Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Remove/replace gauge cluster faceplate cover on 3Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove/replace gauge cluster faceplate cover on 3Gen?

Somehow, that clear plastic faceplate/cover that protects the gauge cluster in my 1996 truck has gotten milky/smeared looking ON THE INSIDE. I can also see where soap or some other cleaner has leaked inside through that little knob that resets the trip odometer-- the P/O's detailer went overboard!

On a related note, the black plastic panel right below the faceplate (that panel immediately above the ignition cylinder) has a long, deep scratch-- looks like it was made by something that hung up on someone's key ring when they turned their key to start the engine, because the scratch is in the shape of an arc (and it looks like it happened several times).

Questions:

1. Does anyone know the technicallly correct name for these parts?

1. How hard is it to remove, clean and replace the faceplate thingy?

2. If it's not possible to clean it up right, does anyone know how much $ is involved to buy a replacement for the faceplate?

3. Same question re the black trim piece iunderneath the face plate-- how much to replace?

Thanks for your help.

Carl
Old 01-18-2003, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carl,

I've got a similar problem on my 91 4Runner, the clear plastic cover has a stress crack running up from the bottom right between the tach and speedo. I've just had to live with it because finding a replacement part has been difficult and more expensive than its worth.

If all you need to do is clean it, then no big deal. You have to remove the guage cluster (1-2hr). Once you have the guages/instrument panel box out and disconnected from the vehicle, you can separate the cover from the instrument panel. If the 3rd gen is at all like the 2nd gen, it should just snap off. Be careful not to break any of the little plastic teeth. Sometimes cleaner and other chemicals get in there and gum it up.

Once the two are apart, you can clean it all you want. A few members have done write ups on similiar jobs like installing indiglo guages or putting graphite covers around the instrument dials.

UKMyers '91 4Runner
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...ey_indiglo.htm

Let me know if you find a place to buy a new clear cover, if the price is right I might replace mine.

Last edited by Travis; 01-18-2003 at 08:42 AM.