Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Gears and Lockers are in!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guinness
Reply to rtdawgs, an answer to your question is arb's front and rear. I cant wait to try them out, though I am having some trouble w/ my 4wd light and I cant tell (around) town if I am getting 4hi all the time or not at all I do know 4lo works.
That's scarry. If the front diff is not put back in right, the vaccume ADD system will not work right.

You should have asked me a few more questions, Lance has the Inchworm man build him 2 complete diffs with gears. I guess all he needed to buy was the casting which were cheap since the ARB replaces the carrier, the R&P and the install kit do the rest.

Then it's a simple diff swap. Anyway take it back and make them fix it.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:19 PM

When I had my 4.88:1's put in, they too made noise, I had the shop readjust the pinion and they were good for a few months but I still occasionally hear something faint on deceleration that sounds the similar. I also had new axle seals and rear brake shoes installed (OEM parts) only to have the seals fail again about 8-9 months later. I would call the shop except they are so hard to communicate with in the first place and they have proven their inability to perform competent work, so why should I think they are capable of fixing it if they couldn't do it right the first two times? Not to mention they left the spring out of the rear drums that adjusts the parking brake so now it is loose as well. None of these thing are huge deals and have been corrected at more cost to me but I can safely not recommend taking your truck to Ventura 4x4 (in Ventura CA). I was referred to them by members on 4x4wire. FWIW, I wanted to go through Hill off road in SLO but they were booked for weeks on end.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
I wanted to go through Hill off road in SLO but they were booked for weeks on end.
There's a reason for that. Are you the legendary Sean Estes with a new name?
Old 06-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Its great to hear you got them in! Take it back to them at least once for them to fix it. If they can't then move on to another shop that you know does better work. No point in going back in and having them rip something else up.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I called the shop today and the guy said if it doesnt quiet down w/in a few hndrd mi. then I should bring it back early (instead of 500-1000) and they will readjust everything.

On the 4wd indicator light issue I did a search to find causes and solutions. Since my last post I have discovered (by way of construction site) that 4hi and 4lo are functioning normally. So are the lockers as far as I can tell. ( turning them off sounds like cheesy nitrous)
So is there a connection for the light @ the diffs, if so could you give me a clue as to where and how many wires? This seems likely since the front end was just completely torn up.

If not that could I be the victim of crazy strange circumstance
just to make me nutsw?