95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New pics of my rig.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks......

......sinister.

Nice clean rig, man.

Curious if you have any rubbing issues at that height.

What offset / backspacing on the wheels?

I'm running slightly larger than stock tire with the 4" BS on same wheels. No rubbage with stock wheels and same tires, but now I get rubbing at mid-turn if there is any articulation pushing inside front wheel upwards. It rubs on the Limited flare, bottom bolt. Haven't gotten around to fixing yet, but I have set of '99 springs to install in spring.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 PM

Looks awesome. I love the look of the painted bumpers now.

My tacoma is exactly like your truck. All black with black rock crawlers. Wish they were aluminum pro comps tho.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 PM

No clear coat on the bumpers.

My front tires did rub on the limited fender flares on the front while turning. As you can see by the picture I ripped off the flare attached to the front bumper. You can see in the second picture I used a dremel and cut the lower plastic part of the front bumper at an angle. Then I used a hammer and pounded the metal part of the bumper in more. No issues with rubbing now. The backspacing on the wheels is 4".
Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio4R
Where are your stock skids at?
Stock skid won't fit with the diff drop unless I modify it. I'm just planning to buy a set of budbuilt ones with the belly pan insted.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:53 AM

Sweet ride!
One month? Wow!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:13 AM

wow, looks good. this is what me and the wife are thinkin about for her.. only bad thing is that she wants white lol... but ya it looks super clean man
Old 01-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 86Toyrunna
wow, looks good. this is what me and the wife are thinkin about for her.. only bad thing is that she wants white lol... but ya it looks super clean man
I wanted a white one too, but I couldn't find one with an e-locker.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:43 PM

I dig it!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ohio4r: I just realized the truck in your avatar has a drivers side drop. Got some american full width's under there or somethin? probly means its got a chev 350 or somethin and chev running gear! Whats up with that?
Btw nice runner yougot there
Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 PM

how much did that 1.2 kit cost you? i cant find any prices on their site... and do you like it?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by algranger
Ohio4r: I just realized the truck in your avatar has a drivers side drop. Got some american full width's under there or somethin? probly means its got a chev 350 or somethin and chev running gear! Whats up with that?
haha thanks! im not even sure about that lol just found the picture and it looked sweet so i used it as my avatar
Old 01-23-2009, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

The truck is looking great! You sure aren't wasting any time!
I see your hitch is one of the drop hitch versions, they make one that is straight across or you can just flip the cross bar upside down. I see you don't have a problem with cutting yoru stock tin so this is what I did on my old 98. You will have to get some new chain hoops put on but that shouldn't cost much. I'm sure it will be cheaper than buying a whole other hitch. If your planning on doing a body lift I would do that before doing this mod, you might not have to cut at all depending on how high you go.

My Hitch Flip Writeup

I am also curious what you did with your light wires. I have never wanted to drill a hole so I'm curious about your findings.

Last edited by turboale; 01-23-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool rig but I'm always skeptical of all that spray can paint on a rig under
real world trail riding ,bush and tree rubbing and river bed crossing.
My rig gets pretty roughed up with no painted panels, bumpers, wheels etc....

With all due respect to everyone......... I know there are runners that are decked out ,that will never see the dirt or are kept far from any real world off roading. My buddy has one of them..............decked out with big tires,lift, etc and
gets to the trail 2-3 times a year...............otherwise it's kept as better than factory new in his garage...........while he drives a 2nd older runner to get better gas mileage......
And he treats that one like it's new as well!!
Something I always consider when modding or comparing my runner to another.

Herculiner intrigues me.......or powdercoating.
Kenny S>
Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by eich75
how much did that 1.2 kit cost you? i cant find any prices on their site... and do you like it?
I paid around $1300 for the kit and that was with shipping. I like the kit a lot. Really easy to install, and Steve has done his homework. Everything was built for a purpose. I field tested it on Tuesday and it worked amazing. If you get his kit I recommend reading all the instructions first becasue it will save you a lot of work in the long run. Plus if you have any questions just send him an e-mail. Everytime I had a question I would e-mail and within the hour I had a reply, even on the weekends. I recommend his kits to anyone. Worth the money in my opinion.

Originally Posted by turboale
I am also curious what you did with your light wires. I have never wanted to drill a hole so I'm curious about your findings.

I fed the wires through the drivers side rear door and routed the wires under the interior panels up to the dash. I covered the wires in wire tubing. I just slammed the door a couple times to flatten it out. It sealed up nicely. We just got a lot of rain and no water leaked through. I had to get creative with mounting the lights to the basket. I bought some metal brackets at home depot and drilled where you mount the wind faring to. I was able to drop the lights down to where I wanted. I trimmed the wind faring to slide over the light brackets.

Originally Posted by sharrack
Cool rig but I'm always skeptical of all that spray can paint on a rig under
real world trail riding ,bush and tree rubbing and river bed crossing.
My rig gets pretty roughed up with no painted panels, bumpers, wheels etc....

With all due respect to everyone......... I know there are runners that are decked out ,that will never see the dirt or are kept far from any real world off roading. My buddy has one of them..............decked out with big tires,lift, etc and
gets to the trail 2-3 times a year...............otherwise it's kept as better than factory new in his garage...........while he drives a 2nd older runner to get better gas mileage......
And he treats that one like it's new as well!!
Something I always consider when modding or comparing my runner to another.

Herculiner intrigues me.......or powdercoating.
Kenny S>
This is no mall crawler by any means. That is why I won't pay someone a ton of money to paint my stuff. It's going to get scraped and gets real world trail riding. I use spray paint because it's cheaper, and fast and easy to touch up. This way I don't cringe when my junk gets scraped.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:01 PM

I have the same exact truck. Super happy with it. No money to put into the mods yet, but I'm looking to make the wheels black and maybe the bumper. Thanks for showing me what it's going to look like!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 AM

Quick question. Your rig has inspired me to go ahead with the painting of the bumpers and grill on my rig. I really like how yours turned out. I picked up some Bulldog this weekend for $14 and i found some high performance rustoleum flat black paint for like $4 a can. Did you have to do much prep work (sanding, cleaning, primer?) Thanks for any info or tips.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
like the trd sticker
Old 01-26-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Drsuesss
Quick question. Your rig has inspired me to go ahead with the painting of the bumpers and grill on my rig. I really like how yours turned out. I picked up some Bulldog this weekend for $14 and i found some high performance rustoleum flat black paint for like $4 a can. Did you have to do much prep work (sanding, cleaning, primer?) Thanks for any info or tips.
All I did was clean off the bumper with water. You could sand it down with maybe a 320 grit if you wanted. It wouldn't hurt. Just do a bunch of light coats when you paint. You could add a clear coat if you wanted for added durability to prevent from rock chips.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 AM

What is the backspacing on your rims? I was looking at a set of Mickey Thomsons but I'm just not sure.
Aaron
Old 01-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xcmountain80
What is the backspacing on your rims? I was looking at a set of Mickey Thomsons but I'm just not sure.
Aaron
Aaron, see below

Originally Posted by sinister_rn61
No issues with rubbing now. The backspacing on the wheels is 4".

Quick Reply: New pics of my rig.