Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rattle in dash is driving me nuts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle in dash is driving me nuts!!!

I have a really annoying rattle in my dash (sounds like a cable or wire harness is loose behind the cluster - only does it going over a bump). A few weeks ago I took it to the dealer and they said it was fixed. But of course, it isn't. Going to the dealer is an all day affair and NO loaner car. I think it is coming from behind the stereo or speedo cluster. Is there an easy way to take off the facia around the radio? It is easy to duplicate the noise (just go over any bump). Maybe if I take off some of the stuff a friend can drive and I can finally pinpoint the annoying rattle. Any ideas or help in the Kansas City area?
Old 11-20-2002, 04:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
KC:

I'll post some pics tonite by midnite (sorry, I'm busy).

It's pretty easy. Just requires a philips head screwdriver. I'll try to write some instructions too.

Bob
Old 11-20-2002, 11:59 PM

Check your sunglass's holder up top by the moonroof...I thought I had a dash rattle too, turned out to be that dang holder...a little piece of felt shuts it right up

If you need/want to remove your dash, first pop up the plastic around the E-brake , then the plastic around the shifter/4wd shifter, then finally just pop down the main piece around the radio, and unplug all the harness's, and watch where they come from, there is one blank plug that is not used, and has no pins, I accidentally plug'd on of the others into it once or twice They do swap plugs..
Old 11-21-2002, 03:56 AM

Hey TRD Phx:

Got any pics of your ride??

Paul
Old 11-21-2002, 04:28 AM
Contributing Member

I also have a rattle that has been driving me apeahit. I think it's under my glove compartment, maybe a heater duct or something. Mine seems to rattle when I sit at an idle, like at a red light. It disappears when I begin to increase the idle.

I am pissed about the quality of my 02. :mad:
The drivers side window sill holds water long after it rains until I come to a stop, naturally with my window down and spills it all over my left leg and door. The dealer here also "fixed" that problem...oh wait, they failed again. Has anyone else been experiencing this anomaly?

Oh, additionally, how about an extremely noisy drivers side window motor, kinda like a Formula racing car noise!

How's that for a word, Anomaly=glitch :confused:

Last edited by 02Runner; 11-21-2002 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:43 AM

If you can, have someone else drive with you in the passenger seat to get a different perspective on the location. I had a very annoying rattle I thought was in the driver's side doors (f/b). It turns out it was something in the small storage compartment in the back??? Easy fix, but annoying to find.

Rick
'98 4Runner SR5

Last edited by rleec; 11-21-2002 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:02 PM
Erc

Yup, mine rattles too. Definitely sounds like it's coming from somewhere in the dash. I didn't bother taking it to the dealer.. I know they won't fix it right, hell.. they couldn't put right pressure in my tires!
Old 11-21-2002, 12:11 PM

kc:

didn't forget about you. i was pressed for time last nite. ill try to post something by friday.

Bob
Old 11-21-2002, 01:12 PM
Erc

Check this out

Last edited by Erc; 11-21-2002 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:51 PM

There ya go! Thanks ERC

To add to #4, make sure you take off the climate control dials and lever knobs b/f prying off the AC control plastic plate. Also, if you have a screwdriver bit holder, get it out b/c the bottom left screw is recessed pretty far back and if you drop it, good luck finding it in there.

Make sure you also have some cable ties to secure anything loose in there like wire bundles, etc.

You might also want to remove the lower panel on the driver's side and take a look-see back there too. Here's a graphic from my Valentine One write up I posted a week ago:

Bob
Old 11-21-2002, 02:17 PM

Well I started to pull apart the dash and then decided to let the dealer have a last stab at it. Today I went in person to speak with the service manager. They are going to have it all day tomorrow, but i'm going to take him on a test drive before I drop it off to make sure I don't get the same line of "sorry, but we can't replicate the problem". I'll report back my results....
Old 11-21-2002, 02:19 PM
Erc

Originally posted by kc4runner
Well I started to pull apart the dash and then decided to let the dealer have a last stab at it. Today I went in person to speak with the service manager. They are going to have it all day tomorrow, but i'm going to take him on a test drive before I drop it off to make sure I don't get the same line of "sorry, but we can't replicate the problem". I'll report back my results....
If they DO fix it for ya, be sure to ask what was causing it, so you can tell the rest of us what to look for!
Thanks
Old 11-21-2002, 02:45 PM

mine never rattles when some one from the dealership is present:mad:
Old 11-21-2002, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by pfdaxe
Hey TRD Phx:

Got any pics of your ride??

Paul
I already posted some! But, I will do a full photo shoot soon

Feel free to hit me up!

Ralph
602-421-2202
Old 11-22-2002, 02:11 PM

I just got back from the dealer. They had it all day. As it turns out the rattle is NOT fromn the dash. It is coming from the cowling area between the hood and the wiper blades. Here is where everybody is stumped!! If you put a shop rag under the hood (centered) between the plastic cowling where the wiper blades are and the hood, the rattles (I get when I go over bumps) stop. So it is narrowed down to that. But from there they don't know. I got it back tonight and they are going to get ahold of somebody in California to see if anybody has had this happen. They don't really know what to do. It doesn't seem like there is anythnig wrong with the cowling or the hood, but if you stuff a rag between the two, it stops. Putting more insulation under the hood insulation already there didn't help. Any ideas?????
Old 11-22-2002, 02:14 PM

Remove the cowling and put some sound detoner in between it and the car...maybe some dynamat or something?
Old 11-22-2002, 02:18 PM

I don't think you can do that, as it is how water drains out....
Old 11-24-2002, 10:35 AM

Hey guys, my rattle goes away with the weight of another person or object in my passenger side front or rear seat. Ive checked the seat bolts and seat belts any ideas ?????
Old 11-25-2002, 09:30 AM

Seat belt buckle?
Old 11-25-2002, 09:59 AM

Did they check to make sure the hood bolts are tight. I had a 98 Blazer that had a rattle like that and I checked everything and it turned out the hood was loose and was causing the rattle. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Rattle in dash is driving me nuts!!!