Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My 4Runner Threw a ROD! *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not so much...

Originally Posted by 4wheel4real
two words that nobody has said yet but i know someone else is thinking BIG BLOCK just thowin it out there
Throwing a 350 or a big block is great for CJ’s and S-10s, but not for nice daily drivers like this. Granted, if this happened to me I would seriously consider an LS400 V8 conversion, that is quite a fun looking and functional setup, but I doubt your wife would be game considering her driving style. Give her yours and take the V8? Doubt that would be all that reasonable either, having 2 vehicle down instead of one would probably make things worse. Such swaps are better planned anyway. Just trying to find the opportunity in the crisis.

Sorry to hear about your loss, I did a double take when I saw the title, and I’m still in disbelief. You know those people who have their cars or houses hit by meteorites? Time to play the lottery maybe? Perhaps you could hit the talk show circuits about strange occurrences? The tree guy, wolf boy, the yellow lobster, and the blown 3.4, all on the next Oprah!

Seriously though, that really sucks. Hope it’s back on the road soon!
Old 06-28-2009, 01:46 AM

my 87 blow up the motor, got a rolled 85 and changing bodies. It a pickup so it's easy..................
Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buhundred
What's wrong with 1996 5VZ's? I've seen a lot of 1996 4runners online and for sale in my area with 200k+ miles.
What above are saying! local, lowcost engine swap from parting runner. My 96 has 257k. all original with exception of headwork before I bought it off CL for 3900 bucks.

109 k your runner is just broken in.

maybe the oil change guy dropped a nut inside. oops

good luck matey and keep us posted.

nice pics too thanks!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:38 AM

"So lets recap what happened today: Farrah Fawcett Died, Michael Jackson died and a 5VZ-FE died.[/quote]"

I hear they are thinkin' about rebuilding Michael with partz from e-bay.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 AM

That'z so krazy!...what a drag, i'm so sorry for ur loss.....glad you decided to keep her.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by sdsurfer
What above are saying! local, lowcost engine swap from parting runner. My 96 has 257k. all original with exception of headwork before I bought it off CL for 3900 bucks.

109 k your runner is just broken in.

maybe the oil change guy dropped a nut inside. oops

good luck matey and keep us posted.

nice pics too thanks!
Mine has 260k+ miles. You'd never know it unless you looked at the odo, runs like a new car. So weird. I saw a guy with an LS400 for sale with a rebuilt motor for sale. Huh? That‘s a new one on me too. Out of morbid curiosity I emailed and asked what happened. A large rock had fallen off of a truck and took out his oil pan. Lucky that’s all it took out. Moral of the story, it wasn’t from design or wearing out.

Makes me think this is something external that may have caused this too, like something dropped in the case like surfer mentioned, except the oil change guy is you based on what you wrote earlier. Could have been in there for years and just got picked up all of the sudden. Maybe that’s why they sold it and they would be amazed you drove it this long. Whatever caused it isn’t normal wear and tear. Maybe a weak casting on the rod? I wonder if the head gasket could have failed catastrophically causing hydro lock? Did it ever overheat?

Don’t know much about these engine’s other than they need a timing belt every 100k and that until now I’ve never heard of one going out. Could it have been a snapped timing belt? Break off a valve, it goes down into the cylinder and then causes something similar to a hydro lock. Again, sorry for the loss.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

rbakeremai, it never over heated and T-belt never broke.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:43 PM

From my experiences concerning engines. That motor expired due to a lubrication issue. I would look at a oil pump. If you open up the motor, let us know what happened.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
rbakeremai, it never over heated and T-belt never broke.
Well I know I’m not alone in wanting know what you find out.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:41 PM
4rx

that cant be happening with 3.4L 5vz-fe! sucks
Old 06-29-2009, 01:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrallan26
From my experiences concerning engines. That motor expired due to a lubrication issue. I would look at a oil pump. If you open up the motor, let us know what happened.
And that's why everyone should put a oil pressure gauge on their yota. Its cheap insurance compared to the price of an engine. And a heck of allot better than the 4 PSI idiot light. The light shouldn't be a picture of a oil can it should be a picture of a dollar sign $
Old 06-29-2009, 05:07 AM

man Rockslide this is unfortunate to say the least...all the forum reg's around here know how well you maintain your vehicles...and for this to happen is very strange. Have you decided on what your going to do? My friend has a 3.4 out of a 1999 LTD 4Runner for sale (130k) he's selling it for 800$ CDN. I wish there was an easy way to get it south.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Jay, I'm looking at a couple engines locally that may work out. I can't wait to find out what happened to my current motor! Thanks for looking out though.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:23 AM

Jay, I'm looking at a couple engines locally that may work out. I can't wait to find out what happened to my current motor! Thanks for looking out though.
Yeah no kidding your going to have to do an autopsy lol. If you can't find one locally, if there was a way to transport this 3.4 my friend has to you...i'd be worth it, it was orginal owner....very well maintained....the guy was a retired veteran...hell I even used the rest of the truck to convert mine to Limited, transfered both diff's & interior and locker. Keep us posted RS

"guess that projector retrofit is further postponed now" lol

Last edited by Jay204; 06-29-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:12 AM

i just threw a rod on my 3VZE on a wheeling trip ... at least i cant complain.. truck had 380,000K RIP

NICE TRUCK!

get another motor...
Old 06-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, so I'm purchasing the the motor for $970, w/ 122K on the OD, this week . I'm also purchasing all the needed maintenance parts that need to be replaced at this time:

Timing Belt
Drive Belts
Water Pump
Rear Main Seal
T-Stat
Plugs & Wires
Tensioner
Oil Filter
And maybe a Full Gasket Kit. If I decide against a full kit, I'll definitely get the main gaskets I need.

I receive a discount on all parts purchased thru my local dealer (one advantage to buying so many toy parts over the years), so that's a plus.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited by Rock Slide; 06-30-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:03 PM

Darn, I just found you a 78K mile 2002 motor complete for 1000.00 asking price here in Sacramento...
Old 06-30-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I missing anything?
Look at the valve covers and see if they are weeping/leaking. Valve cover gaskets tend to be a common and easy to fix thing with the 5VZFE. Also since the engine is out of the vehicle, drop the oil pan and take a look at the pickup screen and make sure its clean and just give the bottom end a quick visual inspect and put a new oil pan gasket on.

Last edited by FogRunner; 06-30-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:27 PM

Ok, so I'm purchasing the the motor for $970, w/ 122K on the OD, this week . I'm also purchasing all the needed maintenance parts that need to be replaced at this time:

Timing Belt
Drive Belts
Water Pump
Rear Main Seal
T-Stat
Plugs & Wires
Tensioner
Oil Filter
And maybe a Full Gasket Kit. If I decide against a full kit, I'll definitely get the main gaskets I need.

I receive a discount on all parts purchased thru my local dealer (one advantage to buying so many toy parts over the years), so that's a plus.

Am I missing anything?
Idler pulleys on the timing belt might be a good idea too.

I would also check out the throttle body while you have super easy access to it, I imagine it would be a little easier to clean it like that.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM

x2 on Idler pulleys

Quick Reply: My 4Runner Threw a ROD! *pics*