Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Murdered-Out Emblems & Hella 500s (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one time a big rat got in our garage and my dad murdered him out with a mop handle
Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 AM

Dude looks like some one shoot all your emblems black!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I like it.

How did you get the emblems off?

I blacked out both my chrome bumpers and front grill with rustoleum, I had to sand them down, but, never sandblast. So far, they've held up fine. I think that rustoleum would have held up better though in your situation, but, I don't know much about the hobby paints your using.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
I like it.

How did you get the emblems off?

I blacked out both my chrome bumpers and front grill with rustoleum, I had to sand them down, but, never sandblast. So far, they've held up fine. I think that rustoleum would have held up better though in your situation, but, I don't know much about the hobby paints your using.

i used dental floss to remove the emblems. then used some stuff called goof off i got at lowes to get off any of the sticky i couldnt get off with my fingernails.

i used the testors model paint suggested in the write up. if it does start to chip or anything i will probably swap to something like rustoleum
Old 07-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
im guessing bling was last year now its murder out ?
Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

One trick to remove the chrome is to soak them in oven cleaner. Takes it right off of plastic.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:34 AM

Although I like how the blacked out emblems look, wouldn't it look better to remove them entirely? I think that's what I will do, including the TRD stickers. Has anyone else removed their emblems?

I saw a picture of a red Tacoma (can't remember who's), with just a small toyota emblem on the tailgate, it looked perfect.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by TexanTaco
Although I like how the blacked out emblems look, wouldn't it look better to remove them entirely? I think that's what I will do, including the TRD stickers. Has anyone else removed their emblems?

I saw a picture of a red Tacoma (can't remember who's), with just a small toyota emblem on the tailgate, it looked perfect.
actually i did just that on the back gate, i took off the 4runner and the limited and just left the toyota symbol in the middle. i did leave the limited logos on the side though because i dont feel the sides were as cluttered as the back gate.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sloan
actually i did just that on the back gate, i took off the 4runner and the limited and just left the toyota symbol in the middle. i did leave the limited logos on the side though because i dont feel the sides were as cluttered as the back gate.
Yeah that makes sense (to keep the Limited emblems), and I'm sure it looks less "busy" in the back. The tailgate of my truck has too many badges. Toyota and many other car companies tend to go a little overboard with the badging on all their cars/trucks. But it's a simple fix.

One potential downside, I could see someone looking to buy my truck and thinking "this probably doesn't have the x, y, or z options, I don't see the stickers". But I'm not gonna sell it, so I guess it doesn't matter!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

i used dental floss to remove the emblems. then used some stuff called goof off i got at lowes to get off any of the sticky i couldnt get off with my fingernails.

i used the testors model paint suggested in the write up. if it does start to chip or anything i will probably swap to something like rustoleum

Did you wax it after using the Goof Off?
That is some serious stuff man - I'm surprised you have any paint left on there!

Fink
Old 07-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
[Mr Macky]Murder's Bad M'kay?

You shouldn't Murder, M'kay? If you Murder, you'll go to jail, M'kay?

So don't murder, M'kay?

[/Mr Macky]

Gotta black out the bumpers too. Might I suggest full scale replacement with some steel.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 AM

I'm not sure if Goof Off can damage paint or the clearcoat, but I've always had success with any kind of bug & tar remover. In fact, most of the time I've never had to use anything. Just make sure it's warm outside, and the emblems are easy to remove, so is the sticky stuff underneath them.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TexanTaco
I'm not sure if Goof Off can damage paint or the clearcoat, but I've always had success with any kind of bug & tar remover. In fact, most of the time I've never had to use anything. Just make sure it's warm outside, and the emblems are easy to remove, so is the sticky stuff underneath them.
All I know is Goof Off took the paint and clear coat off some lawn furniture I had...it would scare me to put it on my paint.

I don't know for a fact that it would hurt the paint but that stuff just seems pretty hardcore.

Fink
Old 07-22-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
All I know is Goof Off took the paint and clear coat off some lawn furniture I had...it would scare me to put it on my paint.

I don't know for a fact that it would hurt the paint but that stuff just seems pretty hardcore.

Fink
Yeah I wouldn't use it on my truck paint either, and besides, there are tons of products out there meant to be used on car paint. Why risk it?

IMO, good ol fashioned elbow grease is the best way to go.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ARB1977
Looks better shaved.
I agree for car or cat.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 PM

i was careful with the stuff and made sure to only apply it to the adhesive area, then used a dry rag to make sure nothing was left. i would go out now and wash it but out of nowhere a storm just hit so i guess i'll let the rain have some fun with it before i get around to washing it. i guess i can see how the remaining emblems hold up with its first taste of rain.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:32 PM

aircraft paint remover works good too!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:03 PM

i was careful with the stuff and made sure to only apply it to the adhesive area, then used a dry rag to make sure nothing was left. i would go out now and wash it but out of nowhere a storm just hit so i guess i'll let the rain have some fun with it before i get around to washing it. i guess i can see how the remaining emblems hold up with its first taste of rain.
I'm sure you'll be fine, don't sweat it. Like Fink said, just hit it with some wax when you get a chance.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Automotive clearcoat is a catalyzed epoxy. GoofOff, gasoline, brake cleaner fluid, turpentine, white spirits, and most other stuff around the house won't do a thing to it.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
Automotive clearcoat is a catalyzed epoxy. GoofOff, gasoline, brake cleaner fluid, turpentine, white spirits, and most other stuff around the house won't do a thing to it.
That's interesting. The sun and acidic rain probably do the most damage.

Quick Reply: Murdered-Out Emblems & Hella 500s (Pics)