Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

panhard rod question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
panhard rod question

I did a search and am a bit confused. I recently added the OME coils to my truck and it now sits about 1.5 inches higher than the front. My panhard rod is now at an angle. Should it be level? What will it harm if it is not? Truck seems to drive with no pull. If I need it, where can I get one? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it supposed to be level, but most dont bother with it.

bump for steve, he'll tell you the pros and cons of dropping it back to level.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A perfect panhard will be flat.

I did not run a drop when I had Downey coils alone, now I have a 3" drop with coils and spacers. The truck felt about the same with either set-up as far as on road.

There was some discussion about decreasing gas tank humping by the driveshaft when people ran a drop without the spacers, but I never had that problem.

If you are having no issues now, then I don't think it is something worth messing with.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll be fine. The only reason to lower the panhard is if you are hitting your gas tank at full articulation. Usually that only happens when you have much longer than stock shocks, since they are the travel limiters.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:34 AM

Is the panhard bar not there to stop lateral movement of the rear diff? If its not level wont the swingarm bushings wear prematurely because when the suspension moves up and down the unlevel bar will pull the suspension from side to side. Causing premature wear. Correct me if im wrong. I dont own a 4 runner but i know thats why the bar is level and why its there.
Just throwing it out there for some feedback.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:17 AM
CTB

Originally posted by zedex
Is the panhard bar not there to stop lateral movement of the rear diff?
The purpose of the panhard bar is to center the rear axle from left to right. One end is connected to the rear axle, and the other end is connected to the frame.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It centers the axle left to right as the other links center it front to back.

I have had no ill-effects with over 35k miles with different rear lift and rod modifications. The bushings are rubber and I doubt very much that several degrees of misalignment would cause any serious effects.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by CTB
The purpose of the panhard bar is to center the rear axle from left to right. One end is connected to the rear axle, and the other end is connected to the frame.
I was out changing my oil when I noticed that the right rear tire stuck out farther than the left. I measured them and the right sticks out 0.5 inches farther than the left. Is this the result of the panhard rod not being straight? And would putting on a drop bracket fix this? Or should I not be concerned? Thanks again for all comments.

P.S. I now have Amsoil in all but transmission.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:11 PM
CTB

Ya, that's what that is from. When you lifted your rig with the new coils, the end of the panhard bar which is connected to the frame was lifted up, thereby essentially "pulling" your rear axle toward the passenger side...but only very slightly. I would not worry about a drop bracket with the lift you have. I have the same coils, and haven't had any problems in 3 years. Only if you started to go high would I worry about a drop bracket.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:16 PM

Yes Paul. Thats why the panhard is supposed to be level.. Dropping it would fix that . If you were to keep lifting the back end with the tires on the ground you would notice the wheels coming further and further out to one side.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:20 PM

Im curious.. You guys that have lifted your 4runners and left the panhard as is.. You dont notice your vehicle driving any different? Since the rear wheels will be off to one side as compared to the front until your suspension compresses?
Old 04-13-2003, 01:30 PM
CTB

No, I have not noticed any drivability problems or tire-wear issues since I have had my new coils.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:08 PM

Ok.. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:24 PM

well it keeps your rear axle centered as well as from moving back and forth.

i can't imagine it would be good to have your rear axle shifted off to one side.

whats the problem with putting on a drop bracket?
Old 04-13-2003, 05:12 PM

Good question Rowan. I myself wouldnt want my rear wheels off to one side. Apparently it doesnt bother people. But the biggest problem is that the panhard should be dead level when the vehicle is at rest. That way when the suspension compresses or extends there is minimal left /right axle movement. BUT.. When you lift your vehicle lets say 2 inches. The axle will no longer be dead center because it is basically pivoting off the panhard bar. And the panhard is no longer at optimal angle. So... Lets say you driving down a bumpy road or highway. When the suspension compresses the diff will arc on a path to dead center. But, when the suspension rebounds the diff will arc even further off center than it already is. Instead of 1/2 inch off center it will be 1 inch off center. Myself.. I couldnt live with that.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rowan
well it keeps your rear axle centered as well as from moving back and forth.

i can't imagine it would be good to have your rear axle shifted off to one side.

whats the problem with putting on a drop bracket?
It also can't be too good for your springs seats to be off set as well. Do you guys realize that without the drop the springs are tweeked a bit to the side.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

This is an excerpt from one of my previous posts:

I'm guessing the panhard is about 3ft long? 1.5 inches lift (from stock) will move your axle to the right about 0.03 inches and the panhard will be at an angle of 2.3 deg. A 3inch lift will move the axle over 0.125" to the right and the angle will be 4.8 deg. (when on flat ground)

You really only need a drop bracket for off roading-- when the suspension is articulating. This keeps the driveshaft and the joints happy. Like Corey said [in the original thread], the axle only moved over 0.5" when the truck was on the lift. In day to day driving you will never see anything close to that.
Note my assumption: the panhard is actually level at stock height from the factory (not sagging).

A half inch off? What is your reference point? If it's the body, I bet the assembly tolerances from the factory are close to that. Our trucks are mass produce afterall.

Yes, the springs are tweaked without a panhard drop (0.125in at rest), but it's a spring, it's designed to flex. They are in a perpetual state of tweakiness (is that a word?), that's their function.

The above calculations are simple geometry. Think of it this way, take a yard stick and butt it up against a wall, making sure the stick is perpendicular to the wall. Now pivot the stick 1.5 inches. How far away from the wall did the stick move? That is how far the axle will move.

Steve
Old 04-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like quite a bit to me. Call me crazy but I fixed mine.

Old 04-13-2003, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Yup, for yours I would agree that it's necessary since your driveshaft was hitting when you were off roading. But for a 1.5 inch lift over stock, I don't think it's neccessary. That's why downey doesn't include a drop bracket for the 1.5 inch coils, it only comes with the 3inch lift.

The lift height Vs lateral movement is not linear, so as you lift the truck, the axle moves laterally much more.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:38 PM
Banned

how much can I expect to pay for a drop bracket, who makes them, and is it a do-it-yourself type job?

Quick Reply: panhard rod question