Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ODBii scan tools and software

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will soon have access to an MT2500 Snap-On scanner at work, as Boeing has finally called me back!!

WOOHOO!!!!
Old 09-18-2003, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BigBadBlue
:cry: its just not fair!:cry: I want a connector so I can check codes to. Marky has one why cant I?:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
If you swap in a 3.4L with its ECU then you can access the codes just like us...
Old 06-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scanning tools

Well, it appears that quite a few of you guys have dealt with this issue. What do you guys think about the Digimoto?

http://www.digimoto.com/order.htm?
Old 06-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SteveO
Well, it appears that quite a few of you guys have dealt with this issue. What do you guys think about the Digimoto?

http://www.digimoto.com/order.htm?

YODA, MIDIWALL, anybody there with experience using code scanners, anybody????
Old 06-13-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by keisur
Fixing to buy a scan tool to go with the laptop the wife just bought me, so I had to talk her into...

Anyway, just wondering which scan tool you guys use {or built yourself} and what software you use {whether you stuck with the one that came with the tool or are using one of the readily available open source programs}.

I was thinking of the one here:

www.obd-2.com for $132 (ISO iTran) shipped.

Thanks,

J.
funny you mention this, i'm in the middle (well just the planning stages right now) of building a homebuilt real time sensor recorder/analyser. i'm cheap (and poor) and i don't have obdii on my trucks, so i plan on just reading the raw data from the sensors. the key is that the output of most of the sensors is just a +/- 1v (or can easily made that way with just a few resistors and such). a +/- 1v waveform can easily be mapped as music to be recored by a minidisc player or go straight into the audio in of the laptop. then all you need is some simple math to pull out the info you want from the waveform. of course you can only monitor two things at once with sterio input. actually you can do 4 if you have both a mic in and a line in. then i'm just going to write my own programs to monitor the sensors and give me real time info the laptop. i just need to get my thesis done and i'll have some time to mess around with this stuff.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

here's a clickable link.

http://www.digimoto.com/order.htm
Old 06-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur
here's a clickable link.

http://www.digimoto.com/order.htm
Right, so does anybody know anything about this company or software? Has anybody experienced this company's software to be buggy or great?
Old 06-14-2004, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YODA, MIDIWALL, anybody there with experience using code scanners, anybody????
SteveO,

I've been using this for about a year with great results. Here I think it is the
best value on the market for the price and that it covers all the protocalls in one box instead of having to buy each one.

Scott
Old 06-14-2004, 06:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi;

Sorry about the delay, I had unsub'd from this thread and only happened to trip over it going active again.

I don't have any experience with the Digimoto.

Random thoughts after going through the website:
  • They have a 30-day money-back guarantee which is always nice to see. It looks sharp from the screenshots.

• I'd be worried that the web pages are labeled "Copyright 2003", that tends to tell me that they haven't released anything in 2004. I started to download the app to check the EXE dates, but is's 34meg in size - I can't imagine what someone could put into a 34meg payload for a Pocket PC app.

• I downloaded and installed the PC version... A 25meg payload installed as a 2.8meg app. That tells me that someone doesn't understand the installer creator (InstallShield), and that leaves me with a bad taste about the app itself.

• It has one of my biggest pet peeve's - it forced itself into a specific location on my system. The date on the exe is 3/24/04 which makes me feel a bit better. Oops! another pet peeve - the software's no good without the hardware, but yet it won't let me see the app without a registered customer ID. Personally, this would stop me from buying it.

• This statement in their FAQ bother's me a bit:
    Digimoto was originally designed to use the quarter mile stats to display information such as estimated horsepower and torque values, but became something used uniquely by street racing enthusiasts.
    I dunno how I feel about giving money to a company that openly supports street racing.

All in all... The 30 day money-back is the saving grace. It may be wonderful, but you won't know until you drop $109.

I still like my OBDDiagnostics.com unit and the Auterra.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the reply and information. I do have a laptop, but don't really like to lug it to the trail with me. The thing that really interested me was the portabality on the PocketPC. I would rather take my PocketPC to the trails than my laptop.

But then again, there is something about true and tried hardware/software that everybody uses.

Thanks for the response.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:44 AM

I agree about the draw of the PocketPC - which is why I end up using the Auterra system mroe than I thought I did.

You should see the fun when I'm out tuning my truck - I have an Air/Fuel ratio meter going, a Palm for the Auterra package for OBD-II info *and* a laptop to support the piggyback on the ECU! It's a little hairy.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
I agree about the draw of the PocketPC - which is why I end up using the Auterra system mroe than I thought I did.

You should see the fun when I'm out tuning my truck - I have an Air/Fuel ratio meter going, a Palm for the Auterra package for OBD-II info *and* a laptop to support the piggyback on the ECU! It's a little hairy.
I would really like to get the Auterra system, but $240 bones, plus the adapter, and then I would have to get a Reliable Palm device.....Whew....that's pretty hard to justify when I have a laptop.

I may end up just getting the standard OBDDiagnostics.com hardware and taking my laptop everywhere.

Which diagnostics package can tune your truck and
Old 06-14-2004, 10:28 AM

I would really like to get the Auterra system, but $240 bones, plus the adapter, and then I would have to get a Reliable Palm device.....Whew....that's pretty hard to justify when I have a laptop.
Yeup, I agree. When I did it, I'll admit to feeling loose with cash that day. If you ever feel "loose with your cash", don't forget eBay - they're up there all the time with a BIN of $209, and often go for less:

http://search.ebay.com/auterra_W0QQsosortpropertyZ1

Which diagnostics package can tune your truck and
Sorry, I may not have been clear... I use the Auterra for OBD work, and the laptop is running the software that drives this box:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=5130

As far as I know, our trucks can't be tuned through the OBD interface.

Last edited by midiwall; 06-14-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry, I may not have been clear... I use the Auterra for OBD work, and the laptop is running the software that drives this box:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=5130

As far as I know, our trucks can't be tuned through the OBD interface.
As yes, I was just talking to Jason Blanchard about this little setup.

Can the ODBII interface be used in conjunction with this piggy back plug in. I was thinking, this would be a point-up for the ODBII interface module.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:41 AM

Oops... you're quicker on the forum than I am today. I just updated my message above. To repeat the new stuff:

If you ever feel "loose with your cash", don't forget eBay - they're up there all the time with a BIN of $209, and often go for less:

http://search.ebay.com/auterra_W0QQsosortpropertyZ1

Ah yes, I was just talking to Jason Blanchard about this little setup.

Can the ODBII interface be used in conjunction with this piggy back plug in. I was thinking, this would be a point-up for the ODBII interface module.
Sure, but you'll need a pair of serial ports and something more than a PII 128meg laptop. You'll have a good bit of data coming in the serial ports so you need some horsepower (and memory) to make sure you don't drop data.

You'd run the SMT connection off of one port, then the OBD interface off of another. Both apps will run at the same time, though because of screen real estate issues, you'll swap between them versus running them side-by-side.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:05 AM

i figured i'd hijack this thread since it deals with obd stuff. as i mentioned earlier in the thread, i'm in the middle of writing my own obd software. i decided that rather than go the sound card route, i'm going to use a real adc and take input from the parallel port on my laptop. this way i can monitor more sensors and such.

my question is, does anyone know where i can get the calibration curves for the sensors? i.e. the afm will output a voltage proportional to the amount of air coming in to the engine, but how does the voltage relate to the actual mass of air.

remember, that i do not have obd-ii on my old trucks, so rather than plugging into the obd diagnostic ports, i'm going to be plugging in directly to the ecu inputs and outputs, so i need to do all the voltage -> real number calculations directly.

for those of you who care: once i get this done (or atleast to a point that it's starts to work) i'll be GPLing it and anyone who wants it can have it.