Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Exhaust...

I had my exhaust installed today at the Best Little Muffler Shop in Texas (actual name). I decided to pump a little money in my local economy...lol. Though the Dynomax you guys use seems pretty sweet, I decided to go with a Flo Pro muffler. The muffler and install cost me $120. The sound is beautiful. Now I know what you guys mean when you say you turn off the radio just to hear the tone.

Unfortunately, the girl friend acceptance factor wasn't as good to me. :pat: From the moment I turned the ignition, the response was utter disgust. She threatens to "never ride in that again." A little excessive if you ask me.

Anyway, I've read that a few of you bought the Monza Pacesetter tip and it helped with this so called "acceptance factor." Other than the poor craftsmanship (I don't like the yellow anyway), how did it help with sound? Would you recommend it or another product? Any sound clips?

Thanks guys,

BT
Old 08-02-2002, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

I found that my Vortex exhaust mellowed down a little after the first week or so. Maybe I don't "listen" to it as much anymore..

Seriously.. you said Girl friend right? Not wife. She can drive her own car. Haha.. I cannot stand a girl who is like that. I had a girlfriend who didn't like the sound of my turbo on my talon.. she didn't last too long.

Dan
Old 08-03-2002, 12:28 AM

I think most of you guys remember how my wife reacted the first time I picked her up with the Flowmaster...she thought our new Runner had a major engine problem.(I did'nt tell her I just got back from the muffler shop) A few years later, it does'nt bother her. Good luck man. FYI, my rear exit tip, made it louder.
butnut
Old 08-03-2002, 03:34 AM

Seriously.. you said Girl friend right? Not wife. She can drive her own car. Haha.. I cannot stand a girl who is like that. I had a girlfriend who didn't like the sound of my turbo on my talon.. she didn't last too long.
Funny, but she might has well be my wife. We've been together for 5 years. Just waiting till I get my degree. Regardless, has anyone read anything about any other tips than the Monza?

Thanks
BT
_
Old 08-03-2002, 04:38 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Hi Bluetrane, just wanted to mention something.
Toddski has the Flo Pro on his '88 with V6. I have heard it several times, and it sounds very much like my Magnaflow.

It might mellow out after a few days, not sure. But if it is to annoying, maybe that tip the guy's mentioned would be worth looking into.

I wish I did have a sound byte of that muffler with a tip on my exhaust page, but I don't.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/exhaust/exhaust.htm
Old 08-03-2002, 04:39 AM

If YOU like it, stall a little bit. Mufflers and pipes usually mellow out a little as they get deposits in them. She may get used to the sound. If not, a tip is worth a try.

FYI: the Monza has a characteristic I haven't heard about from others who've installed them: they generate a "whooshing" sound under hard acceleration. At first, I didn't like it, but it's starting to sound a little better. Maybe I'm just getting used to it. I had my brother drive it past me under full throttle and it sounded pretty good from the outside.

Any comments from other Monza owners?

On the other issue, go here: http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/hum1/girl_to_wife.htm

Last edited by ckonarske; 08-03-2002 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-03-2002, 04:48 AM

Originally posted by Corey
Hi Bluetrane, just wanted to mention something.
Toddski has the Flo Pro on his '88 with V6. I have heard it several times, and it sounds very much like my Magnaflow.

It might mellow out after a few days, not sure. But if it is to annoying, maybe that tip the guy's mentioned would be worth looking into.

I wish I did have a sound byte of that muffler with a tip on my exhaust page, but I don't.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/exhaust/exhaust.htm
I'm still working on a recorder, Corey. I haven't forgotten, but it may be a while.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:52 PM

you all talk about the GF not liking the muffler, imagine how mine felt when i had to remove a fender to install an aux fuse box. i pulled up to her house, and she just about slapped me. it didn't help any that i took my doors also.

Jacob
Old 08-04-2002, 04:58 PM

Blue Trane, I don't know about the tip and all, but how old are you and your girlfriend? I am just wondering. She will get over it, if not, well...just make her like it! LOL... goodluck dude! :fireman:
Old 08-04-2002, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

um... i guess my only real question is why does it matter what us guys drive? Are they dating or did they marry you just for your vehicle? Just a thought.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:52 PM

I'm 21 and she's 20.

The sound keeps getting better to me and keeps getting worse to her...lol. Basically, I told her that I liked it and I really didn't care if she did or not. She'll just have to deal with it.

I think I will try that Monza tip though.

How did you guys safely remove that cheap paint? Did the metal underneath still look good?
Old 08-04-2002, 09:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Bluetrane,

Check out my pics at http://www.4runners.org/images/monza/monza.htm

The paint is extremely EASY to peel off. In fact, I pulled off one of the stickers off the monza tip and the paint just came off! As far as the inner yellow paint, that is easy to peel off too, but its a pain b/c of all the dimples. might as well try to peel off as much as you can and just spray paint the rest..

Bob
Old 08-05-2002, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by bob_99SR5
Bluetrane,

As far as the inner yellow paint, that is easy to peel off too, but its a pain b/c of all the dimples. might as well try to peel off as much as you can and just spray paint the rest..

Bob
That's what I did.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:56 AM
Contributing Member

BT.
I too have the Flo-Pro on my '88. I really like the sound it produces. Its real close to Corey's.

I guess you could always go to a larger tire to drown out the exhaust noise:eek:
Old 08-05-2002, 04:02 AM

Cool, just wondering man! She'll get used to it! Just give her time! Goodluck and best of luck with the g/f. :fireman: