Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New throttle body no more high idle!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 09:02 AM

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts
Hey 83
Did you ever get this sorted?
I have a high idle but couple of years ago had TB rebuilt - (some outfit in FL), trying to avoid this issue upon reassebly. right.
Reassembled the IAC, and not sure why (or how ackshully) did bring idle down to 1200 ish. Reasonably certain I don't have vacuum leaks. Sure don't want to pop $270 on new IAC alone.

However this engine is a 11/99 build. 5 speed, with cruise. Of course mdb's (OP) -62030 does not fit my VIN. They recommend Part Number:22210-62210 (Discontinued)
It has Production Date: 11/1995-08/2000. So not sure whats up.

But check the IAC (large range of applicable build dates for a ubiquitous part; 11/95 thru 8/2000). Not sure if its worth the $40 wasted bux to go ebay as a test or not.

22270-62050
Valve Assy, Idle Speed Control(For Throttle Body)

Last edited by coopster; 11-24-2023 at 09:07 AM. Reason: delete ginourmous amount of empty space.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:29 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Hey, no, I'm waiting to hear how he got the linkages off the new throttle body. These trucks are old enough now that being strict about the VIN search will lead you astray...I bought this new throttle body knowing it's not the right one for my truck, because it doesn't have cruise control. It seems like there are several throttle bodies for this year-range truck. The difference is auto vs manual, cruise vs no. Then for some reason...there's one like mine with some very different linkages. But all of them will bolt up to our engine. It's just a matter of how much modification we're willing to do with the linkages.

Anyway, the new throttle body has all the attachments - IAC, speed control etc. So if I can figure out how to make it work for my truck, I'll have all that new stuff.

There's a chance I'll need to do something like buy a cheap, used throttle body from ebay to get the throttle linkages that fit this new one, since my old one is somehow unique and things don't line up right. But before that...I need to figure out how to get the linkages off this new one.

Last edited by 83; 11-26-2023 at 02:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
coopster (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 08:17 AM

I recall seeing in the past (but can't seem to find it - surprise) a post by one of the resident wizards about taking that all apart. And putting a small washer/spacer next to the TB itself to pull that whole assembly and throttle plate towards 'the front' to close a common gap. But that was a few years ago, and as I was reassembling the motor, I sent the TB off to whoever that was in Florida.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:28 AM

While looking for that thread I did find this one, particularly concerning the crappy chyna-co parts.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...3&goto=newpost

Old 11-26-2023, 02:33 PM

Yeah I remember seeing a thread on that too...

My old linkages came off just fine. It's a pressed-on washer, then c-ring, then everything slides off. New one looks easier, just a threaded nut. But once it's off, nothing else budges. Could be I just need to use more force, but I really don't want to damage anything. Unsurprisingly, there are a lot more plastic parts on the new one.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:59 AM

Here's someone who went through the same thing. If you know what to look for, you can see both springs attached to a pin, nothing attached to the dashpot. Sounds like he got away with not using the dashpot, but needed to fabricate something on the throttle cable bracket. I wish he had posted photos of that...but it seems like I'll be able to make this one work. We'll see...

Last edited by 83; 11-27-2023 at 06:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
coopster (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 09:19 AM

MaxBore. Thats the company.

Totally unrelated, I check every thread I see to look at pics (and 'tube vids) to ensure I didn't mess up hoses, as this is a swap.
I don't recall if any two had hoses plumbed the same. that link to tacoworld made me think of that.
Old 12-05-2023, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tps measurements

Originally Posted by mdh
I have been plagued by high idle for a while now and after ruling everything else out I finally decided to replace the throttle body.
I would keep encountering high idle, anywhere from 1000rpm up to 2500 rpm. If I hit the throttle sometimes it would come down to normal. I could see the data on my scanner and the TPS would read 10.2 at normal idle and sometimes get stuck anywhere from 11-12.8%. There was a lot of play in the throttle body shaft and I could see where the butterfly was rubbing and getting stuck.
The proper TB for a 98 3.4 manual with cruise control (2221062210) has been discontinued by Toyota. It may be available from Japan for 1,250$ but that seemed ridiculous.
I ordered 22210-62230 which did not have the cruise control parts on the linkage. From there I just swapped over my old linkage, cruise control bracket and dash pot. My idle is now perfect and the TPS returns to 9.6 and every time.

You said you could see that the TPS would read as high as 12.8%. How do you get a reading from the TPS?

I've been having a crazy idle problem for about 6 months since I got my AC converted and running. Sometines its 250 and almost stalls.. sometimes its almost 3000. Sometimes it cycles/hunts between 800 and 1400 and just keeps rising and dropping rhythmically until I accelerate. It could do all 3 of these things (hi/low/cycle) in the space of a few minutes.

Tested, opened, cleaned AFM. Tested fine with the multimeter, wasn't really dirty or anything inside. Obviously checked for vac leaks all over - none. Net stop was TB and TPS. Cleaned body really good. Air blown through all passages. Butterfly is snappy and tight. Linkage is good.

Here is where I'm stuck: I tested my TPS and found it to be spec in 4/5 tests with ohm meter. Test 2 was either infinity or above 10. I couldn't adjust it to get a number below 2.3 kohms. So I got a brand new one from Toyota dealer. Put it on and tested it. SAME EXACT PROBLEM. 4 tests spec out fine. Test 2 is either infinity or too high. I have a video. I give it the slightest taps with the tip of my screw driver to adjust it and as soon as I get any number at all it's 10 to 13.

I feel like I cant go any further in my diagnosis if I cant get the TPS set. I even tested my TPS on my buddies body and it was the same issue. Im desperate for help. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but IDK. My brain is wracked.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mdh
8-900 is still high. Makes me think it isnt actually the TB.
Does it make any difference if you pull the throttle body linkage towards the front of the car when you close it?
what kind of data is the TPS giving on your scanner?
How do you get a reading off a TPS? What kind of scanner do you use? I've been having erratic idle for 6 months since I got my AC converted and charged and working. But the idle problem is all the time not just when AC is on. Sometimes as low as 250 sometimes as high as 3000. Sometimes cycles between 800 to 1200 in a rhythmic pattern. Sometimes all 3 within a few minutes of eachother.

Ive tested and cleaned AFM it was clean and functional and tested good on ohm meter. Checked for vac leaks extensively multiple times - none. Took TB off and cleaned. All air passages are clear. Butterfly moves smoothly and snaps tight. Linkage seems fine. Stop screw is set properly. Tried taking dash pot off entirely even though it does work fine and isn't sticking. TWO brand new TPS from Toyota dealer and I cant get them set properly in IDL-E2. I think this is my problem. It's either infinity or well above 2300 k ohms. Like 10000 plus. I cant really test any other theories until I can get my TPS set properly and verify if that was the source of the problem. Ive had about 5 other people try as well. Same problem with IDL - E2. Please help me. Im at the end of my rope.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:00 AM

TPS testing

Nattygirl, did you connect your multimeter to the terminals? I will attempt to add a page to this post, its the TPS test from factory manual (FOR THE 99 model).

Also, theres some vid on 'tube showing how to watch. Basically tho, you need to go slowly as you range from Close to Open and back, and watch you don't have jumps.
Altho, I don't think you should find a problem since you replaced the TPS itself.
I've got to retest mine. I had managed to get my idle down (after it warmed) to 1100 I think it was. So I pulled the TPS connector, and it dropped to 6-650 if i remember correct. Which also told me I did not have a vacumm leak and I solved my IAC problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CI__P0120_TPS.pdf (74.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 12-27-2023, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
Oh, shoot! I apologize. I'm still thinking first gen, 22RE type stuff. I do apologize for my brain's lack. No, there's no Idle Adjust Screw any longer. I am really sorry about this...
Pat☺
Can you point me in the right direction? Having crazy high/low erratic idle. 2500 down to 250 and no rhyme or reason. Cold/hot, doesn't matter.. Im working my way through things currently have my old style iacv off and opened up. Ive gently cleaned it and I swear I remember someone posting about how to "adjust" it but I cant find any threads here, or videos online. Im dying over here. Idk what to do with this thing and Im not really well educated on auto mechanics so im fumbling in the dark.

I put it by the fire and it didn't close one iota. I put it in the freezer and it didn't open one iota. It tests fine on ohm meter though.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:11 AM

Well I hope mdh revisits this thread at some point. I haven't had any luck getting the linkages off, people at Tacomaworld didn't have advice, and I guess the owner of MaxBore died, so I'd really like to figure this out. Brand new throttle body has been sitting on the floor for months now

There may be another rebuilder out there, not sure. My plan, if I couldn't get linkages swapped, was to get this new one on the truck, and send my old one to be rebuilt. Can't be without the truck for the time it would take to rebuild my original throttle body. As-is, the new one doesn't have cruise control and I'd need to fabricate a cable linkage on my truck because of some different angles with the new throttle body linkage attachments. I'd be willing to put up with no cruise for a few weeks while the other was getting rebuilt. But now I'm temporarily out of luck on that front too.