Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

POOOOR Baby!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POOOOR Baby!!

Thats right... I did it... I was out with three of my buddies on an innocent outing off road. To make a long story short... I think i will win the best stuck competition. I'm uploading pics tonight, but might not be able to see them til later. We found a guy with a HUGE Bronco but he couldn't pull me out. So we had to call a tow truck. He said he had been doing this for 16 years and he had yet to see one this bad. The truck was at an angle so the drivers side is a little worse, but thats fine with me because that means the air box is out of the water. I killed it immedately so hopefully I didn't get any water in the engine. Well, i'm off to get waisted... not only did i screw up my truck tonight... its my gf's b.day... so I'll catch up later. Goodnight... just wanted to get this off my chest. I don't think it has quite hit me yet... Later guys! Pics tomorrow
Old 04-19-2003, 08:28 PM

Can't wait to see the pictures!!!

Noel
Old 04-19-2003, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

brutal man!!..sorry to hear it. i can relate though. one time, i had my runner stuck so bad, i had to leave it over night and await a tow truck guy to come save me. luckily for me, he did the job. in retrospect..i wish i had brought my camera that day to get some pics.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:11 PM

i cant wait for the pics either!, hey how much did the tow truck charge you?, just wondering.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:33 AM
Contributing Member

Some pics are up at the bottom of the site (on my sig...) he charged me $150. More in the morning... i'm ready for bed
Old 04-20-2003, 03:06 AM
Contributing Member

Man! Thats deep! I hope you learned a valuable lesson! Get a snorkel and a winch!
Old 04-20-2003, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

How does your interior smell after that?
Old 04-20-2003, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Oh man...sorry to hear that! Looks like quite a mess. I'm interested to hear your damage report...
Old 04-20-2003, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

that looks pretty brutal man. atleast you have your rig out though. hopefully the damage report wont be too bad. good luck
Old 04-20-2003, 07:33 AM

oh mann i just took a look at your pictures, hope you gave your rig a GOOD bath after that mess!
Old 04-20-2003, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, so heres the deal... they would only take cash and I had no way of getting to an atm, so they kept the car (the windows are perminantly open... the rear window decided to roll down on its own on the way home thats no good. The interior smells like somebody's a$$. I miss placed my key about two months ago, having to leave the sun roof open. I wake up the next morning to find it pouring... and that smell was just getting out of it. I can't even imagine what this is gonna be like. Hopefully the engine is ok. I killed it immediately when we fell into the hole, and luckily the right side was the hi side. A few buddies of mine are gonne gut her and drain EVERYTHING and go from there. I had just gotten the coolent flushed too dammit... The water was about seat high on the drivers side, so hopefully most of the electronics are ok. Don't know if my sub is gonna make it or not. at first it was ok, but then it moved a little and I didn't check it when we got it on the truck. I'll get a full dammage report monday when I get the truck back as I'm sure the place is closed today. Oh yeah, and here is the story on how it happened. I knew there were some deep holes around there, but one of them isn't so deep. We were on our way out, and I thought that was the hole that I came through on the way in, so I thought it was no big deal... noooooope... not so. I head right in at 10-15mph and boom... car stopps moving with water about two inches away from the window sill. My immedate reaction was to kill the engine (luckily). and then I could hear the water trickeling in... and thats when I knew this was going to be a not so good day. There were some guys shooting skeet not too far from where we were so we started to head their way. As we were walking away... the horn started honking and wouldn't stop.... thats when I took off and told myself that this DEFINATELY would not be a good day. they couldn't get it out... then we found the guys in the HUGE Bronco and they couldn't get it out, so the tow truck finally came with a winch (that was on my list of things to get (#2 right behind an arb/tjm/badlands) and yeah, about the snorkel... I have wanted one but have yet to find one for a 3rd. gen. Well, we are off to the park to have a picknick. I'll let you guys know how the "rebuilding" goes... and i'll be sure to take lots of pictures. I hope everyone has an excellent easter!! and chug one for me (might have to wait til tomorrow, but either way chug one for me)
Old 04-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Austin, I am glad you are OK, and I'm sure the rig will be too very soon.

This is gonna piss off the "locker guy's first before ARB/winch combo", but in this scenario, a locker would have done you didly squat.
This is my main reason for going with a winch first, locker 2nd.
It all depends on the situation and what you get yourself into.

With a winch on hand you could have hooked upto that Bronco if he was anchored, or even to a tree, and probably could have had a good chance of getting out of there.

Was there anything nearby that you could have hooked up to if you had a winch on hand?

Also this is a situtation where a hydraulic winch would not work, as the engine has to be running.
IMO, hydraulic winches are not worth buying.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:23 AM
CTB

Damn Austin, that's crazy!

Where were you? I remember Savannah pretty well, but since the pictures are in the dark, I had no idea where you might have been. Most of the wheeling I ever did was in Richmond Hill (where I lived), and occasionally on Ft. Stewart.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Ctb, we were over by the race track in SC right across the bridge. I had only been there once before so I didn't really know what to avoid and what not to. It was dumb... lesson learned (stay away from water period ) I really want a winch, and agree with Cory on the winch over locker. You can always get out with a winch. Yeah you might have to use it a little more with an open diff, but you will always get home and if you are in water, you interior will suffer less (three hours or so for mine) She hopefully will be up and running soon. I hate having to rely on others for rides to class etc. oh well... i'll chuck this one up to experience and now I will get to learn more about the mechanics of my truck (I have yet to truely dive into it yet. I'm actually sort of excited to work on my truck. I have been kind of hesitant b/c I was always scared I'd mess it up, but now I have nothing to loose.