Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Problems starting to surface?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were you, I would let the set up run smoothly for AT LEAST a month or so before I started making any more changes to it. Otherwise if something goes wrong, then you've got more things to look and try to figure out what it is you need to debug
Old 08-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

I think you're right. I say that because "IT'S" happening again.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

I followed some of Gadgets ideas he had of what it may be that is causing my issues. I pulled down the dash yesterday and cut all the connection and soldiered them all. I cut out the butt connectors first. While I had most of my dash down, I wrapped the FTC in that flexible packing foam and stuck it right in front of the shifter by the brains for the air bags. I'm just hoping that it won't pull a wire or something and make one go off. I secured it in only at 2 points. I cut a small piece of aluminum and bolted it into the two holes that are right behind the dash and then mounted it to that plate.
I took it out last night to see how it ran. Alot better. So far.
I raced a 4 cyl Taco with a cold air intake and a catback and beat him, but not by as much as I thought I would. Seems to have A LOT quicker pickup if I gas it then let up and gas it and repeat the process.
O well, just wanted to confirm that I am making an attempt to solve this issue. I wanna do the ISR and deckplate mod though. I am bored this weekend. Nothing planned and I'm just sitting here looking at stuff to buy with no money
Old 08-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

I"m telling you man .. go to your nearest spot bike shop and pick up a little sport bike .. thats all the speed you'll ever need ..... F--k trd s/c ... turn it into a rock crawler
Old 08-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
I"m telling you man .. go to your nearest spot bike shop and pick up a little sport bike .. thats all the speed you'll ever need ..... F--k trd s/c ... turn it into a rock crawler
Hopefully I solved the problems. If I did, I'm gonna keep the set-up and leave the rest alone. I'll just do the ISR and deckplate mods. That will be all for the power upgrades.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Jack my own thread

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/sound-insulation-11179/
Old 09-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

It'sssss back. That damn stumbling problem is back. I had soldiered the connections for the FTC (and hid it under the middle console in front on the shifters) and it was better for a few days. Seems as if I can only get 2-4 days of it not stumbling after each time I disconnect the battery for awhile.
More hunting this weekend. I guess I am gonna have to pull the S/C and check the plugs.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

I keep telling ya, and you don't listen

Old 09-01-2004, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

This probably isn't the problem but I'll through it out there anyways since it deals with an SC.

A buddy of mine had a 95 Lightning with a Powerdyne SC on it (if I remember correctly). Anyways, he was having some stumbling issues under WOT once he got to the higher rpms. No one could figure out what the problem was until he took it to a guy that was very knowledgeable with SCs. Anyways the problem ended up being with the gap on the spark plugs. The gap was too big and causing the spark to blow out. That's what I was told anyways.

When you check the plugs make sure you look at the gap too. You never know, it could be something that minor. It took my friend about 6 months before he figured his out.

I just want to see what the problem is.

Good Luck

:bounce2:
Old 09-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
I keep telling ya, and you don't listen

I guess you want me to go away and that is just a nice way of saying it
Bikes+me+super fast speeds can = some bad times
Old 09-02-2004, 03:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
This probably isn't the problem but I'll through it out there anyways since it deals with an SC.

When you check the plugs make sure you look at the gap too. You never know, it could be something that minor. It took my friend about 6 months before he figured his out.

:bounce2:
Gadget said the same. He thought maybe it was the connections for the FTC, but I fixed those. His second idea is the plugs. I will def. have to check them out.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:14 AM

misfire with FTC1-E

4-RUNNIN' FREAK,

did you ever fix your problem? i ordered an FTC1E from urd recently to replace my safc. immediately after the install my truck began to misfire at idle and while driving. i double and triple checked all the wiring and still couldn't get the ftc to work without misfires. checked my plugs for proper gap and the wires too. Gadget finally had me troubleshoot by first installing just the power, ground, maf, IGF, and 02 wires...leaving the cam and crankshaft wires disconnected from the ftc. the truck ran fine. i then installed the crank wire only (cam wires still disconnected from the ftc)...and the truck ran fine again...but with the cam wire connected...the truck immediately began to misfire at multiple cylinders. i am sending back the ftc to Mark at split second for testing...and possibly replacement.

if it isn't the ftc...don't really know where else to check.

Last edited by mikes97; 01-23-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:42 PM

misfire solved

Just an update to anyone who may still be reading this post. The misfire was caused by a bad output cam signal from the FTC.

When the FTC was sent back, Split Second didn't detect anything that would cause my misfire. I eventually drove the truck to Spit Sec for futher testing and they eventually found the problem. Apparently the bad cam signal only showed when the FTC was under load (installed). I was told by split sec that new units will be tested under load conditions to prevent problems like this.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mikes97
4-RUNNIN' FREAK,

did you ever fix your problem? i ordered an FTC1E from urd recently to replace my safc. immediately after the install my truck began to misfire at idle and while driving. i double and triple checked all the wiring and still couldn't get the ftc to work without misfires. checked my plugs for proper gap and the wires too. Gadget finally had me troubleshoot by first installing just the power, ground, maf, IGF, and 02 wires...leaving the cam and crankshaft wires disconnected from the ftc. the truck ran fine. i then installed the crank wire only (cam wires still disconnected from the ftc)...and the truck ran fine again...but with the cam wire connected...the truck immediately began to misfire at multiple cylinders. i am sending back the ftc to Mark at split second for testing...and possibly replacement.

if it isn't the ftc...don't really know where else to check.
Digging up the past.
If you still visit the boards and just lurk, the problem seemed to fix itself. It may have something to do with the cold weather and oxygenated gas too. I don't really know. Plus (I didn't read if I posted this) I went to see Gadget and he tweaked the FTC. It can still use improvement, but I don't want to go buy a laptop just yet.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
. I had soldiered the connections for the FTC (and hid it under the middle console in front on the shifters)

Finally took some pics, but you can barely see.

The FTC is under here. I know it's a lil dirty, but it's winter and been cold recently.

And this is it wrapped in foam and duct tape.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-12-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:50 PM
DMG

Originally Posted by midiwall
You want it because you paid for it when you paid for the truck.
Seriously though... It IS yours, and they won't get any value from having it. It's not like it can be rebuilt or has any scrap value.
When something is covered under warranty the dealer keeps the part to turn into the manufacturer. If you insist on keeping it your truck will not get fixed

Edit-- I am late on this and you are lucky they warrantied the cat after your mods killed it.

Last edited by DMG; 03-13-2005 at 10:23 AM.