Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Po-Po ruined our fun

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Funny how these threads go. BigBadBlue posts a message saying some guys from a club he's in did the same thing and got in essentially the same trouble. Folks on this board lined up behind him on his right to wheel in places like this and to flame folks that thought otherwise.

This time, it's reversed, nailing you for it.

People are funny to watch, aren't they?
foxtrapper: I see you've only been a member here for a couple of months. One of the things you'll soon come to notice is that it's a pretty laid back kinda place IE: non-inflammatory. It's trolling comments like yours that turn good boards into wastes of bandwidth. If I'm out of line with that comment, a mod is sure to tell me. Please post a link to the thread, because I really don't see the hypocrasy you're refering to. Otherwise, let's all try to get along. I'm thinking the reaction to kford's post is mostly about the 'pig' thing. At least on MY part it is. And if you find THIS post inflammatory, my apologies. It's only my effort to keep things cool here, as I find this place one of the most amiable on the net. I'm pretty sure they like to heat things up over on pirate, which is one reason I stay away from there, my being pretty much a newbie and all

Last edited by Blair; 03-19-2004 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:04 AM
lee
Contributing Member

wow, chill out guys, the point is he really didnt know.

'ignorance is no excuse'? he had seen people back there before and had gone himself several times. i doubt he was being purposefully unneccessarily destructive or littering or disrespecting the land there in the least. he was just trying to wheel like the rest of you.

up here in MA we have NO off roading choices really -- im having a seriously tough time trying to find somewhere to just do some light stuff for fun. i went up to NH and drove on a little mud trail behind a friends house once. im quite positive that was public land and not meant for me to drive on, but there were embedded tire marks and obvious signs (garbage cans along the route) that people have been doing it for a LONG time.

calm down, hes no crook.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
wow, chill out guys, the point is he really didnt know...calm down, hes no crook.
You're missing it too. To me and you and everyone else on this board, we know he didnt do anything wrong.

but think about the public eye think about how they would react to seeing some tresspassers tearing up city property with thier 4x4...
Old 03-19-2004, 06:30 AM
lee
Contributing Member

well i dont think the reporters were exactly hounding him.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny how these threads go. BigBadBlue posts a message saying some guys from a club he's in did the same thing and got in essentially the same trouble. Folks on this board lined up behind him on his right to wheel in places like this and to flame folks that thought otherwise.

It seems like a few of us have been pretty consistant.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/secret-mud-hole-san-jose-ca-20952/
Old 03-19-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lee,

well i dont think the reporters were exactly hounding him.
You're missing the point. What difference does it make if a reporter was there or not? You got two cops who supposedly "didn't care" and were much cooler aobut it than we are. However, you don't know who they tell. Quite possibly in their daily conversations, they talked about "these idiot off-roaders" to some other people. Maybe some of those people are wacko environmentalists who have the ears of the mayor or the local city council.

Far fetched? No, its entirely possible.

Though MA is not the meccha of off-roading, it is quite possible that the scenario above is part of the reason why you can't take your 4runner off-roading in many places. It takes one "i don't give a crap about signs" idiot to screw it up for everyone.

Bob
Old 03-19-2004, 08:51 AM
lee
Contributing Member

bob,

you guys are entirely right about irresponsible off roading.. but i just think its incorrect to take out your frustrations on kford.

i hav ethe utmost respect for the environment and for the sport of offroading and all, but i really believe that precedent can sometimes equal law. if he saw people there in the past and has gone there himself, i dont think its such a huge problem that he believed it was legal.

its unfortunate that it isnt.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:52 AM
lee
Contributing Member

also, i just read that yellowstone thing.. wow those guys are total idiots. they are the ones deserving this flamefest.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think of it more as peer pressure and it worked in the thread I linked on the previous page. BigKahuna has seen the error in his ways and has since gone on at least 2 yotatech runs to hollister. Hopefully he'll come along on some more runs with my club too (we need more toyotas ).

So to Kford, I suggest joining a club that practices responsible off roading and know the legal places. I also encourage him to post up some pics of these runs, we all like to see a dirty truck.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
lee,

i'm not taking any frustrations out on kford or you. i'm not frustrated. i'm not! i'm not! i'm not!

dude, he asked for our opinions if anyone had similar experiences and he got it. so did you, for that matter. anyways, if anything is to be learned from this thread is that we are a small, small SMALL percentage of total drivers. you know how they say that 2 or 3% of people who own SUVs actually take them off-road? well in reality, its probably much, much smaller than that.

the sierra club-types only want nature and the backroads for themselves. to their credit, they are helluva lot better mobilized, politically connected, and well-funded on a national basis than any off-road club will ever be. thus, if one of those folks ever hear or see stuff like this going on in their backyards, they'll mention it to their local chapter and push some changes so that this and other areas will not be accessible by vehicle but only by the self-serving feet that they walk on.

anyways, sorry for the mini-lecture but we're one small family with decreasing access to off-road areas.

bob
Old 03-19-2004, 10:01 AM
lee
Contributing Member

fair enough. thanks for the info guys, never knew it was such a big problem.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live at the end of a long driveway, as in a half mile, that is just to my house. It is signed with private property signs every 25 or so yards on each of however many power poles. There is a single fire number at the end. At least once a week in the summer, there are lost fools driving down the road, turning around carelessly and trashing our private and appropriately signed driveway. It is annoying and avoidable.

If it was private property, you were in the wrong and should be prosecuted, period.

If you did not know, you should have found out, period.

I forget the author, but the phrase is a global village. We are all completely and utterly connected. You head somewhere you do not belong, get busted, and locals see. Another dude poops by a tree in Colorado and does not take it out of the park. Then here I sit in Wisconsin without any places to wheel because people were lazy and foolish.

Scott is one of the friendliest folks I have had the pleasure of meeting, I hope that this incident educates you and the next time you two find a better place to hang out.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:35 PM

lol i've done the same around my neighborhood and i guess someone reported it cuz there's concret barrier block in front of it....it was fun tho
Old 03-20-2004, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Old 03-20-2004, 01:14 PM

wow you guys are right. I guess I'll just lower my truck and put rims on it and drive really fast like 2fast2furious and endanger your lives, since off roading is such a bad thing.

OVER THREE YEARS and at least 20 trucks have been back to this place. Half of the trails are owned my a farmer, I found out, and my friend with a Rubicon got consent by him to wheel there as long as we dont' go "too crazy" I just found out. The pi-err, officer, was in err. There was only a small portion of the land that we crossed to get to the farmland. We didn't tear any land up, endanger any species, hurt anyone, or affect the off road community or the natural landscape of the farm land in any way. Afterwards, we even cleaned our damn wash bay out at the car wash. Get off my back, or as a black girl said to me the other day, "get on my level." whatever that means.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:53 PM

Good ol Fox I knew my name would be brought into this one way or another. I stayed out of this even after wanting to stick up for him and even after wanting to flame him for calling a Law Enforcement Officer a "pig" but I didnt. I just keep quietly reading and staying out. Stop with the pig comments please, its no different than myself calling your mother a b*tch. You said the county bought the land to allow development but that funding fell short. How did you know that? Then you said that the Police informed you of the cities ownership. From what I read it sounded as if you knew the county owned the land and it was clear at that point due to lack of buyers for spaces. True? If so then you knew you were trespassing IMO. In my case there were no signs just locals saying it was their land so I went to the Land Management Dept. and got word that I was trespassing. It sucks bigtime not being allowed to wheel there but its the way it is. Blue
Old 03-20-2004, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
Not sure who is singing two different tunes, but...

I don't care who it is, I blast everyone who trespasses and destroys property not designated specifically for off-road use. It gives all of us a black eye with bad publicity. If you have permission, that's another matter, but you should still "tread lightly". Frankly, threads like this, detailing these types of events are best kept to oneself and not posted. The result will ALWAYS be the same. Short sighted folks who don't get it (or don't care to get it) will always be blasted by those of us that do.

FWIW, I don't recall the BBB thread, but I doubt BBB would be deflamatory to police. If it's his thread, its probably closed anyway.
HaHa I swear there all closed! Oh well life goes on & I create MORE.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:28 PM

Fox, you pegged 'em...

BBB, tho' helpful as he may be, can't stand success, has to push the envelope, give other OFFRdr's a bad jag, try to over-rationalize his forays, and play the poor victim.

Hey, BBB, how'd that co-worker date go? I hope, for her, that she pegged you as a co-dependent matyr whose lookin' for their mother in a partner!

An' I was just starting to like u, before I read this thread.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by WANGcHungTaco
BBB, tho' helpful as he may be, can't stand success, has to push the envelope, give other OFFRdr's a bad jag, try to over-rationalize his forays, and play the poor victim.

Hey, BBB, how'd that co-worker date go? I hope, for her, that she pegged you as a co-dependent matyr whose lookin' for their mother in a partner!

An' I was just starting to like u, before I read this thread.
WangchungmingpingdongTacoWagon I would hope you might cancel your ISP service and save that money to get spelling lessons or a simple copy of Hooked On Phonics. But thats just me. I haven't fealt the urge to drop to your level and like you just yet. Your not very much fun to pick on. You cry to much for my liking. Glad I hurt your feelings enough to get a rise out of you in this thread though. Thanks you made my evening. BLUE
Old 03-20-2004, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WangchungTACO and BBB - you are getting pretty damn close to a time-out. Let's leave the name calling and personal attacks for the playground, ladies. Why don't you flame each other via PM and spare us the agony.

Quick Reply: Po-Po ruined our fun