new fuel filter,,,,is it possible?!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea.. go figure
Old 06-24-2004, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MLesch
Ive heard that the filter is hard to change on the 22re, anyone tell me where it is and how hard it actully is to change on a 1st gen 4runner.
The fuel filter on a 22re is a pain, but it can be lessened:

1. jack up the truck high on the passenger front and put it on a jackstand,
2. remove the passenger side tire
3. remove the access plate on the inner fender
4. take off the gas cap
5. remove the front fuel line. I think it takes a 17mm socket DO NOT REMOVE REAR LINE
6. remove the mounting bolts, upper and lower. 12mm I think (maybe 14mm)
7. pull the fuel filter out between the fender and frame and remove the rear fuel line. Trust me, this saves a ton of grief of trying to reach in and remove the rear fuel line.
8. remove the filter while trying to hold it somewhat level. It will have gas in it and will spill all over
9. remove plug(s) from new filter
10. install rear fuel line on the filter making sure to use the new copper gaskets at the banjo fitting
11. mount fuel filter on block
12. install front fuel line on the filter making sure to use the new copper gaskets. When installing the fuel lines make sure in both instances to ensure the gaskets are still in place when you put the banjo fitting on the filter.
13. make sure fuel line bolts are snug. Use an opened end wrench to hold the filter ends when tightening so as not to rip the filter
14. fire up the truck and check for leaks. It will take a bit of extra cranking to get it started since the fuel system has a pocket of air in it.
15. button everything back up, put on the tire, drop it on the ground and pat yourself on the back. You just beat the crap out of your knuckles, upset the neighbors, emabarrassed your wife, taught your kids and all the kids in the neighborhood all sorts of new vocabulary words to use on the playground and you saved yourself a trip to the mechanic and $35-40
Old 06-24-2004, 11:37 AM

Would having a really old fuel filter cause a strain on the fuel pump?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Yeah, new filter can make a huge difference. Make sure to put a little teflon tape on the threads to get a good seal.
Do not put teflon tape in a 3rd gen filter threads. It uses a flare nut connection and the tape serves absolutely no purpose.

Gadget
Old 06-24-2004, 04:12 PM

Well ive just spent the last hour & half trying do replace my fuel filter,but the F***in thing wont come out i got the first line of fairly easy & then tried working on the other(front end) ,its proving impossible to crack.so i thought i ll take the crossmember off,well that wouldnt budge either with my crappy little socket set,so now im F***ed.how do you get the crossmember off.?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jantha
I just changed mine last night. Definately a do it yourself job...It's not hard at all on the 2nd gen. Takes a little bit of patience, but all in all pretty easy.

I could swear it made a difference too... doesn't seem like I have to mash the pedal as far to get a little speed going.
One of my fittings was on so tight it started to round the hex shape. I'll let the dealer mess with t next time. As another member pointed out - its frustrating to be able to change your own clutch and not a fuel filter.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Victor
One of my fittings was on so tight it started to round the hex shape. I'll let the dealer mess with t next time. As another member pointed out - its frustrating to be able to change your own clutch and not a fuel filter.
thats the problem im having AHHHHHHH
Old 06-24-2004, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Poke Runner
Would having a really old fuel filter cause a strain on the fuel pump?
well if it dosen't have to pull/push as hard to get the fuel to the engine, it has to have less strain on it... kinda like drinking a milkshake through a straw, the more clogged the straw is with whatever's in your shake, like strawberry chunks, the more strain there is on you to get it into your mouth....lol
Old 06-24-2004, 05:47 PM

I had a 88 and a 93 with a 22re motor. the both needed the fuel filter replaced. I got a fuel filter and found where Toyota mounted them( very hard to find ) and never put one on. It look like to much work. May this truck I will change the fuel filter.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Maddog
thats the problem im having AHHHHHHH
Yay I finally got it to crack,i used a new spanner,It took me about 40 min's to do the whole thing once i got that stupid nut off.
Its going better now,so i recomend doing yours.just make sure you use good tools & make sure your on the nut correctly before trying to turn it.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

filter removal!

Yeah, I didnt have much luck with the front side line either till I realized I was turning it the wrong damn way! ahhh fun times
Old 06-28-2004, 01:20 PM

i have a question, my dad's mitsubishi mighty max has 90k miles on it, i think it's a 92... and i mentioned the fuel filter thing to him and i was wondering if you think his would be worth replacing to... it would probably help just like on a yota, but do you think it is time for a replacement yet??

cause if it's a good time i'd replace it for him.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:59 PM

i changed mine when i got my runner. it had 148,000 miles on it. i could definately tell an improvement though it was seized on very good. i had to soak it in wd-40 about 5 times and fight it for a half hour, but it was definately an improvement. also when i changed mine i unpluged the battery and reset the ecu. i think that helped to to adjust it to the differance in fuel flow.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Figit090
i have a question, my dad's mitsubishi mighty max has 90k miles on it, i think it's a 92... and i mentioned the fuel filter thing to him and i was wondering if you think his would be worth replacing to... it would probably help just like on a yota, but do you think it is time for a replacement yet??

cause if it's a good time i'd replace it for him.
Well mines only done 140k Km,which is roughly what...about 75k miles.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by carose725
i changed mine when i got my runner. it had 148,000 miles on it. i could definately tell an improvement though it was seized on very good. i had to soak it in wd-40 about 5 times and fight it for a half hour, but it was definately an improvement. also when i changed mine i unpluged the battery and reset the ecu. i think that helped to to adjust it to the differance in fuel flow.
I never reset my ecu after doing this,(i will be soon as im half way to finisih my ISR mod,) but i still noticed a good improvement.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:08 AM

gadget thnx for tip on teflon tape for 3rd gen's. doing my filter this week, i'm going with a Bosch if available for the 4runner.

Bosch vs. Toyota dealer brand? any comments on fuel filter choice?
Old 06-29-2004, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sn0w_m0nkey
Bosch vs. Toyota dealer brand? any comments on fuel filter choice?
Stick with OEM. A little more $$$, but worth it IMO. I think you'll be glad that you did in the end. I just changed mine out and feels like a new truck. Hit up Todd "TOR" from this forum, he's the main parts guy from Toyota of Richardson (Texas). He'll give you a pretty good price on the fuel filter.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota will tell you not to replace the fuel filter it was changed per thier FSM it used be changed every 30,000 miles then it was changed to 75,000 then they said it was a lifetime filter. I think it would be safe to assume every 75,000 miles to change it. I had a real bear of a time replacing my fuel filter as well.
I ended up replacing the forward fuel line it's only about $45 and pretty easy to change. I tried to remove the line when I had it completely off the fitting was rusted to the fuel filter so it wouldn't budge. I honestly think it is easier disconnect at the forward fuel line than pulling your crossmember out IMHO.

Last edited by 934rnr; 06-29-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Maddog
Yay I finally got it to crack,i used a new spanner,It took me about 40 min's to do the whole thing once i got that stupid nut off.
Its going better now,so i recomend doing yours.just make sure you use good tools & make sure your on the nut correctly before trying to turn it.
Did you end up taking off the tranny crossmember, or working around it?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by tombothetominator
Did you end up taking off the tranny crossmember, or working around it?
I toyed with the idea,but couldnt get all of the crossmember bolts to budge,so i gave up & had one last go at that line ,& hay presto it cracked.

Quick Reply: new fuel filter,,,,is it possible?!!!!!