Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Rear Leafs Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah it rides good

My truck rides good, I have Rancho RS9000 9 ways so I can dial them in or out depending on what Im doing! My rear brake lines were fine, the valve on the back is called a proportioning valve, Im not 100% sure 4-runners use them, 1st gens might. When you get a load in the back and the rear sags it basically makes your rear brakes run with more pressure than normal, or makes them work better! The Downeys come with a bracket that you bolt to your rear axle then bolt the proportioning valve arm to it so the rear brakes work properly. Once my springs broke in they ride pretty good but they do need some time to sag in. They also come with new bushings, you will still need to pick up 4 more poly bushings if you want to for where the shackles bolt to the frame. NOW, with Ball Joint spacers installed the Tbars wound down you dont really gain any hight, just more movment. I had my T bars would up for a while and it looked good but rode like dog-˟˟˟˟˟, way to bouncy and no travel! I cranked them back down a few turns under stock and it looks and rides GREAT, much more flex than before. My front shocks are not long enough though, I had to make some custom poly bushings to extend them down 3/4", bu that was my fault for buying the wrong damn size, and using them instead of just sending them back.!!
Old 01-08-2005, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea the 1 gen 4runner have the Load Sensing Proportioning Valve for the rear brakes. I have seen on another site where you just cut the rod off acouple of inches out from the valve and use a turn-buckle to self adjust the brake pressure YOU want to go to the back tires.

How do you like the RS9000's??? Thinking about getting them also.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bryan
Lets make sure I am following. If I go with the Downey 3" rear springs and 1.5" BJ spacers my 4Runner will be level, fit 33's, and still have a close to stock ride? Did you have to extend your brake lines? What about the parking brake vlave on the rear axle. Thanks Bryan
I just want to reiterate that I only went with the 3" because of my 135# bumper. I reused the stock shackles cuz I didn't know if I would want extended until I saw the finished product. Now I'm happy the way it is and will probably just replace with a stock length greasable when it's convenient. Sounds like SoCal would like a bit more than the 2" gave him though... so I guess make your best decision based on that. I guess I should also mention that I have the 1" RB BL on in regards to fitting 33's. I don't know that it's necessary but just to keep in mind when looking at the clearance with 31's in my pics.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilovemountains
If you want a set of shacles for a sweet price contact John Nord at nordjn@msn.com he will hook you up with what ever size you want for $32.95 plus shipping!!!!. Here is a link to his site http://southwest4x4.net/index.cgi?Me...ExpandedDepts= take a look at the shackles here as this is what they will come to you like http://southwest4x4.net/index.cgi?Pa...ExpandedDepts= you wont find a better deal! Matt
I emailed him a couple of days ago and haven't got any reply from him. Do you have some of his shackles? Got any pics except for the ones on his website?