Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need help diagnosing a possible front wheel problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help diagnosing a possible front wheel problem

i may have a problem in the front end of my '89 4runner, 22re, 4x4 that i need some help diagnosing.

first, the symptoms: when i make a low speed (<20 mph) turn to the right, i hear a rubbing sound that pulsates at the speed of rotation of the wheel. it seems to only come from the left wheel. i hear no sounds when i turn to the left.

my first thought was tire rub, but that didn't really make any sence since i have had the same tires on there for about a year with no problems. i did check, and there is no way that the tire is rubbing.

second thought: tire is out of balance or something like that. so i put on my winter tires for a quick check and the sound was still there. plus, i feel no vibration in the steering wheel or anything. i can drive anywhere between 0 and 80 mph and it runs as smooth as my car, no vibrations anywhere.

so now i'm scared that it's a wheel bearing or something like that (but if it were, would i not feel some vibration in the steering wheel?). the only way i know to diagnose the wheel bearing is to jack up the front and see if there's any play in the wheel. well the left wheel (where i'm hearing the sound) is in there perfect, there's no play at all. but the right wheel moves, but it only moves very little, in fact i can't see it move at all, i can just feel it. i don't know which is the right feel. to me a little play seems to make sence, but i'm not sure. i was hoping that it would be obvious if something was wrong.

there's no play in the steering linkages or anything (that was all replaced 2 years ago anyway).

does anyone have any ideas of things i could check before i take it in and spend $80/hour to have it checked out.

thanks!
Old 10-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mike_d
i may have a problem in the front end of my '89 4runner, 22re, 4x4 that i need some help diagnosing.

first, the symptoms: when i make a low speed (<20 mph) turn to the right, i hear a rubbing sound that pulsates at the speed of rotation of the wheel. it seems to only come from the left wheel. i hear no sounds when i turn to the left.

my first thought was tire rub, but that didn't really make any sence since i have had the same tires on there for about a year with no problems. i did check, and there is no way that the tire is rubbing.

second thought: tire is out of balance or something like that. so i put on my winter tires for a quick check and the sound was still there. plus, i feel no vibration in the steering wheel or anything. i can drive anywhere between 0 and 80 mph and it runs as smooth as my car, no vibrations anywhere.

so now i'm scared that it's a wheel bearing or something like that (but if it were, would i not feel some vibration in the steering wheel?). the only way i know to diagnose the wheel bearing is to jack up the front and see if there's any play in the wheel. well the left wheel (where i'm hearing the sound) is in there perfect, there's no play at all. but the right wheel moves, but it only moves very little, in fact i can't see it move at all, i can just feel it. i don't know which is the right feel. to me a little play seems to make sence, but i'm not sure. i was hoping that it would be obvious if something was wrong.

there's no play in the steering linkages or anything (that was all replaced 2 years ago anyway).

does anyone have any ideas of things i could check before i take it in and spend $80/hour to have it checked out.

thanks!
Only going slow huh, not faster than 20mph? What size tires and wheels do you have? Did you check for a fender liner hanging down or something out of place that may rub? How much wheel turn does it take, ie... almost to lock, half way to lock?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:54 AM

I had a metal to metal sound when I was going slow like that. It ended up being my brake shield rubbing up against the rotor.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Only going slow huh, not faster than 20mph? What size tires and wheels do you have? Did you check for a fender liner hanging down or something out of place that may rub? How much wheel turn does it take, ie... almost to lock, half way to lock?
i have 31x10.50 michelin ltx tires on 15x8 steel wheels. the ltx is a very non-agressive tire, so there are no big lugs or anything like a mud tire or such has.

i can only veryify that the sound is there under 20mph. when i'm going faster, there's too much wind/road noise and i don't notice it. plus the wheel is spinning faster and the pulsating probably isn't noticeable anymore.

i did check for fender liners and such, there's nothing as far as i can tell that would be rubbing.

as far as how far of a wheel turn, i usually only notice it when turning in the city, like when i'm turning into my neighborhood. so it's probably 1/3-1/2 way to lock, just what you need to turn to go around a block or side street.