Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Octane Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Octane Question

Hey guys I have a 2000 4Runner, and was wondering which Octane of gas do you guys use. The normal 87 or do any of you opt for something a little bit higher? Just curious because I notice in the book it says "Research Octane 91" I take it they mean you should look into how the car runs on 91, dang japanese can't just say crap in english. Thanks guys.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:26 PM

I also have a 2000. I use to run the regular 87 and it ran fine. But since adding the supercharger, I run the higher octane.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:59 PM

I have been using Supreme 93 octane since I have gotten my truck and have put 3 tanks in already. Do you all think that I am better off going with mid grade instead of the supreme?
Old 10-06-2002, 04:15 PM

I drive a '91 4Runner, with some mods (K&N FIPK Kit, Custom 2-1/4" Cat-Back System with Magnaflow muffler) and I used to run 87 octane when I first got it, and then one day I decided to try 89 octane (mid-grade) and it made a difference in how my truck ran. Then I decided that if 89 made a difference, I should try 91 So I filled it up with 91 octane, and have been doing so ever since I've found that I tend to get better gas mileage with the 91 octane (because when I do fill up with 87 or 89 when I'm short on cash) I find that my gas mileage goes down noticably. I don't know if it's all in my head or what, but I personally run 91 Octane in my 1991 4Runner.

-Braden

Last edited by 91Runner; 11-02-2002 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Sunoco 94 octane.....

It pings like hell when I run 91 octane. I could use 93 but the Sunoco station around the corner from my house sells 94 for the same price.

I have a supercharger, otherwise I would happily be running 87 octane.

Noel
Old 10-08-2002, 07:01 PM

Your owners manual should tell you what octane is needed. If it says to run 87 etc. it won't benefit you to run a higher octane. I run 91 in my 92 p/u If I don't it pings.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run 87, what the manual says.

I was just in a gas discussion on another board and thought you guys might find this interesting. Some of this is quoted, but I agree with it.

Hard, empirical research has borne out time and again that a well-tuned late-model engine (OBDII) runs best on fuel within specifications made by the manufacturer. Running higher octane fuel is almost always a waste of money, no matter what the seat of your pants or your brother-in-law the mechanic says. Engines without knock sensors, older engines with carbon deposits, and engines with the effective compression ratio modified (i.e., supercharged) will need the premium stuff. Run the lowest octane the manufacturer recommends. If it doesn't knock under load, stay with it. I love it when a truck owner says that he "treats" his new vehicle to a tank of premium. The only treat in that situation is going to the oil company.

This link is below is pretty interesting. One of the things they did was put 87 octane in a new BMW M3 and compared the results. Read this link in depth.

There are three pages total:
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...e_gasoline.xml

Last edited by Jason B; 10-08-2002 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:48 PM

Thanks 4 confirming my post!
Old 10-09-2002, 05:26 AM

The problem is that I don't think my owner's manual calls for 87 octane. If I remember correctly (don't have it in front of me), I think it asked for at least 91. Can anybody confirm this? Somebody even mentioned it earlier in this thread.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:31 AM

Prior to the SC'r.

I live off I95, so I spend a lot of time on it, even to go shopping locally. I could run 87 and my 2K Runner would usually downshift on the steeper overpasses. If I ran 93 it usually would not downshift on these overpasses. That sounds like I had more power using 93 due to the knock sensor advancing the timing to the knock threshhold. Based on this alone I used 93. Also my manual says to use "octane rating 87 or higher".

My truck ran better on the "or higher", but I am in favor of everybody running whatever they feel is right for their truck, just don't tell me I am wrong because I don't do as you say if my truck doesn't behave like yours.

I like to see everyone share their experiences and their expertise, then let everone else learn from them. Then it's up to each to make up their own minds..
Old 10-09-2002, 04:21 PM

Call the dealership to see what octane is recommended.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

The 02 manual specifies 87 octane. So, if you don't have a supercharger in your 02 run the 87-88 octane midgrade.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:43 PM

I use premium 93 octane. Always have, always will, but that's just me. I like the idea of less carbon build-up & no chance of pinging, and my insane peace of mind heh. I probably enjoy throwing my money away too, but realistically switching from 93 to 87 would only save me $10 - $18 USD per month. Not enough $$$ for me to think much more about it.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by Mark

Now for a excerpt from the "history of gasoline" segment. Did you know that all the oil companies use the same pipelines. When Shell, or Texaco, etc. dump fuel into the line in Houston to send it to Detroit or where ever, they use the same pipe. There is no way to tell what company produced the gas coming out at the distribution centers. In the old days, they used a "pig" to separate products in pipelines. That's no longer done. Soooooo, they may put in 5,000 barrels of 87 octane followed by 4,000 barrels of 93 octane. Nothing separates it!!!! Yes, there is some mixing, but the oil companies say it's minimal and is separated at the distribution center. That's where the 18 wheelers are supplied. The distribution center is also where the final additives are put in by each company.
Did this show talk about the similarities of the different brands of gas? Like is Exxon the same as Wawa gas, the same as brand X?

Sounds like a good program, but I don't have cable...
Old 10-11-2002, 12:32 PM

i run the 87 just because i'm cheap, and don't need to run anything higher.

i dont think i have had any knocking, is this noticeable when it happens?

once a friend filled me up with 91. i didn't notice any difference at all.

so if you ask me, just run what your manual says, unless you have added a SC or something like that.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:57 PM

jason B - nice site. very informative. everyone should take a look at it.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

Mark, thanks for the heads up on the Modern Marvels show. I watched it tonight and it was very informative.

I always use 87 octane as per the manual. But now that I understand that 95% of all the gas companies share the same pipelines and the only difference is the additive package added at the distribution center (end of pipeline or at the truck), which gasoline company has the best additive package. I have been using Mobile for the last few years. I can get Getty on the same street for typically $0.05 cheaper per gallon.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2002, 11:26 PM

everyone who puts in higher octane thinkin they get better performance is way off. onli if ur car requires higher octane will it benifit!

here's how it goes...as explained by my friend the chemical engineer and intern at JPL.

The higher the octane, the higher compression it can withstand before self combusting. Therefore, if u put 87 in a high combustion engine, when the gas is compressed, before the engine stroke is complete, the gas will self ignite before the spark plug has a chance to ignite it... leading to premature iginition, and loss of performance. so you have to put higher octane, which ever the engine is rated for.
so if you put 91 , or something higher, it wont burn hotter, or combust harder.... it will just combust like 87 once the spark hits it.
most cars dont have high compression engines, especially yota trucks

my friend has a diesel engine bus, that doesnt even have glow plugs or nehting. the diesel combust on pressure alone. cool huH?

yeh, all those lame rice rocket ppl who think their pocket rocket will go faster in a race coz of higher octane are lame. they're "oooh i need 100 octane!!!!"
Old 11-02-2002, 06:37 AM

Good explanation. I learned that too, not very long ago unfortunately, so I too have gone with 87 instead of 93.

Contrary to my previous post in this thread, I have now done some proper research on the issue thanks to many here. My main concern was that the 93 would actually leave more sediments than the 87. Switching to 87 for the first time in many, many years and I can honestly say I don't feel any difference in power or fuel economy. No pinging whatsoever either, most importantly.
Old 11-02-2002, 02:36 PM

I saw a news program - "20/20", or a "60 Minutes" type show a little while back where they uncovered a scam where a lot of gas stations...and I mean a LOT OF GAS STATIONS put the same gasoline in the higher octane pump as they do the middle octane pump. Their advise to the consumer was you're better off to put the lower octane / lower priced gasoline offered in your car.

Quick Reply: Octane Question