Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OME kit issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 09:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
OME kit issues

Hey ive been searching around and I have found a couple similar things but nothing quite right.
Anyone here have problems with an OME kit? I have bought a "full package" from rocky road outfitters, and I have only the rears done so far...
I got the standard medium duty setup. I think dakars, no aal, nitrochargers, 881 front springs. It comes with trim packer if you want plus a 1" diff drop kit.
First off, I didnt like how much the factory torque spec was squishing the new poly bushings on the front pin, so i stopped around 60ftlbs.

Second, i was shocked to discover the kit had no u bolts. All the other MY ranges get em, and my leaf pack looks wayy taller. I wound up finding some used ones from the local toyota dealer that worked.

Third, my e brake cable is way too tight. I am hoping this is a jobber cable issue and ive ordered a toyota one, but with the lift the cable pulled enough the wheels wont turn. And its maxed out on adjustment.

Fourth the e brake cable also rubs on the top of the spring pack pretty badly. I tried bending the brackets up to get it a bit higher but it made the tightness wayyy worse. I will fab up some bracket extensions and maybe try to extend the bell crank arms as well.

Fifth, driving around afterwards, my first brake push feels awful! pedal sinks way too far. I suspect the RBPV is out of spec because the back end is so much higher (old leafs were very sagged). Looking online there is a bracket you can make to bump this up. Should I do 2"?

What a bucketload of problems! especially for ordering a kit! im considering suggesting to rro that they include a couple brackets to make ppls lives easier and maybe a note about the u bolts. But i wont if i just happen to be unlucky and nobody else has these problems...
Im also curious: do people here find the 1" diff drop mandatory? My old 96 didnt have a drop and it seemed ok on 881s... I think I blew 1 CV but the boot just tore.
Am also curious: what are people using as bumpstops??? Dont want to buy from dealer...
Pics of one of the issues:
OME kit issues-b5mwmugh.jpg
OME kit issues-877me5hh.jpg
OME kit issues-04xdgdih.jpg

Before and after:
OME kit issues-9xm5dz8h.jpg
OME kit issues-uynhizuh.jpg
Old 11-24-2021, 07:26 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
That's a tall stack! This guy upgraded to stock-ish HD leaf springs, like me, and had a similar brake cable issue though not as extreme as yours. His solution might give you some ideas though. I'm no help on the other issues...
Old 11-24-2021, 11:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
hmmm thanks for the link. Yes similar to what Ive been finding. I think i have to
1) raise the center pivot up a half inch or more: i think I could just use a stack of washers and a longer bolt, probably not quite as long as this guy:

2) extend the bell crank arms... I think 4 crawler makes a nice bent piece that will work with the single pivot point: https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale...xt_HowTo.shtml
3) Get the longer (hopefully) cable from toyota.

For the proportioning valve I think I just need to drill 4 holes in some bar stock to lift the pivot arm up a couple inches... see below:

BUT i still need to track down some effin bump stops and figure out if I need to drop front diff. Any leads on bump stops for me? What height should they even be? same as stock?
And im still annoyed because I have to buy all these extra fiddly bits and a bunch of new fasteners and you have no idea how hard it is to find metric in this town and i f***in hate it when theres mixed imperial and metric bolts on a vehicle so i refuse to do it.