95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OK... it's not the starter contacts

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 89_4runner
Hi Roger,
Any idea roughly how much current the solenoid needs? My KC light relay is actually a Bosch 30A that hopefully will do the trick. I can go home and hook up the multimeter again and test, but I would appreciate your input.

Mine seems to pull about 20 amps.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sequoia'd
I'm looking at adding a relay myself. Just need to go over the method to make sure I get it right.
Did you install the relay? Any more starting problems?

I've been dragging my feet on the relay. Have the connectors and wiring, but waiting for the truck to not start again. So far so good. Maybe replacing the connector on the small wire running from the battery to the fuse box was the trick. Seems way too simple.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
89_4Runner,

Sorry for not getting back with the board... was waiting to see if it really was solved!

About 3 weeks ago around 9:00pm I got to thinking so I jumped up went into the garage and found an extra Hella wiring kit. Relay was 30amp and the harness was perfect so I got the wire cutters and under the truck I went. Made connectors for all splices, soldered, shrinked tubed all new connections and mounted the relay on passenger side, high and in the corner near the firewall. It has started perfectly ever since!!! Started even sounds like it's getting a full shot of voltage now. Do it... I believe it's fixed!!!

Many thanks for all who contributed to solving my problem. It's an easy fix once you get tired of a starter that won't start!! Now I need to solve the speedo noise in cold weather. Probably the cable.

Thanks again!!
Old 12-18-2004, 07:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
It's been several months now... Has started everytime without exception. IT'S FIXED!!! ANybody still having these symptoms needs to install a relay on the starter circuit. Thanks again to all who helped!
Old 12-21-2004, 11:08 AM

FYI, I'm still dragging my feet on adding the starter relay, but haven't had any problems for 2 months. Maybe my fiddling with the wire between the battery and fuse box helped? I'm still waiting for it to act up again...
Old 10-28-2005, 11:03 AM

1990 3.0 4x4 4runner. Been having problems with starter for a while... Turn key, just a click. Intermittent, but getting to be annoying.

Pretty much same problems and actions taken as Sequoia'd...

got a toyota rebuilt starter, put it on... same problem. Check the contacts, seemed fine but I changed them anyway everyone says that works... no go.

Going to add a starter relay as discussed above. Searched but couldn't figure out a few things....

Had a question regarding relay and picture 4Crawler drew.. You show a fuse from the 12V post to the hot side of the relay. What size fuse and why?
I got a radio shack 30A relay for 5 bucks...any concerns or should I wait for the HotShot from painless wiring to be ordered?
Last one, where did you install the relay at? I'm thinking easy would be to find an open space on the engine side of the wheel well... any thoughts?

Thanks all!
Old 10-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jreynold
Going to add a starter relay as discussed above. Searched but couldn't figure out a few things....

Had a question regarding relay and picture 4Crawler drew.. You show a fuse from the 12V post to the hot side of the relay. What size fuse and why?
Big enough to not blow when the solenoid is on. Mine seemed to pull about 20 amps, so maybe a 30 amp fuse, or tap into the factory starter power feed at the ignition switch. Why a fuse? Prevents damage if you get a short circuit.

I got a radio shack 30A relay for 5 bucks...any concerns or should I wait for the HotShot from painless wiring to be ordered?
Whatever you want, relay is a relay. I just got the Painless one because it is pre-wired, has a bracket and curcuit breaker. Just hook up a few wires and screw it in place. Also has a built-in pushbutton start which I was also wanting to add.

Last one, where did you install the relay at? I'm thinking easy would be to find an open space on the engine side of the wheel well... any thoughts?

Thanks all!
Old 10-28-2005, 05:04 PM

OK, installed relay w/ 10 guage wire from positive battery terminal to a 30A fuse through a 30A radio shack relay to the solenoid on starter. Used some extra speaker wire to run ignition voltage up through dash to a switch and then back to make contact on the relay. The switch isn't hidden really, but I guess something is better than nothing... Might fool the thieves in the lower half of the stupidity tree.

Roger, thanks for the help, and the picture.
I don't think my install looks as slick as yours, but I think it will do. Also no bump switch, but I think if I need to I can pretty easily just pull the solenoid wire from the relay and use another piece of wire to hit the battery...

Starter seems to be working well so far, I'll post again if it didn't fix it.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:57 PM

ok, so i got the painless wiring hotshot relay i mounted it but im a lil confused, can someone post some good pics with it already installed please, http://tweetphoto.com/35444153
http://tweetphoto.com/35444255
what do i do? do i cut the wire to the right and use the same connector? cause the connector that came with the kit is just a normal round one? and the other gets connected to power?

Last edited by golddog111; 07-28-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

How I hooked mine up:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions

I recently installed a Painless Wiring Hot Shot starter relay kit in my 4Runner to cure an intermittent starting problem. While my starter solenoid contacts were in good shape, I would still get an intermittent "click" when I tried to start the engine. Since my '85 has no starter relay of any sort, the ignition switch provides power to the starter solenoid directly. After 19+ years of use, I figured it was getting tired. So, by adding the relay, I took the heavy current load off the ignition switch and let the relay handle it. Installation was a snap, clip the wire running to the solenoid and run it to the relay coil, then the output wire of the relay to the solenoid and finally run the heavy relay power wire (via the supplied circuit breaker) down the the 12V post on the starter. The relay kit includes an engine "bump" switch which allows for bumping and starting the engine from under the hood. I may also run a second switch in parallel back to the dash to use as a starter button for on the trail. Take the wear and tear off the old ignition switch and make it last as long as possible. Since installing the Painless relay kit, I've experience no more starting problems, it cranks as soon as you turn the key every time. The wiring of the Painless relay kit is very much like shown below. To install it all you need to do is to cut the wire running to the starter solenoid and splice in the relay. I used connectors to tie in the relay, the incoming signal (that originally came from the ignition switch) is run to the relay coil, the output from the relay contact is tied into the remaining wire at the solenoid. Only other relay kit connections are a chassis ground and constant power from either the battery or the starter power terminal. The kit includes a circuit breaker to protect the relay and wiring from over-current.
In short, I took the small wire at the starter solenoid and cut it. Then I put on a male and female spade lug on the two ends and then for a test, plug those back together and you essentially have the original circuit. Then take the Hot Shot relay, hook the big wireto 12 volts (starter power post is one option, battery is another option), ground it, then put male and female spade lugs on it's input (the one that runs to the relay coil) and output (the other one) wire and connect the input wire to the original wire that feeds the starter solenoid and the other wire to the wire that runs to the solenoid.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 07-28-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM

oh ok awsome, i just wanted to make sure i can use that same connector without messing anything up