95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Regular Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular Maintenance

OK...

As most of you know, I have really ˟˟˟˟˟ty mileage (10.8-11.2) and obviously have chosen to go ahead and do the regular maintenance items before checking the 02 sensor and cat.

Today I am doing the oil change and will try and do the distributor cap and rotor with time permitting. How hard are they to do? How do I know which plug wires go where, I know the cap is labeled but will the actual wires be labled or will that left up to me? I will get the rotor today when I go to my stealer and try and locate that and figure out the the installation.

After the oil change, cap and rotor (those may wait til this weekend, I have 2 papers and 3 huge test this week so..)

I may end up taking the rig to the dealer this coming Saturday to have the 02 sensor and cat checked (I would rather have the dealer go ahead and check the 02 so that way I can just have them replace it with what I KNOW is a Toyota 02 sensor).

I may go ahead and get a new air filter too, even though it isn't that bad I do live on a dirt road and have around a 650-700 foot gravel drive so I may not even be able to see how clogged up the filter really is. How much would an air filter cost at the dealer? Are there any alternative air filters that are better than the dealer that I can just drop in the factory spot? If so, what are they and how much?

I just want some overall input on my thought train as far as improving my mileage and getting my rig in top notch shape...or as close to is as we can

ANY AND ALL comments/suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks,

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 10-07-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just pay attention to the firing order. I solve this problem by moving one wire at a time, from the old cap to the new. Trust me, if you screw up the firing order, you'll know it!

Are you doing the rotor too? It should come with the kit. These are really easy to change out. You should be fine.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I solve this problem by moving one wire at a time, from the old cap to the new.
This is the way I've done it in the past, works really well. Just set the new one on the motor and move all the wires over. Then remove the two screws on the old cap and take it off. Reach in and pull off the rotor, it's that easy. Reinstall your new rotor and 'wired' cap and your done. It shouldn't take much time at all.

Air filter at the dealer should be $10-15. Normally if your O2 sensor is bad it will throw a CEL. Checking the cat will most likely require a physical inspection of the inside.

Two things that you haven't mentioned that I would look at...how old are your spark plugs? What condition are they in and what is the current gap? I would replace these anyway and they are cheap. How long has it been since you've replaced your fuel filter? Just two more things to think about that could help in the long run...
Old 10-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice <96 as well as you Faded.

Did the oil and oil filter today. Also, I checked my tires, they were around the 25-29 range so I inflated them to 35 to see what that would do for my mileage.

Plugs were done pretty recently, about 1 1/2 - 2 months ago so they shouldn't be too bad. They did use Bosch plugs though...wonder if that could be causing it.

OK...the fuel filter. I am talking to AgRunner about it right now. I talked to the dealer and they swore up and down that it would last a lifetime and it would cost me 100 for them to do it. Screw that my friends!!! I will go get it from the dealer for the nice discounted price of about 20-25 and then go to my local place and they may end up doing it for free since I give them so much business.

So...sounds like sometime this week I will be going back to the dealer and getting a new air filter and fuel filter. Is there a better air filter that I could use? That is not OEM that I could get at like AutoZone or somethin?

I may also pick up a new 02 sensor and do the install myself.

Any other comments/suggestions on the installations or ANYTHING are MORE than welcome!

Fink

Thanks for the replies you two!
Old 10-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

OK...here is my decision.

Thursday I will go to the dealer...get an 02 sensor, air filter (unless somebody tells me of a better one than OEM that will fit in the OEM space) and fuel filter.

Over the weekend I will TRY and install the cap, rotor, 02 sensor, air filter (easy), and possibly the fuel filter.

Sounds like some fun.

What do you all think of my plan so far?

As always...all comments are welcome!

Fink
Old 10-08-2003, 05:52 AM

Get an amsoil air filter for about $25 (search this site for details) or a K&N. They will cost more, but are lifetime filters that will let your engine breath easier. The cap and rotor are easy. Bolt on bolt off, just do one wire at a time (as mentioned). Also, might consider replacing the spark plugs with some OEM spark plugs while you are at it. As for the fuel filter, its a biotch (details of fuel filter replacement) but doable. As for the O2 sensor, check your owners manual. The one for my 95 runner said I get a free O2 sensor at 80k. Ran this by the dealer and they were skeptical, but ended up honoring what the manual said ( = free $80 O2 sensor for me ). Otherwise, blast the old sensor with some sort of rust penetrant 1 day prior to removal.

When its said and done, though, don't expect much gas mileage improvement. Check out what I've tried to improve gas mileage (non of which has helped really, but good maintenance nonetheless).

Lastly, I recently came up with the idea of clamping down the vac hose between my EGR modulator and EGR valve so the EGR valve doesn't open until higher RPM. So far this has seemed to improve power in that I have more of it and don't have a sluggish engine response that suddenly kicks in at 2,800 RPM. However, I'll have to run a few tanks of gas before knowing if its helps with mpg (I'll post some results in a week or 2).

Best of luck.

Last edited by szf2; 10-08-2003 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Don't buy filters and such from a dealer;just do the AMSOil filter and never buy one again or buy the TRD version from Conicelli Motors on-line for around $60 if you gotta have Toyota. I've always just bought fuel/oil filters from a local parts place and have never had problems. I used Puraltor PureOne oil filters on my Eclipse with no probs and I'll probably start using them on the 4Runner when I do my first oil change.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

I dont think Amsoil makes an air filter for the 3.0...
Old 10-08-2003, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Ooops,I didn't see it was a 2nd gen;I guess the TRD one might be the best option.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

I'm at around 127,000 though...I don't even know if it's been replaced before or not. I will do the installation of the 02 sensor myself, after talking to AgRunner about it, it sounds pretty simple. I will hit it with some WD-40 the day before I do it.

I doubt the dealer will give me a free one...

About the K&N filter, will that fit in the same spot as the Toyota filter? If so, how much is it? If it will give me better performance and isn't too much more than the Toyota one then I will go ahead and get it.

About the fuel filter, I will probably go ahead and get it from Toyota unless there is a better one. I can get the Toyota one for a really good price because I have "the hook up" at the local stealership.

What do you guys think about this?

Toyota 02 Sensor, K&N or Amsoil Air Filter (depending on price differences) and Toyota Fuel Filter.

If that doesn't sound good, just make up a list of recommended items and the prices if you can get them and I'll see if I can find out how to get them here locally.

I just want the best stuff I can get without having to mod anything...I don't think I know enough to mod anything like the air filter or fuel filter or anything.

Just let me know what you guys think would be a good setup that would help the performance and get better mileage.

Thanks in advance,

Fink
Old 10-08-2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
About the K&N filter, will that fit in the same spot as the Toyota filter? If so, how much is it? If it will give me better performance and isn't too much more than the Toyota one then I will go ahead and get it.
Yes, the K&N fits in the same spot. I dunno if I'd recommend it though, I've had one in the 4R and my truck and I took them both out. They didn't seem to filter as good as the stock one in super dusty conditions. I always cleaned/recharged them every 3k when I changed my oil too. I would just get the stock filter, performance gains from a K&N are not that great. Expect to pay $40-$50 for one too. If you have to have one I'll send you one of mine.

Your plans sounds good as far as what you are doing and what parts you are using. You should feel confident, you can't go wrong with those stock Toyota parts.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would second the use of OEM parts only....otherwise you are asking for trouble.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:45 AM

On the O2 sensor, used "Liquid Wrench", "Rust Eater", or similar. These are "penetrating" sprays that loosen rust better than WD-40. As for the free O2 sensor, if you don't want to check its your choice ( = $80). However my owners manual says in the O2 sensor section something equivalent to "Bring vehicle to dealer for free O2 replacement at 80,000 miles". Not that difficult to misinterpret (even by a stealer ). Of course, my dealer didn't believe it and it took a couple days (checking w/ Toyota etc) before they said OK, but after that it was a done deal. They also said only 1 other person had noticed that and brought the vehicle to their shop and further said it was for 95 4runners only. Whatever the case its time well spent if 5minutes reading saves you $80. My $0.02.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Is that EVERY 80k or once the mileage gets to 80? I will call them after school and ask them about it. Is that just for the sensor itself or the install also?

Sounds like I need to get all OEM filters, when I go in there I'll ask my buddy about it. Even if the dealer doesn't believe it and they just will NOT do it I will still get a discount on it anyway.

What about the installation of the 02 sensor...pretty simple? I will search for a write-up on it in a little bit.

So, I'll try and run by the stealer after school today or tomorrow and see what they can do for me as far filters and a free 02 sensor

Where could I get some "Liquid Wrench?" Local auto supply store or maybe Lowe's?

Thanks SO much for all your help, it feels good making my truck feel like new again!

Any more comments are welcome! I need all the help and advice I can get at this point!

Thanks again,

Fink

Old 10-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Heading to the dealer now to get the air filter. I am going to wait on the fuel filter and 02 sensor until I get some more info on the free 02 sensor and some other info on the fuel filter and stuff.

Thanks for the help so far, I'm gonna be needing more later so keep the comments comin for future reference.

Thanks all!

Fink
Old 10-08-2003, 05:04 PM

Is that EVERY 80k or once the mileage gets to 80? I will call them after school and ask them about it. Is that just for the sensor itself or the install also?
YOU HAVE TO READ YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL. It will be a cold day in he!! before a dealer will just do something for free. You need something in writing that says they have to (e.g. your owner's manual). Just to make this crystal clear, I snapped a pic. of what my owner's manual says (pg. 164). Pay attention to what it says for O2 sensor replacement.

Pg. 159 says to only replace the O2 sensor once at 80k, so I'm guessing the dealer only does it once. Anyway, thought you might want to check since your 4runner is 1994 (if I remember right from your profile) and the manuals may have been the same between 94 and 95.

Last edited by szf2; 10-08-2003 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:50 AM

szf2,

He should be in luck!

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
My Rig:
Black 1995 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD Automatic (~127,000mi)
Old 10-09-2003, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah good call. You should start a thread on a free O2 replacement for 95's.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:38 AM

I think he already has...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=18934
Old 10-09-2003, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Faded
I think he already has...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=18934
I knew that, I was just seeing if you were paying attention.

Quick Reply: Regular Maintenance