Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

remote starters for man. transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sorry 4 jacking your thread Vhilts!!
But...

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
There is a reason why those are installed by the manufacturer. Sure you can bypass them, but if something happens and you are proven to have disabled any safety mechanisms, your case is toast. Again, certainly can be done, but definately not suggested by most on this board. You'd think it was pretty much common sense.
I don't know about in your part of the world but here in VA it's against the law to modify your vehical other than stock by the decreed of the Virginia State Police.
So in that respect my 32in tires, Flex-a-lite fan, 4in. lift, blah blah blah is all not suggested w/ that state of mind.
In this modern day green peace tree hug'n world we live in all of my 5 Toyota's are illegal.
The guy asked how can HE hook it up. Not how can HE please the courts and the po-po.

I don't try to come off as a jerk ,but it's afull hard w/ comments such as yours. Spelling/Grammer Nazi's get no respect from me nor those that fell that the need to point out the obvious.

He asked for help and I provided an option.
What is it again that you provided?????
O YA Nothing that he asked for.

C-YA!!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

OK...I now KNOW what is wrong with this forum...far too many people post here without taking the time to get a feel for the place. There ought to be a 'waiting period' so some clown with about 10 posts won't be talking poorly to some of it's most valued and informative members (which I don't include myself in, BTW). At risk of sounding nostalgic, I miss the 'old' yotatech...

Last edited by Blair; 04-05-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Blair
OK...I now KNOW what is wrong with this forum...far too many people post here without taking the time to get a feel for the place. There ought to be a 'waiting period' so some clown with about 10 posts won't be talking poorly to some of it's most valued and informative members (which I don't include myself in, BTW). At risk of sounding nostalgic, I miss the 'old' yotatech...
I'm sorry if my statements to MTL Runner have botherd you.
I figure your statement is pointed/generated at me from my low post count versus his 4,000 or so.

I am here to learn and help others that I can along the way.
You will not see me flame others for no reason ever!!!
Unless I am dragged into it by pointless comments meant to be hurtfull(or whatever you want to call it).

I have been racing Toyota's for over 5 years. I'm not a noob to the industry nor to mechanics. I have worked at Millennium for a good while and help produce some of the fastest Imports in our area.
Knowledge/helpfullness can't be measured by post counts.
So once again sorry for all of this.

I think almost all talk forums have been invaded by what many like to call as "E Thugs".

Club4ag ( a site I have been going to for almost 6 years)was one of the best sites ever for knowledge and helpfull poeple.
Slowly but surely there are those (OG's) that want to point out search engines,speeling,puncuation, blah blah blah due to the amount of times they see multiple post of the same topic. Instead of just being helpfull and decent.

You are correct. I miss those good old days too. No slander,flaming, etc.
Just helpfull advise and tech.

C-YA!!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Oh no, please (to all) don't take it personally, I'm just getting cranky in general to some of the knee-jerk reactions that I'm seeing lately. If you see yourself in any of this it's not intentional on my part. It just seems that the board is slowly degrading into something that most of us left. What we all need to keep in mind, and are often reminded by our hard-working Mods, is that Yotatech is a friendly, family oriented forum. Some of the swearing and some of the pics posted lately are hardly in that vein. Also, keep in mind that some of us read and post with young children at our sides, and sometimes on our laps. It's hard to explain to a 5 yr. old what a large-breasted woman has to do with Toyotas, or what all those $%&#* signs mean.
Hope this helps in ameliorating things...
Old 04-06-2005, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MDNT TOY
I'm sorry if my statements to MTL Runner have botherd you.
I figure your statement is pointed/generated at me from my low post count versus his 4,000 or so.

I am here to learn and help others that I can along the way.
You will not see me flame others for no reason ever!!!
Unless I am dragged into it by pointless comments meant to be hurtfull(or whatever you want to call it).

I have been racing Toyota's for over 5 years. I'm not a noob to the industry nor to mechanics. I have worked at Millennium for a good while and help produce some of the fastest Imports in our area.
Knowledge/helpfullness can't be measured by post counts.
So once again sorry for all of this.

I think almost all talk forums have been invaded by what many like to call as "E Thugs".

Club4ag ( a site I have been going to for almost 6 years)was one of the best sites ever for knowledge and helpfull poeple.
Slowly but surely there are those (OG's) that want to point out search engines,speeling,puncuation, blah blah blah due to the amount of times they see multiple post of the same topic. Instead of just being helpfull and decent.

You are correct. I miss those good old days too. No slander,flaming, etc.
Just helpfull advise and tech.

C-YA!!
I appreciate the apology but I try not to take stuff too personally because people do have differring opinions and regardless of the number of posts you have under your avatar, I would hope people post when they feel they honestly have something to add. We are all here to share and learn, myself included. I think Yotatech still has one of the best forums out there and I hope the good sentiment continues well into the future. Props to our fantastic moderators!

My statement was not necessarily pointed at anyone, I just wanted to make sure that people understand that it is really not such a good idea to bypass safety mechanisms such as neutral start switches or clutch switches because they are there for a reason (ie to prevent you from rolling into something else when the vehicle is started). For this same reason it is not a good idea to install a remote start in a manual vehicle (and why a good many install shops will flat out refuse to do it). Some people will say "ahhhh, I'll always leave it in neutral" or "I never let anyone else borrow my truck" or "it would never start accidentally" or "I'll never forget to....(fill in the blank)".....and for some this may be true and nothing will ever happen, but there is definately potential for disaster and for that, it is not a suggested thing to do. Whether you wish to follow that or not is completely up to the individual.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 04-06-2005 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MDNT TOY
I am sorry 4 jacking your thread Vhilts!!
But...

I don't know about in your part of the world but here in VA it's against the law to modify your vehical other than stock by the decreed of the Virginia State Police.
So in that respect my 32in tires, Flex-a-lite fan, 4in. lift, blah blah blah is all not suggested w/ that state of mind.
In this modern day green peace tree hug'n world we live in all of my 5 Toyota's are illegal.
The guy asked how can HE hook it up. Not how can HE please the courts and the po-po.

I don't try to come off as a jerk ,but it's afull hard w/ comments such as yours. Spelling/Grammer Nazi's get no respect from me nor those that fell that the need to point out the obvious.

He asked for help and I provided an option.
What is it again that you provided?????
O YA Nothing that he asked for.

C-YA!!
My trucks illegal then, lol. I didn’t know that about VA, it’s sad that VA is like that, I mean, we are the only state that does not allow radar detectors too. I don’t think they enforce it that much cause you see ppl here with modified trucks all the time. I agree with some other posts on this forum, there are many threads that are not appropriate and are not "family oriented" Although some may be funny, I know I wouldn’t want my little brother or sister to see them (if I had a little brother or sister, lol)
Old 04-06-2005, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

hmm i wonder if having the huge "warning remote start installed" label under the hood will fail my car for inspection.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:45 AM

Im thinking so... especially since up there you dont have all those cheap "latino decent" shops where you can bribe the inspection guy.

Not that I approve of that sort of thing
Old 04-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Im going to call the state police and ask them about remote starts. Ill let everyone know what the final answer is. Wouldnt think remote start is illegal if installed correctly. I think they are making this situation even worse, now people are trying to hide remote starts, and other mods, making it dangerous for the mechanic working on the car. I always let the mechanic know it has remote start, but that knowledge may not go to the whole mechanic team that may be working on my truck.