Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Moving spare tire to roof...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not jumping in on the pissing contest, but about the tire comming through the roof... He said he has a basket ie load worrior. Wouldn't that be "comming through the roof" whether there was a tire there or not? Just a thought...

About the yak lock down. If you don't want to spend the extra $$, just get some good tie down straps and if your scared about your insurance a chain. If your scared about someone stealing it, get the yak adapter. And if your just completely turned off to the idea about mounting your tire to the roof by this thread, just get some lights and mount them up there, that will take care of your boring basket delima!

just my .02

PS, here is my take on the tire in the rack thing.

Last edited by turboale; 01-02-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, one person's stain the seat off roading is another persons walk in the park, it's all relative. Having said that, I KNOW I've never come close to rolling, but it sure felt like it. However, knowing that I someday could be in that situation, I want my CG as low as possible. Many people in my club who are much more experienced than most people on this board also subscribe to the same belief. This is also why All Pro's "Tiny" is so successful in the comps.

As far as everyday driving I believe in the same thing. You never know when your tire is going to blow out on the freeway (and this is why I have swaybar QDs rather than no swaybar).

Regardless, to answer the question I personally don't like the strap look, it looks cheezy to me (no offense to anybody who uses straps). I'd rather go for the clean look of the rigid bolt on mechanism.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 01-02-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyway go out and do some "real wheeling" before you "try" to -- make fun-- of someone that's actually worried about a roll-over.
I'm not jumping in on the pissing contest,
lcopelan22 and Austin,

Guys, there's no pissing contest going on here. lcopelan, please keep it friendly. I understand exactly what BBB and others have said thus far. Everyone has had good comments thus far and hopefully Story has benefitted from it.

The point i was trying to make here was that:

a) his basket is on or very close to the proximity of his head
b) the added mass on top of the basket (tire/wheel) would probably cause more structural failure and thus, "ruin his day". Not that the roof rack/basket itself wouldn't be pleasant, but if you had your choice, would *you* want a roof rack and basket AND a tire on top of your head in a roll over? I certainly wouldnt. And again, its up to Story but I wanted to comment just in case he was not considering this.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 01-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by turboale
I'm not jumping in on the pissing contest, but about the tire comming through the roof... He said he has a basket ie load worrior. Wouldn't that be "comming through the roof" whether there was a tire there or not? Just a thought...
My speculation here would be that the bare roof rack would tend to flatten out with the weight of the truck on it, thus caving in the roof an additional 2-3 inches. With the 10-12in wide tire on there it could conceivably cave in the roof an additional 10-12 inches. All speculation though.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by turboale

PS, here is my take on the tire in the rack thing.

Hell yeah, looks good Turbo!
Old 01-03-2004, 02:49 AM

Re: Re: Gravity schmavity!

Originally posted by lcopelan22
I have right at 10'' of suspension lift and know that you must be out at the local schoolyard with that runner if you haven't been close to rolling it, I rolled mine way back when I had a 3" body lift at about 2 mph. Anyway go out and do some "real wheeling" before you "try" to -- make fun-- of someone that's actually worried about a roll-over.
Well you got me, your right I dont offroad any further than the school yard. Darn. Oh yeah no pissin contest here. I dont need to prove I can piss farther than you can just hope I dont piss on you.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:45 AM
Contributing Member

yeah ... cool .... fight fight fight

quick before the Moderators wake up

Old 01-03-2004, 02:08 PM

Question Fight?

Originally posted by sdastg1
yeah ... cool .... fight fight fight

quick before the Moderators wake up

I dont know......... He looks like more of a lover than a fighter to me. And I wont hit a guy with glasses . But have a nice day!
Old 01-03-2004, 02:35 PM

Toy rolls over last night

Ok this is wierd enough. Were talking about 4runners rolling over and while on my way to my other job last night I come up on cop cars with their emergency lights flashing. I drop down this S curve and holy shhhhht a Toy is sitting on its driver side. As I pass I see a roll bar on this white Toyota 4x4 ext cab p/u and imediatly think its my buddies rig. I wipped a bich and went back but it wasnt his. But how crazy is that. Were talking about rollovers and then bam theres one. Crazy.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:34 PM

Wow...what a thread...thanks for all the info guys...I honestly don't know what I am going to do now...

Old 01-04-2004, 03:04 AM

Story,

IMO I think a spare tire would look goofy over the cab of any rig. Its a safety issue with your rig though as Bob pointed out. I over looked where on the top you wanted to mount it. 1st gens and roof racks are a toughy IMO. I mean you have a roof that comes off and mounting something like a roof rack to that removable section is iffy. I personally would not have mounted a rack overhead on the cab but thats just me. Why not fab something up like a rear tire mount on the tail gate? Just my 0.02 cents worth there. See yuh, Ben