Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Radar detectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think radar detectors are only illegal in a handful of states such as VA, DC, and a few others. They are illegal if you are driving a CMV anywhere. Though I can tell you that you stand a much much higher chance of getting a ticket if you are stopped and the officer knows you have a radar detector. They know all the tricks of disguising them and read these boards as well
Old 11-24-2002, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Echo, cool thread...thanks for starting it and all the good info. I don't drive my SUV's on the Interstates often, instead relying on a fast (I've heard, heh) touring sedan. What other ECM devices besides CB do you suggest for remaining stealth? Buddies suggest a multi-band scanner including police bands for all states like Unidens to complement a V1 and CB. Your opinion? TIA.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Echo5059
metal22lica,

I am currently living in South Florida, the greater Ft. Lauderdale area. It seems like most of the people in the forum are from the west coast and midwest.

Echo
I am from palmetto which is by the bradenton/sarasota area. its good to see some more people from around here!!
Old 11-25-2002, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by metal22lica
hmm...so no point in getting one? since you were an officer..is it true that they wont pull you over unless you are only going over a certain speed on the highway? like down here the speed limit is 70..and a lot of people say they wont pull you over unless you are going 80 or over.
I've always wondered that too. I've been told ever since I was 16 that if the speed limit is 55 then I can drive 60 and get away with it. So far I've been pretty lucky and not been pulled over for that, the last ticket I got was for driving 82 in a 65, but I got lucky and the Trooper was a cool guy and knocked it back to a 75 in a 65, the fine was still like $100 bucks.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:01 AM
DuB

I don't think they're COMPLETELY useless. Just today I was driving back on the freeway and my V1 helped me twice in about 10 minutes. I was driving about 80 as everyone else does in SoCal, when the V1 started going crazy on the Ka band. It said it was behind me but I didn't see any cops, but I slowed down a little in the pack I was in. Eventually, I saw that it was a cop on a bike inching up on my right. Then as I got closer to home, I was going through a bypass (5N->405N just south of Spectrum in Irvine, Bake Parkway truck bypass to be specific) which I normally go pretty fast on when the radar went crazy again. This time it said in front and also in back, but it was stronger in front. And again, I didn't see him, but I slowed down anyway. Just as I got down to an ok speed, I passed under a bridge, and parked on the other side of it with his rear bumper almost up against the bridge was a CHP sitting between an on-ramp and the freeway. I was glad to have my V1 today
Old 11-25-2002, 02:48 AM

Interesting topic. I have had a radar detector in my vehicle since I first came to Washington in 1997. I discovered that compared to California, the police, and especially the Washington State Patrol seem to be pretty determined(Especially in Kitsap County!). When I was in California, only the city police seemed to have radar guns, while the California Highway Patrol relied on aircraft flying over the highways to radio information on speeding vehicles. Like most people I think, I seldom speed. I have my radar detector for the same reasons that I have my CB and my scanner- to increase my awareness of what 's going on out there. I'll be honest, my previous vehicle (a highly modified 1979 Datsun 210 wagon- a cheaper sleeper) did not draw attention to itself as a speed violator, even though I would routinely drive it on I-580/SR-24/I-680 at speeds in excess of 110+mph (it's amazing what a aftermarket ignition, K&N, and a swap from automatic transmission-top speed 83mph to a five speed-top speed 110+ can do) and never got pulled over for speeding. To this day I have clean driving record. As far as speeding though, I am constantly scanning the road, and the rear view mirror for law enforcement vehicles. So whether or not you have a radar detector, your best defense is still between your ears. By the way I have a whistler 4 band radar/laser(WSP uses it) detector with voice/text alerts. I hate trying to interpret the flashing LED types.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by BT17R
Echo, cool thread...thanks for starting it and all the good info. I don't drive my SUV's on the Interstates often, instead relying on a fast (I've heard, heh) touring sedan. What other ECM devices besides CB do you suggest for remaining stealth? Buddies suggest a multi-band scanner including police bands for all states like Unidens to complement a V1 and CB. Your opinion? TIA.
BT17R,

Scanners can be a good compliment to a CB and radar detector but I have two caveats. First, to my knowledge in a substantial number of states it is illegal to have a police scanner mounted in a civilian vehicle. However, it is usually only a misdemeanor offense. The second caveat is that every jurisdiction has its own radio codes. I worked for two departments that were located in counties adjacent to each other and their radio codes differed considerably. As a result I had to memorize an additional 200 codes when I swithed agencies. This being said, with a scanner, you would have to learn the codes used for traffic enforcement in each jurisdiction.

Echo
Old 11-25-2002, 04:29 AM

Excellent points to be made. I know the feeling of trying to know the 10 codes of different agenices and listening to several different frequencies at once as well as the nice crown vic factory radio. As to the magic number for when you will get stopped, there is none. Rookies seems to like to stop at lower speeds (as well as traffic officers). But then again you may get a ticket for going nine mph. The locals may have complained about speeders or due to the high number of accidents in the area. In turn a "saturation" of the area or selective enforcement is done to slow people down....