95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Review of the Silblade Silicone Windshield wiper blades on a 3rd gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by survivorman97
long-term assessment?
Another year and another summer down and these are still working great.

No reason to change them at all, worked fine through an ice storm and some heavy rains as well.

I am 100% completely and totally satisfied with them, i have already saved a lot of money, well over what they cost in the 3+ years since i installed them.

See the math a few posts above and add another year to it. I just keep saving more and more money. :-)

By the time 5 years rolls around i will have saved even more and I think they will make it 5 years, if not they will replace them under warantee.

I am now using these on every car i own.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 02-28-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:25 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
do they work when under extream speed due to sc?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by vital22re
do they work when under extream speed due to sc?
LOL, no idea, don't generally go 100mph+ in pouring rain.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:32 PM
totally a bro
Staff

well then you sir, have not fully tested these babies out!
How do they handle the warranty? you say if they fail in year 5 you get a new set? or is it prorated?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by vital22re
well then you sir, have not fully tested these babies out!
How do they handle the warranty? you say if they fail in year 5 you get a new set? or is it prorated?
LOL, well if you want that test done, your going to have to do it yourself.

You get a whole new set is how i understand it. I know i saw 1 case of someone needing a new blade 3 or 4 years into it and they just sent it to him no questions asked.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe people still fall for these stupid expensive wiper blades. I bought some cheap ass silicone bladed units from TardMart in 2008. Maybe $7-8 each. Still perform flawlessly. If you perform the most elementary of maintenance, they'll last for 5 years, at least. Every 3 months or so (whenever I remember, really), I take some silicone spray and soak a paper towel with it pretty well, and wipe down the blade real well. I've been doing the same thing with some Teflon spray as well. No streaks, no squeaks. My truck sees Phoenix summers and Colorado winters, so if rubbish blades last in temps from -10° to 110°, then they've got my vote. They work great and I saved $60 over these ricer blades you guys keep trying to sell yourselves on.

I also found periodically waxing your windshield with a decent cleaner wax does wonders to shed water (almost don't need wipers in light rain on the highway) and keep the glass slick when wet to prevent wearing out blades as quickly.

I can't believe someone made a cost-benefit equation for wiper blades, let alone even having a thread for something so ridiculous. I feel like I'm looking at a ricer post on Honda Tech in 2002.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Do tell how wiper blades are ricer?

You can't even see them, inherent in ricer is something that is big obvious and useless. None of which apply to wiper blades.

Like i said before do whatever you want, i myself and fully satisfied with my purchase, i have not had to touch them in 3 years in any form.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Hey Midget, they dont really cost all that much, you can get them on Amazon now for like $15 that about the same as many others I have seen.
http://www.amazon.com/Silblade-WB122.../dp/B00029X5WO

Question for Texas Ace; I read a review about someone saying that the coating put on your windshield from these blades made it harder for this guy to see out when the headlights of an oncoming car hit his windshield causing a glare. Have you been able to detect anything like that?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by survivorman97
Hey Midget, they dont really cost all that much, you can get them on Amazon now for like $15 that about the same as many others I have seen.
http://www.amazon.com/Silblade-WB122.../dp/B00029X5WO

Question for Texas Ace; I read a review about someone saying that the coating put on your windshield from these blades made it harder for this guy to see out when the headlights of an oncoming car hit his windshield causing a glare. Have you been able to detect anything like that?
Wow, at that price it is a no brainer! Makes sense they would drop in price in the 3 years since i got them though.

They do put a film on the windshield but the only reason i know that is because the area where the wipers are sheds water very well vs the rest that doesn't.

It is perfectly clear on my truck. Did that guy ever use rain-x? When i used that i had those exact problems, it did leave a film that made it glare and hard to see out of. It was not easy to get off either, had to use goof-off or something like that to get it off.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:27 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Last time i checked the thread title was "Review of the Silblade Silicone Windshield wiper blades on a 3rg gen 4runner". Not lets bash a guy for using then expensive wipers. If you want to do your own review midget go for it (in your own thread) otherwise keep your rice hating thoughts to your self.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Are yours 'loose'? I put a set on in the fall, and they worked, but they have a lot of play perpendicular to the wiper arm. They also miss a large part of the windshield, but I assume it's related to the looseness. For the life of me, I can't put on wiper blades by myself, so I don't know where the problem lies.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob Cthulhu
Are yours 'loose'? I put a set on in the fall, and they worked, but they have a lot of play perpendicular to the wiper arm. They also miss a large part of the windshield, but I assume it's related to the looseness. For the life of me, I can't put on wiper blades by myself, so I don't know where the problem lies.
Nope, they work like stock far as fitment goes. The first ones i got didn't work as well and did miss some spots, go back to page 1 to read about that. The new blades have worked without a problem for 3 years now.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Well, figured I would bump this up and give ya'll an update on these silicone wiper blades now that i am almost at the 4 year mark on what are supposed to last 5 year blades.

I am still happy and impressed with these blades. 4 years later and they STILL work great! I truly didn't think that they would last this long but i have been pleasantly surprised.

For all the haters out there i got a few facts to throw your way. My dad bought his car about the same time i got my truck. Installing these wiper blades was one of my first mods, his car was new so it came with new blades.

When it came time for him to replace them i tried to talk him into getting these blades but like some of you he was not sold on it and got some more cheap blades. He went through at least 1 set of blades a year, and often 2 sets of blades were needed.

Well the last time he got blades was about a year ago, this time he got some of the high dollar blades from in the store, think he paid $18 out the door for them, once i found out i told him he should have spent the extra few bucks for silblades but he was still not buying it (he is stubborn).

Now, about 9 months later I was driving his car the other day in a light shower and his wipers are WORTHLESS! utter junk. I know he has been living with them like this for some time as well, they don't get this bad overnight.

On the other hand my blades STILL work like new. He was riding in my truck not too long ago in the rain and the subject came up, he could not believe that these were still the same blades from 4 years ago. I think i FINALLY converted him to the better way lol.

Quick run down on cost.

I spent $50 on blades 4 years ago, have not had to think about them since and everytime i go to wipe my windshield I know they work perfect.

He has spent $100+ on blades in that same 4 years and he has had to fiddle with them and mess with them on a regular basis not to mention living with junk blades for months at a time since blades are one of those things you just keep forgetting till you need them then you are screwed. Safety hazard as well.

I know that i am COMPLETELY satisfied with my choice. Dad, no so much.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 02-01-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:45 PM

Consider this...

Into the kitchen, you have trivets (sometimes made of wood to prevent a hot pan from burning your counter top) that are now made out of silicone. They can stand extreme heat. So, if you can make wiper blades that are made from the same material as trivets...think of it, They're going to last a long time and resist the elements.

I can't wait to get some either. Never heard of them until now. Thanks a bunch, TA!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:44 AM

I run the PIAA wipers in my trucks, and i love them.
Original ones in my 89 (5 years old) and the one piece in my 99' (a year old) both work like new!
(FYI I clean them off with a rag / windex a few times a year, keeps them working great)
Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM

got to add my input,sounds like they work great down south,but not up here in the great white north of Minnesota.
I'm not too happy with them in the cold weather,even in the warmer weather when I installed them they were not cleaning the whole area the same,they would wipe up and look great but when they went back down they would miss a spot right in front of my face! just sayin'
Old 01-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by y2kltdsport
got to add my input,sounds like they work great down south,but not up here in the great white north of Minnesota.
I'm not too happy with them in the cold weather,even in the warmer weather when I installed them they were not cleaning the whole area the same,they would wipe up and look great but when they went back down they would miss a spot right in front of my face! just sayin'
Which model did you get? I had that same problem when I first installed them because I got the flex version. I talked to them on the phone and they swapped them out for some normal style blades and they have worked perfect ever since. Apparently our windshields are too flat to work with the flex style.

Pretty sure this is all documented earlier in this thread.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 PM

thats what I got "flex ultimate", bummer
Old 01-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by y2kltdsport
thats what I got "flex ultimate", bummer
Yep, I figured EXACTLY the same issue I had when I used those blades.

Just get the normal style blades and problem solved.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 PM

5 year update? How are the blades

Quick Reply: Review of the Silblade Silicone Windshield wiper blades on a 3rd gen 4runner