Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Put my DP on my Kennesaw Mountain Accessories rear bumper last night!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd appreciate that. Quick question, is the weight from the spare really making a difference since it's already hanging underneath from a bracket attached to the frame rails? Or is it because the weight is pushed farther back on the rails now?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
One more thing, you also need to look into plating your frame from the rear axle and back for reinforcement purposes. With the added weight of a custom rear bumper, plus the weight of a full size spare hanging off it, your frame is going to need some more bracing to handle the extra load.

If you'd like, I'll link a UY thread relating to this very subject.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct. It's the added weight hanging off the rear of the vehicle that can cause an issue. Even if you just add a custom rear bumper without a rear tire carrier, I'd still look into plating the rear of the frame. Don't get me wrong, our frames are strong, but 4Runners also have a lot of rear added weight to begin with that sits a good 3-4ft behind the axle (cargo area, glass, sheet metal, etc).

Add the weight of a custom rear bumper now hanging off the rear end + a full size spare and that's just a lot of extra weight. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing. Just take the right precautions and you'll def enjoy your vehicle much longer.

Oh and here's that thread discussing plating. Bruce is known for his custom bumpers and if he feels frame plating is a must for this type of setup, then I def agree. It's a lenghty thread, but IIRC, pg 5 begins the discussion on plating: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=3670.0
Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by hector200sx
think that hitch would be ok for my 3000lbs boat
I was asking them questions about the receiver hitch ability. This their response

Originally Posted by KenMtnAc
We do not specifically load rate the receiver hitch because the MultiCarrier is for off highway use only but it is effectively cable of the tongue weight and trailer weight that the vehicle is rated for. The MultiCarrier cannot be used in conjunction with an existing recevier hitch.
Also note that the receiver hitch in the bumper does not have safety chain points. I pull upwards of 5,000 lbs with my 4runner.

Last edited by ProGen; 01-07-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:24 AM

Can't you just use the D rings or shackle mounts for the safety chains? The bumper comes standard with either according to Kyle and I elected for the shackle mounts.

Originally Posted by ProGen
I was asking them questions about the receiver hitch ability. This their response

Also note that the receiver hitch in the bumper does not have safety chain points. I pull upwards of 5,000 lbs with my 4runner.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the info and link. Similar to boxing the frames of the old Model A and T it sounds like.

Correct. It's the added weight hanging off the rear of the vehicle that can cause an issue. Even if you just add a custom rear bumper without a rear tire carrier, I'd still look into plating the rear of the frame. Don't get me wrong, our frames are strong, but 4Runners also have a lot of rear added weight to begin with that sits a good 3-4ft behind the axle (cargo area, glass, sheet metal, etc).

Add the weight of a custom rear bumper now hanging off the rear end + a full size spare and that's just a lot of extra weight. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing. Just take the right precautions and you'll def enjoy your vehicle much longer.

Oh and here's that thread discussing plating. Bruce is known for his custom bumpers and if he feels frame plating is a must for this type of setup, then I def agree. It's a lenghty thread, but IIRC, pg 5 begins the discussion on plating: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=3670.0
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

No problem.

If you do research on frame plating now, it will make your decision to frame plate or not much easier before the bumper arrives. And don't worry, I'm not going to bash you later on down the road if you decide against plating...I just wanted to put the bug in your ear so you'd be aware of it.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Also note that the receiver hitch in the bumper does not have safety chain points.
Those can always be added. If not by KMA, then by someone else for sure.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 AM

Those can always be added. If not by KMA, then by someone else for sure.
They can be added, but the bumper is still not truely rated to handle the load of a trailer. From what people are saying about needing to brace the frame to handle a tire carrier, I would really wonder about it's trailer capability since my '99 factory reciever hitch is rated for a 500lb tongue load and 5,000lb trailer capacity (with trailer brakes) where they stated the bumper would only handle a 3,000lb trailer. From my conversations with Kyle, I gather he doesn't seem to know much about towing applications and hitch ratings. If anyone wants to pull a trailer, stick with a full reciever hich that follows along the underside of the frame.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 AM

Tis greatly appreciated.

No problem.

If you do research on frame plating now, it will make your decision to frame plate or not much easier before the bumper arrives. And don't worry, I'm not going to bash you later on down the road if you decide against plating...I just wanted to put the bug in your ear so you'd be aware of it.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 PM

Honestly, I don't think the problems with torsion and bumper making contact has anything thing to do with the added weight. The 3rd gen 4runner has full Class 3 hitch capacity, so the class 3 receiver hitch can hold a 500lb tongue load. I was wondering, are owners having problems with the bumper making contact or weight problems because the bumper doesn't flex with the body like the stock bumper will, or if it is truly because of the added weight? Or is is possibly how the aftermarket bumpers like this are attached? Does the bumper, spare tire, and any other gear on it actually exceed 500lbs?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:13 AM

Spoke with Kyle a little bit ago and we've changed the hitch location from underneath to the flush mount option. I didn't know that was available but I'm very happy about that.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

The 3rd gen 4runner has full Class 3 hitch capacity, so the class 3 receiver hitch can hold a 500lb tongue load. I was wondering, are owners having problems with the bumper making contact or weight problems because the bumper doesn't flex with the body like the stock bumper will, or if it is truly because of the added weight? Or is is possibly how the aftermarket bumpers like this are attached? Does the bumper, spare tire, and any other gear on it actually exceed 500lbs?
I doubt the weight of the new custom bumper + spare tire + all the extras exceeds 500lbs (More like 200-300lbs IMO). I believe it's just the newly added weight that will permanently sit atop the rear end of vehicle, instead of occasionally behind it...like towing a trailer.

But then again, I have no real personal experience with this, so I could be completely wrong. I'm just going by what I've researched online. Bruce on UY, Steve at Sonoran Steel and Jed at Amorology are 3 guys that first to come to mind, that have and still do build custom bumpers. They would be the ideal people to ask about this.

Originally Posted by terminator
Spoke with Kyle a little bit ago and we've changed the hitch location from underneath to the flush mount option. I didn't know that was available but I'm very happy about that.
Nice
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM

He has listed as weight for the bumper at 115# and then for the tire carrier 35# for a total of $150. Not quite 200+ so we'll see how it goes. Looks like it'd be heavier than that.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Subscribed! Cant wait to hear how it fits up. I was quoted around 2 grand to build a custom rear bumper locally with spare and jerry can mount. Hope it goes well! If so I'll be getting in line for one. All I plan to tow is a motorcycle trailer.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 AM

A note to anyone looking to use this bumper for pulling a trailer. Since it is not highway rated, if you have any problems with the trailer that causes any damage or accident, your insurance more then likely will not cover it as they will consider it your fault. Also, some states have regulations regarding towing trailers. If you are pulled over, you could get a ticket for not having a properly rated hitch and safety equipment. this varies from state to state though.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by terminator
He has listed as weight for the bumper at 115# and then for the tire carrier 35# for a total of $150. Not quite 200+ so we'll see how it goes. Looks like it'd be heavier than that.
Don't forget to add in the weight of an aired up 32" - 35" size tire, a hi-lift jack and jerry cans completely filled. That will increase the overall weight.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:40 AM

Does anyone know if this bumper simply uses the stock bumper mounts, or does it use the receiver hitch mounts or something to give more support for the weight?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 PM

With proper bracing added and plating the rear frame I have no worries regarding the hitch strength.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:04 PM

Well I'm going on 6 weeks with an original ship date of 4-5 weeks max with no pics and no progress. I have many emails from Kyle about the progress, even one stating that he had several rush orders for Iraq to push in front of mine which was the reason for the delay. Now instead of getting my bumper with 2 weeks of the original delivery date I've been told there are 5 more in front of me. I'm hot and have filed a claim with Paypal about this jerk off. I have to say he sells a great game but when you pay up it seems like the time frames no longer matter. Stay away from this dude, that's my opinion.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Man that sucks bro. Unfortunately, I know exactly what you're going thru.

Quick Reply: Put my DP on my Kennesaw Mountain Accessories rear bumper last night!