Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Resale Value down for Tacomas/4Runners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
people think its worth so much cuz they paid so much. i mean honestly i think mine is worth at least 3 grand cuz thats how much i paid for it, but i know in my heart its only worth prob about 2. people cant believe the value drops so fast. i mean my moms not getting rid of her expedition even though its almost 110 dollars a week to fill up due to depreciation. its only worth about 3500, and she paid 12000. then again it does have 130,000 miles on it...
I'm sure that's a factor. I mean if you look at luxury or entry-level luxury cars they tend to depreciate faster than other cars. People don't want to pay extra money in the used market for a bunch of gizmos that they don't need, and luxury cars are full of them. It could be a huge shock to someone who spent $45k on their brand new Audi A6 to find in only 4 years it's worth about half that.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 AM

well DUH... you can tow a lot more with the big trucks. the big trucks were designed for heavy duty work, but soccer moms started buyin em. you know what soccer moms say... bigger is better. (until gas gets up to 8 dollars a gallon.. *shudder* what you gonna do then with your new F250 thats about 250 to fill up per week and still making payments on? HA HA!)
Yeah true!

It's sad that Chevy is having to close some of their full size truck factories, but I guess high gas prices are starting to weed out the posers who don't really need a big truck. That being said, I would be a poser and rock a new Tundra every day of the week.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, it is. but if you dont need a big huge truck, WHY would you drive one? i mean my moms got an excuse. she mainly bought the expedition cuz we needed something with more space so we could fit more people on road trips. i truly hope something is done about the gas prices... if it makes it up to 10 or more a gallon im screwed. 120 to fill up my truck? jesus.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:14 AM

You're right, there aren't many people who regularly tow 9-10,000 lbs, I know I sure as heck don't. I guess the same can be said about a Z06 Corvette. Why own it if you aren't taking it to the track every weekend?

I personally won't every buy a new Tundra, the new Tacoma is big enough. And like you said, gas prices don't look like they will come down any time soon. Buying a huge thirsty truck would be bank account suicide.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:17 AM

i mean hell owning the ones we own will soon be a bank account suicide. which SUCKS. and THATS why im joining the navy, so ill never be unemployed and can always afford to keep her, and be happy and not miserable
Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 AM

Maybe you can fly one of these bad boys in the Navy, and you won't have to worry about the cost to fill it up:

Old 06-25-2008, 10:30 AM

NOTE if you are looking at KBB you MUST look at trade in value and good to fair condition. 90% of the dealers out there will only pay this for your ride. also this is what your insurance company will write you a check for if it is a "totaled car" dont expect to get more then that. that being said, most people can get more from their neighbor! we all know these trucks are worth more then the dealer will give thats why most trucks dont ever dip below 1500 bucks if they run. ive worked in the "car biz" for years
Old 06-25-2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by TexanTaco
Maybe you can fly one of these bad boys in the Navy, and you won't have to worry about the cost to fill it up:

id love to, but i think id have to join the marines for that, and lets face it, im not tough enough to be a marine. if i were to join the marines, my nickname would be gomer. also, i doubt i can ever be a pilot, since my eyesight ISNT 20/20. i mean i only need glasses when i read (but i still dont wear em even then cuz the glasses are in vegas) but stuff isnt nearly as clear as they used to be.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OP your talking about our trucks being small..and gas prices being high..im guessing your hinting at them getting good gas mileage..well..on average a toyota 4x4 truck gets about 20mpg...as much as 27 or 29..and as low as 10 or 12mpgs....20mpg...4x4...with swampers..is one of the reasons i got my toyota...but there for a while..i was only getting about 13 or 14 mpgs with my rig...the '85 chevy that i almost bought for $3000 (6in lift and 35x13.50's with a 305small block and 5spd standard tranny) got over 15...but decided to go with the ole yoter (and glad i did....i guess..lol) i guess what im saying is..i dont think people buy toyotas because of the gas mileage..its because of reliability...full size trucks nowadays are getting over 20mpg's on the highway..and diesel's get on average like 24mpg hwy and like 18 to 20 city...so our trucks dont do much better than any of the others..idk i think i forgot what i originally meant to post...lol
Old 06-25-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
..idk i think i forgot what i originally meant to post...lol
must have been Bull S... then.... lol
Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 AM

id love to, but i think id have to join the marines for that, and lets face it, im not tough enough to be a marine.
actually youd have to join the iranian air force to fly that...we dont have F-14s anymore, and you could be a marine, its not that hard. i just got out and im thinking about going back in for a lot of reasons, job security in this crazy world is one of them...
Old 06-25-2008, 12:24 PM

i mean my moms not getting rid of her expedition even though its almost 110 dollars a week to fill up due to depreciation. its only worth about 3500, and she paid 12000. then again it does have 130,000 miles on it...
Ok, I don't think too many people have caught onto this yet, but situations like this would make me think about what else I can do to, 1) ease the pains from gas expenses and 2) lessen the pollution.

At $110 a week, that is $5,720 per year. You could spend $6,000 and get a Civic/Accord/etc. all day (pretty nice one, with less than 100k miles). People say, "well, then you have to pay insurance, gas, tires, etc. on top of that." However, while that is true, you are saving wear and tear from your big rig, maintenance/repair items on an Accord/Civic is less than 1/2 of an SUV like the Expedition (1/2 of the spark plugs/wires required, tires are way cheaper, etc.). Plus, the $6k you spent is not ALL gone up in fumes, unlike if you would've kept the SUV for a year. You can still get $5k or more after a year's driving, especially with the currect gas prices. So in reality, you've SAVED money while keeping the miles/wear&tear off of your SUV.

If you drive less than 15k a year, you could even lease an Accord/Civic/Mazda/Toyota for ~$200 per month. You'd still come up better than just daily driving the big rig.

Anyway, that's my $.02. I love my truck, but right now, I love my Integra a lot more. (38MPG!!! )
Old 06-25-2008, 12:41 PM

tell my mom that one... she loves her gas guzzlin baby... lol
Old 06-25-2008, 01:01 PM

tell my mom that one... she loves her gas guzzlin baby... lol
Yeah, no offense to your mom, but it really irks me when I see a huge SUV (Yukon, Escalade, Expedition, etc.) with a driver by his/herself, going 85 in the fast lane. Probably getting 8 MPG and using up all that gas. No wonder the gas prices are hitting an all-time high.

They're taking our gas!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:26 PM

she has the suv for the family. she just drives it to work. we didnt buy it for only her, we bought it so we could all fit into it comfortably. (we're always doing family stuff, at least 5 times a month that thing is filled to capacity with people.). plus we used to tow our big boat with it. so we actually have reasons for having it besides looking cool. plus she never goes over 70 with it. (unless we're going to vegas, then its 75-80). i personally have had it up to 99, then the speed governer kicked in(she was asleep, of course... teehee). around down i dont speed in it, but if im on a long trip, then ill speed.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
OP your talking about our trucks being small..and gas prices being high..im guessing your hinting at them getting good gas mileage..well..on average a toyota 4x4 truck gets about 20mpg...as much as 27 or 29..and as low as 10 or 12mpgs....20mpg...4x4...with swampers..is one of the reasons i got my toyota...but there for a while..i was only getting about 13 or 14 mpgs with my rig...the '85 chevy that i almost bought for $3000 (6in lift and 35x13.50's with a 305small block and 5spd standard tranny) got over 15...but decided to go with the ole yoter (and glad i did....i guess..lol) i guess what im saying is..i dont think people buy toyotas because of the gas mileage..its because of reliability...full size trucks nowadays are getting over 20mpg's on the highway..and diesel's get on average like 24mpg hwy and like 18 to 20 city...so our trucks dont do much better than any of the others..idk i think i forgot what i originally meant to post...lol

I hear ya, and I would say that even 20mpg combined city/hwy is really stretching it with any V6 Toyota truck. They aren't the most fuel efficient, but you have to admit 17-20 is better than 12-15mpg in a new Dodge Ram or Tundra (and those gas tanks cost a fortune to fill up!). But a Tacoma can only do half of what those trucks can, so it's a trade off. I agree that people want Toyota trucks for reliability, that's why you see so many small business owners with them.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by PatHLC128
actually youd have to join the iranian air force to fly that...we dont have F-14s anymore, and you could be a marine, its not that hard. i just got out and im thinking about going back in for a lot of reasons, job security in this crazy world is one of them...
Yeah no more F-14's unfortunately. What replaced the Tomcat? The F-22? But that's Air Force so I'm not sure.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by TexanTaco
Yeah no more F-14's unfortunately. What replaced the Tomcat? The F-22? But that's Air Force so I'm not sure.
the F-18 super hornets took over for the tomcat, theyre nasty. they can do air to air as well as air to ground. yeah the air force is playing around with f-22s but theres another stealth fighter that the navy and marine corps are looking at too but its years away.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by PatHLC128
the F-18 super hornets took over for the tomcat, theyre nasty. they can do air to air as well as air to ground. yeah the air force is playing around with f-22s but theres another stealth fighter that the navy and marine corps are looking at too but its years away.
I can imagine a F-18 Super Hornet would be a scary sight to the opposition, if they even get the chance to see it!

Wasn't there a Super Tomcat at one point also? I know they go through a lot of updates with each fighter.

Ok this thread got way off topic.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by fooldall
Modded SmartCar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5S1N...eature=related

Of course, I could fire a peice of dog out of a cannon at 9.8 m/s, doesn't mean I'd drive it. I'll stick with my 4runner.
Thats the funniest thing ive ever seen.

Quick Reply: Resale Value down for Tacomas/4Runners?