in a way that makes you happy. We can't do all the work for you.