Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My sloppy runner - need advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My sloppy runner - need advise

I could use some help figuring out a problem I am having with my runner. It has 220,000 kms on it. It is a 1998 Ltd 4x4.

Currently I have replaced steering rack and bushings, lower control arm bushings, camber bolts, installed sonoran steel 1.2 lift, 285/75/16 duratracs, replace all bearings, seals, brakes in the rear, upgraded to tundra brakes in front, wheel alignment, valve cover, timing belt, water pump, all fluids, and maintenance items. I have spent more on parts and repairs than I paid for the vehicle.

When I bought it a year ago (208,000 kms) it was solid. I wheeled it (stock) for 7 months and the steering became sloppy, had bump steer issues, pulled hard while driving, pulled the opposite way while braking. It got to the point where it would jump 4"-6" on the road when I hit a bump. These problems became more serious as time went on.

Right now (after all repairs) when driving on the street it feels pretty good. Drives straight, no pulling, when I hit a bump it stays straight and feels good. Soon as I take it on gravel / dirt and hit bumps, the steering wheel still feels sloppy, shakes, and bounces around a bit on the road. It doesn't feel solid.

There is a very minor leak from front diff (think the seal is cracked) After 2 months I still haven't had to add fluid. Since I put the tires on last week the Tcase has developed a leak. It is leaking quite a bit. It is the front shaft output seal that is leaking. I don't think that can cause my problem. The Tcase leak is getting fixed this week.

I have removed my front sway bar 6 months ago. I have wheeled it and driven on road and there wasn't much difference. Yes a little more "tipsy" feeling and liked the way it felt while wheeling. But it still felt solid.

I haven't wheeled it since the lift was installed (about 2-3 months ago).

What else could be causing the sloppy feeling while off road? Everywhere I read how people feel the Sonoran Steel lift made their vehicle feel more solid, handled bumps better, etc. What does your 4runners feel like after these modifications compared to stock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the novel

Thanks,
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 AM

If you haven't already, replace the steering rack guide.. That helped me out a lot. It's about a 45 minute project and the parts cost about $30, IIRC.
This thread should have all the info you'll need:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...ctures-215931/

My 4Runner feels a little sloppy too. I've done everything you have plus the steer rack guide. Oh well, if I wanted tight handling I would have bought a AWD wagon or something. And I doubt the SS 1.2 made your bump steer worse. I installed a SS 3.0 kit about a year ago and it's helped off road handling tremendously save for feeling a little "tippy".
Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 AM

thanks for the advise. as I didn't install the rack myself I am unsure as to the guide. The rack was a new reman. I will look into this and report back.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by craist
thanks for the advise. as I didn't install the rack myself I am unsure as to the guide. The rack was a new reman. I will look into this and report back.

Thanks!
Oh sorry. I misread your thread and thought you'd only replaced the SR bushings. Actually I was considering replacing my whole rack too. But replacing the guide seemed to help problem enough. I'd read that the re-manufactured racks only had their guides and seals replaced. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:07 PM

So the new rack does have the upgraded guide so that wasn't an issue.

Someone on another forum did have a solution

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...se-needed.html

Turns out the steering shaft was the problem