Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

In a nutshell, why is the 4runner a poor HP and MPG performer? What can be done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Why did you take it to an extreme? Why can't we want something more powerful? It's not about speed for me, it's about power. Sure it says it'll pull 5000 lbs, but have you ever done that? I've done about 3500, it's an awful experience. I guess you must post your Supra TT comment in every TRD Supercharger thread on this forum.

i once pulled almost 4550 pounds with my 4runner...knew the weight b/c i was making a trip to the landfill...but i definitely won't do it again...it took forever to get goin and for stoppin, which = a lot of down-shifting to help out the brakes...lol!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by flyfishexpert
If you want an SUV with good gas mileage and is 'sporty' get a Scion

I know you didn't just call that thing an SUV.......

Old 11-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5. Drive a 3.0 4Runner with 35's for one week and never complain about your current vehicles MPG or power again.

I have 5.29's with a 5 speed but off road it's a mountian goat I wish it got better gas mileage and was faster but thats gonna get taken care of soon with my new supercharged U.R.D. set up 3.4 hehe
Old 11-09-2007, 10:30 AM

It all comes back to the "trade offs". MOST of us here have slightly-heavely modified Toyotas. If you want your gas milage to be over 19-20mpg that keep the 4runner bone stock including the 225/65/15's or whatever tire came with the truck. Almost any mod (lift,tires,bumpers,roofracks etc..) are going to effect either the weight or aerodynamics of the SUV.

The 3.4 is a very effective engine for what it was designed for light towing and reliablity. However, it is just a V-6 which is a less efficent engine than a V-8. It is not very fast but good enough. It's not the best on MPG but it's good enough.

I've recently switched from a '99 4runner to a 04 Taco. I have noticed that the Taco gets slightly better Mpg's than my 4runner and it's quicker (not FAST). I chalk that up to a slightly lighter vehicle, and a newer vehicle. But it's still about the same. If you don't off-road too much get a "4x4" highlander or a Sante Fe and follow a STOCK 4runner down a trail and see how long you keep up!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by E-money
It all comes back to the "trade offs". MOST of us here have slightly-heavely modified Toyotas. If you want your gas milage to be over 19-20mpg that keep the 4runner bone stock including the 225/65/15's or whatever tire came with the truck. Almost any mod (lift,tires,bumpers,roofracks etc..) are going to effect either the weight or aerodynamics of the SUV.

The 3.4 is a very effective engine for what it was designed for light towing and reliablity. However, it is just a V-6 which is a less efficent engine than a V-8. It is not very fast but good enough. It's not the best on MPG but it's good enough.

I've recently switched from a '99 4runner to a 04 Taco. I have noticed that the Taco gets slightly better Mpg's than my 4runner and it's quicker (not FAST). I chalk that up to a slightly lighter vehicle, and a newer vehicle. But it's still about the same. If you don't off-road too much get a "4x4" highlander or a Sante Fe and follow a STOCK 4runner down a trail and see how long you keep up!

excellent point, but i just wanted to say it IS POSSIBLE to get over 20mpg, as with my 4runner i average 22mpg on highway trips, even with my 265 tires! but also, great point about following a stock 4runner...
Old 11-09-2007, 10:44 AM

Hmm...I wonder if your odometer is off? Again, I love the 4runner. Does everything, I just wonder what can be done to maximze the little v-6.

I agree with running a 3.slow. I would set that thing on fire and dump down a ravine or swap for a 3.4 or sell to a little, vietnimise woman...then buy a 3.4.

I like the bomb proof, anywhere capability and 200K usage compared to the other imposter crap on the road. Besides a land rover, there was nothing out there in 99 that could touch the 4runner for showroom capability.

Ok....so what everyone is saying is....sucks to be you pal! No worthy mods for you. Ok...back to the dirt bike...
Old 11-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
I have 5.29's with a 5 speed but off road it's a mountian goat
Second that...

Originally Posted by olharleyman
I wish it got better gas mileage and was faster but thats gonna get taken care of soon with my new supercharged U.R.D. set up 3.4 hehe
I am getting ready to swap in a 3.4 myself, sans supercharger. Man... we rock!!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wife's 4runner
Ok....so what everyone is saying is....sucks to be you pal! No worthy mods for you. Ok...back to the dirt bike...
Actually, most everyone is giving you tips or sympathizing with you... but you have failed to see that.

So....... braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppp.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
i once pulled almost 4550 pounds with my 4runner...knew the weight b/c i was making a trip to the landfill...but i definitely won't do it again...it took forever to get goin and for stoppin, which = a lot of down-shifting to help out the brakes...lol!

In my case it was pulling motorcycles and a trailer to the track. Needless to say with traffic and a slow 4Runner it took 6 hours to get to Houston, should have only taken three. The reason I don't sell it is because I only get frustrated like 4-5x per year with it. The rest of the year using it as a mountain bike hauler it's fine. I could never daily drive it though, I'd go insane.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by p nut
I know you didn't just call that thing an SUV.......

I should have put quotes around SUV; like so - 'SUV'

I prefer to call these UAV's or Urban Asphalt Vehicles My bad
Old 11-09-2007, 10:51 AM

I call them "I wanna feel like I have an SUV, but don't want to pony up and pay the gas and still get stuck in my driveway loser rig".
Old 11-09-2007, 10:59 AM

the sante fe is just a screwed up lookin minivan. if you dont like payin high gas prices, buy an old VW bug that gets about 35-40 a gallon. lol
Old 11-09-2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
the sante fe is just a screwed up lookin minivan.
Hey, man, I've seen those Sante Fe's get wheeled HARD! I'm dead serious. Pretty funny. I think it was on youtube or something. I'd never get one, but I guess you can have your fun in anything.

Oh, wifey runner, your thread has been

MAN, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS 3-DAY WEEKEND TO GET STARTED!!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:04 AM

oh yeah so have i, but i dont like em. my gramma has one, and i hate that thing. seats feel like boulders, its turning radius is all screwed up, and has a rougher ride than my 88 yota. lol.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah,the 4Runner isn't too bad but I also went form a car weighing 3100lbs and had double the 4Runner's HP.

It would be nice to have the power of the 4th gens since another 50hp would make it easier to pull hills in a lower gear;I hate winding my Runner up just to do 70 on the interstate up mountain passes.

I have driven a 3.0 and they do make the 3.4 reasonable feeling since the 3.0 is a poke up in the hills and I can't drive one.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 AM

haha thats why i like my 22re. from what ive heard about the 3.0, the 22re has the same amount of power, if not more. i do about 60-65 on the interstate in the mountains.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM

I hope the amount of ignorance in this thread isn't foreshadowing the future of YT. So many people here are willing to help and it just falls on deaf ears.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 AM

Your wife's one mile commute could also be skewing your mpg results. If I'm reading correctly, traveling only 1 mile at a time hardly gives you time to warm up or build up any momentum and cruise. I bet that could easily affect your mpg's %10 or more. Just something to think about.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
if you dont like payin high gas prices, buy an old VW bug that gets about 35-40 a gallon. lol
No bug ever got good milage, the 1.8T jettas did, but the old Bugs (70s) didn't and the new ones (no turbo) didn't either. My neighbor said his FJ gets as good milage as their 99 VW bug.

Wife's 4runner.
I have read through these forums for years and the only real power imrovement seems to be the SC, but it is a lot or work to get it right.
The 4runner was fine before (designed in the 90s) and still adequate, but everyone else got faster, more efficient and bigger engines. With a 1 mile commute you probably get <15miles per gallon and then spend the weekend to get it back to higher mpg. I see the same thing as I have short commute with a hill.
If you drove longer you would see better mpg I thought mine had gone down the tube but a couple of roadtrips showed it is back to normal ( if I don't do this petty commute).
I sometimes think of checking out a 4th gen for the added power, but the mpg doesn't get substantionally better.

You could see some mpg gains keeping tire pressue up, deckplate, or upen the airbox, check airfilter and perhaps getting a tuneup. But my guess is you won't see much difference doing such a short commute.

Last edited by Roadtripr; 11-09-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM

get your wife an electric scooter

Quick Reply: In a nutshell, why is the 4runner a poor HP and MPG performer? What can be done?