Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rhino, Line-x, linings FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Praufet
Does anyone know if you can spray a liner over spray sound deadening material? I like the durability but have heard interiors that are lined have horrible road noise.
We would never do that at Rhino. All that stuff had to come out.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
So should I try to do any of the prep work myself? It doesn't seem that it will save me that much money...and if it has a lifetime warranty...doesn't seem like I can go wrong.

Talk to the place you are going to get sprayed at. See if they will work with you on the prep work, and how much it would save. I bet it won't be worth your time because it is a pain, and they will still have to mask it off and "activate" the primer.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Talk to the place you are going to get sprayed at. See if they will work with you on the prep work, and how much it would save. I bet it won't be worth your time because it is a pain, and they will still have to mask it off and "activate" the primer.
Kinda what I figured. Thanks. I figure since I got the runna gutted...now is the time to do it.

What are the limitations of the lifetime warranty or speculations perhaps?

Old 06-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
What are the limitations of the lifetime warranty or speculations perhaps?
Here's what you do. Go around to all the spray-on places. Bring the rig (stripped if possible) and get written estimates (on a business card, whatever) and get their warranty coverage - in writing. Save the place you really want to get it done for last. Use the previously obtained "ammo" for Rhino or Line-X. Customers had no trouble getting the owner of Rhino to submit to certain requests when I worked there.

If the vehicle is prepped right, in good condition, and sprayed correctly, there should be no reason for you to ever go back. The dealers know this. Interior spraying is not a huge liability in regards to wear. It's all about the prep.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Cruzin90

I'm a LINE-X dealer.

All the opinions above are very important and useful. I can give you some technical information that other's may not have available.

LINE-X and Rhino differ quite a bit. The biggest difference is that LINE-X contains polyurea and Rhino does not. Polyurea enhances the bedliner’s properties: 1. LINE-X's temperature tolerance is 250 degrees and Rhino's is 175. As the temperature of the bed approaches the temp tolerance, it loses its strength. 2. Polyurea keeps moisture out of the solution thus making a more dense and solid liner. Less moisture also means better adhesion. 3. Polyurea also makes for a tougher liner. The tear strength of LINE-X is 304 pounds per linear inch (pli). Rhino is 145 pli. 4. Polyurea sets up very fast, that's one reason why LINE-X goes on with heat and high pressure. LINE-X dries in about 4 seconds, so you get an even application throughout the bed. Rhino takes a minute or so to even gel, an hour or so to dry. Before it gels, gravity can pull the liner from the top ridges in to the low valleys. Rhino’s Tuff Stuff goes on cold/low pressure and thus has that “cottage cheese” or “rain on the windshield” look. LINE-X’s high heat/high pressure system gives it a very nice finished and more consistently applied texture, it’s sort of like an orange peel. The dealer can vary the texture from smooth to very rough. 5. Polyurea makes the liner more chemical resistant, especially to organic oils and solvents.

I've spent a lot of time researching bedliners. They are sort of like tires: All tires are made of rubber, but they can have very different physical properties. Bedliners are the same way.

Let me know if you have any questions specifically for me.

How about some pics?

LINE-X with the Toyota logo. (You will not find any 100% polyurethane liners that can do this):

Non-fading color match:

Tired of rock chips? Lower facia of an Altima with color matched LINE-X:

Fire dept brush truck, everything black is LINE-X, except the bumper:

Satellite communication trailer used by the military in Iraq:

Entire exterior in black or red non-fading LINE-X:

Last edited by Cruzin90; 06-23-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the case where the Line-X is everywhere... doesn't that just get really hard to clean?
Old 06-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
In the case where the Line-X is everywhere... doesn't that just get really hard to clean?
in my bed i have line-x you can wash it just like it was painted...although I dont since its the bed of my truck I'll drive through a car wash and it will look brand new afterward....
Old 06-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

cruzin90, about how much weight does it add to a truck if you line x the whole thing? How did you color match the altima, when the altima has metallic paint?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:36 PM

Which do you have firsthand knowledge of? - LineX

What did you use it for? - Bed liner

Did you apply it or pay for it to be done? - paid to have it done

How much was it? - $275.00 3yrs ago

How did it work? - No problems. It has kept its color and hasn't chipped or peeled with some very heavy use.

Would you use it again? - Yes.

One last thing - keep in mind that, with the LineX at least, you will be adding about 50 lbs or so to the weight of the truck. This stuff is sprayed on THICK, and it gets heavy.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cruzin90
LINE-X and Rhino differ quite a bit. The biggest difference is that LINE-X contains polyurea and Rhino does not.
Big deal. Rhino is comprised of a two part elastomeric polyurethane (see flexible after application). Results of ASTM elongation tests (D-412) show 325 - 375% before failure.

Polyurea enhances the bedliner’s properties: 1. LINE-X's temperature tolerance is 250 degrees and Rhino's is 175. As the temperature of the bed approaches the temp tolerance, it loses its strength.
Please provide a reference for the claim of 175 degrees for Tuff Stuff. I agree, from a chemical composition standpoint, Polyurea has a higher tolerance to temperatures, but 75 degrees is a pretty bold claim without an adequate reference. Even in Phoenix the measured temps of the interior of vehicles rarely reaches 150 degrees on the hottest day. I highly doubt the surface temp would ever reach a measured 175 degrees...even if it did, it would become more flexible, not lose its strength.

2. Polyurea keeps moisture out of the solution thus making a more dense and solid liner. Less moisture also means better adhesion.
Not entirely true. Polyurea has an increased ability to resist moisture during the application process, reducing the chances of pinholing and foaming. Given a side by side properly applied application, Line-X vs. Rhino, Rhino is more dense per sq in than Line-X. The weight difference can be felt it is so significant. Again, I pulled Line-X out of trucks in sheets.

3. Polyurea also makes for a tougher liner. The tear strength of LINE-X is 304 pounds per linear inch (pli). Rhino is 145 pli.
Yes, utilizing ASTM test method D-624 @ 73 degrees F, Tuff Stuff is rated at 140-150 pli. How does that make for a "tougher liner?" How often do you hack a hunk of your liner out and try to tear it in half? All this proves is that Rhino's Tuff Stuff is very flexible. We all know truck beds, bumpers and body panels flex at some point or another. Whether it be wheeling, temperature extremes, or shifting loads - one thing is certain: the area is going to flex, and if you have a really hard material there, guess what's going to happen?

4. Polyurea sets up very fast, that's one reason why LINE-X goes on with heat and high pressure. LINE-X dries in about 4 seconds, so you get an even application throughout the bed. Rhino takes a minute or so to even gel, an hour or so to dry.
"A minute or so?" Funny, Tuff Stuff set up for us in about 20 seconds. Where did you get that info? What's the problem with an hour or so to dry? We asked that people not throw loads in the bed until 24 hours after spraying. Not a huge selling point if you ask me. Flexibility requires some time to dry, yes.

Before it gels, gravity can pull the liner from the top ridges in to the low valleys. Rhino’s Tuff Stuff goes on cold/low pressure and thus has that “cottage cheese” or “rain on the windshield” look.
Again, we never had a problem with "runny Rhino." And contrary to popular belief, the spray texture goes on at the end, and it is fully adjustable; easily matching Line-X's texture.

LINE-X’s high heat/high pressure system gives it a very nice finished and more consistently applied texture, it’s sort of like an orange peel. The dealer can vary the texture from smooth to very rough.
I agree with you here. The Line-X finished product looks very nice.

5. Polyurea makes the liner more chemical resistant, especially to organic oils and solvents.
"More resistant" huh? More resistant than what? And if you say Rhino, please provide some references.

OK look. I have no ties to Rhino - none at all. I have no reason to "defend their honor" and could really care less how they do in the future. But I felt the facts should be made known. I know a lot of guys run both liners around here so I felt it was important to refute some of these claims.

I would also like to add that Rhino has recently added a comparable (in thickness and hardness) product to their line called Duraspray. It is a low cost alternative, very similar to the Line-X material. You might want to ask about that option too Brian.

Another thing I would like to note is that Rhino Linings is the only company that was selected to be authorized dealers to repair the Frontier and Titan line of trucks, which can come from the factory with a PPG sprayed liner. I wonder why Nissan selected Rhino as the only company they will allow near their trucks in the repair/touch-up process? Oh, maybe because Rhino has been around since 1988 and was the pioneer of the sprayed on bedliner process.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 06-23-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Very informative on both Line-X and Rhino...this will be a good keeper thread if I do say so myself.

Thanks for all the input guys. Keep it coming.

Looks like I will be getting this done w/in the next 3 months, preferably before it gets cold.

Kinda gotta get everything ready b4 I pull the trigger.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by dibble9012
cruzin90, how did you color match the altima, when the altima has metallic paint?

I am cuirous about this as well because when I get my ARB I am going to try and color match it to my 4Runner. How much extra does the color matching normally run?

That Line-X looks really good. Any one got any good pics of the Rhino lining?
Old 06-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Contributing Member

Here's the site - there are a few pictures but nothing up close (that I can find).

EDIT:
oops... here's the site
http://www.rhinolinings.com/RL/main/
Old 02-17-2007, 08:15 PM

I just wanted to revive this thread... I am having my truck Line-Xed this week... The entire bed and the rocker panels with the wheel wells... Total cost is going to be $800.00, not bad considering it is a 8' box.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:41 AM

bringing this back from the dead because Praufet asked about the road noise and I was wondering the same thing. is it going to make the inside sound like a beehive at 60 as I plan on keeping my runner a daily driver and It already smells like a swamp due to the water that seeped in around my dorrs and flooded my inside. Is their a thickness I should be looking for to help it quiet it down or is it even an issue at all?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 08:17 AM

Line-x Fan!

1. Line-X
2. The bed of my pickup over the rail
3. Paid Line-x dealer
4. $400 something in 2003
5. Works great
6. Yes, Planning color matching work soon.