Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Recoloring interior of 3rd gen 4runner...PICS included

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trade in price wasn't a price that I was very happy with. Seeing that it wasn't my car and it was owned by my parents they were okay with it but I definately would rather have sold it on YT for the price the dealership bought it for and it would have gone in a second too. My parents just didn't want to deal with the hassle of selling it private party I guess. I don't really want to disclose the price...it'll just make me mad.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Ouch! tv thats too bad...
dealerships will almost always lowball the price especially when the vehicle has been "customized"...
what did you mean by "not worth the upkeep for a DD"... I'm thinking of doing the recolour myself when I get my baby back from the shop and it is a dd... is the black an extra PITA to keep clean? special cleaners needed after recolour?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Ouch! tv thats too bad...
dealerships will almost always lowball the price especially when the vehicle has been "customized"...
what did you mean by "not worth the upkeep for a DD"... I'm thinking of doing the recolour myself when I get my baby back from the shop and it is a dd... is the black an extra PITA to keep clean? special cleaners needed after recolour?
It's not a pita to keep clean but the lower panels and kickpanels can become scratched and worn over time. You'll have to probably recoat once every 18 months or so. Thats what the upkeep was for my silver panels atleast the part where I rub on the driver door controls. You have to be extra careful with certain operations to keep from scratching I guess. However its not so bad during the 2 months I used it when everything was black.

Originally Posted by FUZION
What was it traded in for afterall?
I misunderstood your question. My parents got a 2007 Acura TSX to replace the truck. For now I get to drive my mom's 05' Highlander for a few months anyway. I put a post in the off-topic about it.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned

man i hate to see the truck traded in, especially since your parents dont see what hard work you did to the truck.

I truely love this thread and appreciate you posting this up, i may do this to my truck in the future, that is some inspiration for others i would definitely imagine
Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 PM

I definately learned alot from this and when I do it next time, I'll do it right with the right finances...everything will turn out alot better and nicer. Three more years and I'll graduate and come back with another 4runner. Til then I'll still be here to help out other yt'ers with what little advice I can divulge.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:04 PM

god luck and godspeed, this has been a pleasure to read
Old 06-20-2007, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=tv4184;50555795]It's not a pita to keep clean but the lower panels and kickpanels can become scratched and worn over time. You'll have to probably recoat once every 18 months or so. Thats what the upkeep was for my silver panels atleast the part where I rub on the driver door controls. You have to be extra careful with certain operations to keep from scratching I guess. However its not so bad during the 2 months I used it when everything was black.[QUOTE]

I see what you mean now. Yeah I know that can be a PITA the paint rubs off very easily I've had that happen before with some stuff I've painted... If I recall I had good results when I added a clear topcoat over the colour but I don't know if that would work for these applications... as far as lower panel scratches go my interior is grey so they should'nt show as much

Last edited by aviator; 06-20-2007 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:23 AM

In my first car before the 4runner, I had clear coated everything, it was pretty good. You'd have to use some sort of flat spray paint for clear coat though since the interior shouldn't be glossy. Maybe satin clear or something. That wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:04 PM

I would like to know how all this is holding up.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by onesojourner
I would like to know how all this is holding up.
He sold the truck, and for a while (not sur about now) had most of the parts I sold him to complete the conversion back up for sale on here. If he used vinyl paint/plastic paint and not just el-cheapo Krylon, it should hold up excellent.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:50 PM

The door panels needed better prep work. They bubbled when they were drying up. The carpet needed to be blacker. There are alot of things I would do better...on my next 3rd gen.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Well hurry up and get one, and get rid of that damn acura!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Good to see you're still around tv I'm working on a set of complete custom door panels. (and YES everyone there will be a complete how to post up about it...) as for recolouring the dash I'm a little chicken so I'm assembling all the dash parts from other trucks so if it does'nt workout I can switch back with no problems...
Old 12-19-2007, 04:40 PM

Can't be doing that right now. I can only do that with my own pay check. That's another 2 and half years from now. Besides as bad as it sounds...the Acura doesn't give me any trouble and I don't have the mod bug with it like I did with the 4Runner. I just can't afford to have a project car while I'm still in school. I'd rather have it when I can afford to have everything done right the first time.

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Well hurry up and get one, and get rid of that damn acura!
Old 05-24-2008, 07:36 AM

alrighty, who here knows how the crap to get my headliner down so i can reuphoulster it?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by bran52191
alrighty, who here knows how the crap to get my headliner down so i can reuphoulster it?
You gotta take off all the parts that keep the headliner up..all the plastic panels along the front top, the rear pieces on the hatch, the lights, the rear view mirror, and then I broke the round tabs that hold them in as well.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did it add a different texture to the surface of your panels? cause i am thinking of re-doing my interior luxury colours if i dont sell it. How many cans would you recommend?
Old 05-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

I can't comment on tv's job but on mine so far I noticed that the dash has a slightly sandpaper-ish feel to it, but I only have the first coats on I figure a light pass with a scotchbrite pad and the final coat spraying 90* to my first one will solve that problem and take care of the slight pass pattern I can see in certain lights, but I'm a little particular about the finish.
I noticed that a couple of spots where there are round corners on the lower dash where the plastic had worn shiney did'nt hold the paint as well. I would do a light scotchbrite pass on them also before painting next time.
I've been using the Dupli-colour brand matte black plastic/vinyl paint and it seems to cover very well, best spray I've ever worked with actually, just be sure to shake it very well like for 5mins before first use and then every few mins while spraying, wash the plastic parts with dish soap and rinse and dry well. Don't touch the clean plastic with bare hands before you paint wear latex/nytril gloves and your fingure oil won't get on the plastic and interfere with the paint bond.

The dupli-colur comes in factory match and a variety of custom colours and was reasonably priced at NAPA

Last edited by aviator; 05-24-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 PM

Mine turned out to not lose very much texture. It just all depends on your prep work. I wish I knew where the truck is now. I'd probably buy it back haha.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

hey tv, Good to see you back in the 'hood...

Quick Reply: Recoloring interior of 3rd gen 4runner...PICS included