Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new mods a comin!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new mods a comin! (updated)

Going to be fun couple of days... my sliders and wet okoles both arrived this morning! Seat covers should be on within a couple of days... gotta setup and appointment with the welder for the sliders... hopefully by the weekend.

---------------
--- EDIT ---
---------------

Ok, false alarm on the seat covers. 2 shipments arrived today... one was obviously the sliders, and the second box my wife assumed was my seat covers. The second box was actually the mounting hardware for the sliders.

I called Wet Okole for a tracking number, and according to UPS, the covers should be her tomorrow, so I'll have pics of the covers tomorrow.

For now, here are a couple of pre-welding pics of the sliders. They are 65" long, which seems to be about perfect. There is also a 1" rise in the slider, which offers a bit more clearance, but still offers a very functional step.

Last edited by jacksonpt; 06-25-2002 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet..

Yeah, take the cam to the welders and try to do a write up, that would be great!
Old 06-25-2002, 09:32 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Jackson, awsome looking sliders! How and what are you going to paint them with?

I have Hammerite Rust Cap brand paint on mine.
You can get it in gloss black to match the Smittybilt look, or a Hammered finish which mine are.
The Hammered look says "Hammered" on the can.
The Hammered look also gives the surface a ball peened two colored look to it.

Looking forward to a write-up on those puppies.
PS, how are you going to mount them? Just a straight weld to the frame, plates?
Here is the way mine are done.
Whoever welds them on could do them this way.
It makes it easy to take them off should you want to repaint them.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:38 PM

Hey, pretty cool! I can't wait to see them on there. They seem nice and shouldn't be too hard to do? How long do you think that it will take to finish? Can't wait to see it!
Old 06-25-2002, 02:04 PM

Nice! Very nice! I can't wait to see them mounted on your truck.

Al
Old 06-25-2002, 05:17 PM
Banned

First, I like the new look and layout of your website. Its a big improvement over the old one.

I'm curious about the painting deal to. Will you paint before or after the welding? I suggest painting as much as possible now, leaving the weld areas for after the install. Trying to get the nooks and crannies after install will be tough and if you paint the whole things the welder will sand off a bunch of paint before working and will charge you for the extra labor to boot.

Who made the sliders? And from what diameter and thickness of tube? And the big question, how much coin did they set you back?
Old 06-25-2002, 05:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes, Matt brought up a good point. Mine were rattle can painted first before he put them on. Here is how they did mine.
I think I will pick up some saw horsies too and some rod. That is a good method for being able to shoot the whole slider at once instead of having it laying on the ground.

After he welded them on, his wife had to retouch up the tubes again that were against the frame. She held cardboard up there and shot the tubes and the area he had grinded off the frame to get a good contact before he welded the tubes on.

You can see the paint job she shot in another photo in this thread from earlier today.
Corey
Old 06-26-2002, 04:00 AM

OK boys and girls... here's the deal... I got the sliders from a very reputable guy, but he asked me to keep most of the details off the boards until they are painted, fitted, and photoed. He used me as his 4Runner ginnea pig as he had never made them for a runner before. He asked me to keep all the info/details between him and myself until everything is finished... didn't want any issues to arrise on the boards before he had a chance to address them.

I will say this though... they are a true slider, meant for the trail, not the mall. I got them for a little less because I was the ginnea pig, but they will sell for about what the All-Pros go for, maybe a little less.

As for painting them... I'm going to sand them down this weekend, prime them and rattle can them. That should give them a good base coat, and will be easy to touch up as necessary.

I hope to have the welded next week, and I'll give you more details then... including where they came from, diameter, thickness, etc... sorry boys.