Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Misfire, buts its Not what you think...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akaphilly
how did you unclogg it? i think nows the time to send them out for a professional cleaning. just send that 1 out if your broke
There were little pieces of "Leaves" on the side holes. I also sprayed the Throttle Body cleaner in the hole and the spray was then normal.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:33 PM

I had an injector going bad intermittently on my '97 and didn't want to pay the $180 for a new one at the dealership and didn't want to use a cheap aftermarket injector, so I got a used one from the salvage yard for $35. Worked great, and I don't have an aftermarket injector in my truck.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Hi folks, I don't know if this will make any sense. But I need your input. This is whats been happening to my runner:

1. After driving for two days post cleanup, I got P0446 (Evap Canistor VSV). I got this once before for a short period, and this time also only lasted for 20 miles. Can that cause improper fuel delivery and cause a misfire?

2. After replacing O-Rings on the injectors, I swapped the suspected one on the other side for easy access in future. Then cranked the engine to make sure there was no leakage from the injectors. Doing that, I saw a BLAST coming out once from Cylinder #5. Now, I think coil to Cylinder #5 is where the wire to Cylinder #2 connects to. Is the VALVE SEAL gone on C5? and maybe thats why i kept getting the error code P0302 for C#2 misfire. Can that happen?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-18-2010, 04:50 PM

Here's the pic:

Last edited by SAMS984Runner; 04-18-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:10 PM

Ok so I have a 2000 misfire codes on cylinders 2,4,6...Now here is my problems!!! I have replaced, injectors, spark plugs/wires/coil packs, mass sensor, both oxygen sensors, fuel filter, air intake(air raid my old one was cracking at the rubber facing intake) and it still is running rough. PLEASE tell me what the #$%& my problem could be...Oh and Yes I have checked and no cracked vaccuum lines.....HELP Please fellow Yota peeps!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:25 PM

Arrow Ouch...

Dude, i think you've done enough ... lol

I think its the valve seal problem. You said that you don't have a cracked vacuum pipe, did you do a vacuum test for you intake?

I did vacuum test on Sunday and with the misfire, the pressured DROPPED 1 in Hg. (normal: = 19in Hg, miss: = 18in Hg). So i'm pretty sure its a valve seal leak. I will do the compression test as well.

Will post the results.

Good Luck
Old 04-20-2010, 02:44 PM

This is where you can check the vacuum in the air intake.

You would need a Vacuum Testing Gauge.

Normal conditions (at engine's running temperature): 18-20in Hg
Old 04-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yotarunner00
Ok so I have a 2000 misfire codes on cylinders 2,4,6...Now here is my problems!!! I have replaced, injectors, spark plugs/wires/coil packs, mass sensor, both oxygen sensors, fuel filter, air intake(air raid my old one was cracking at the rubber facing intake) and it still is running rough. PLEASE tell me what the #$%& my problem could be...Oh and Yes I have checked and no cracked vaccuum lines.....HELP Please fellow Yota peeps!
I would do a compression and a leak-down test to determine if it's a head gasket leaking. Or it could be that you need a valve job too. Sounds like you have thrown a lot of parts and $$ at it, but haven't done much testing. Replacing parts until you find the problem is almost always the most expensive way to fix a car. I would say it's probably time to take it to a professional and have some diagnostic work done.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 AM

I have nothing to test with...Buddy at work has been saying he would bring in his pressure tester but hasn't yet. I've spent some $ but I have 205K miles on my 2000 beast. So I'm redoing my tank basically. I have another vehicle to drive so I'm not in a huge rush but fishing weather is here and it's changing my mind about how long it stays on the back burner. I thought the valve thing myself personally, I just didn't want to have to take it in to some one. What can you do tho...
Old 04-23-2010, 12:10 PM

You know tho...to kind of tell my story, the kicker... I've had the truck for 7+yrs, it wasn't running horrible...it was slightly bogging go up steep highway hills. I thought 200k miles, it could use new coil packs prob. So replacing the coil packs, spark plugs and plug wires made it 100x worse...
Old 04-23-2010, 12:27 PM

You know tho...to kind of tell my story, the kicker... I've had the truck for 7+yrs, it wasn't running horrible...it was slightly bogging go up steep highway hills. I thought 200k miles, it could use new coil packs prob. So replacing the coil packs, spark plugs and plug wires made it 100x worse...
Well that shouldn't happen. I would suggest making sure that the plugs, coils and all the wires are seated properly. If you didn't use dielectric grease, I'd recommend it - it may be arching inside the wire boots.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Yeah done that...I can unplug say # 3 and the engine boggs even more, almost dies...I can undo the other 2 on the driver side and no difference at all. I can unplug them both, put a old spark plug in the boot, start the truck and it fires like no other, even thru casings, like the accelerator cable?!?! So I am getting really good fire which confused me....
Old 04-27-2010, 07:09 PM

Ok guys. Heres the deal. Today i did the Compression test and guess what !!! my cylinder # 6 is the real culprit I got excited that my Cylinder #5 was ok, but then Cylinder #6 killed my moment of hope... here are the readings

Cylinder ~ Reading
Dry:
1 ~ 160
2 ~ 158
3 ~ 155
4 ~ 160
5 ~ 162
6 ~ 145 *** Problem ? ***

Wet:
6 ~ 165

So, I'm guessing its the piston ring

What should I do? suggestions? I really don't wan't to get rid of my runner :'(

Here's a pic of Cylinder #1

Last edited by SAMS984Runner; 04-27-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:27 AM

Jeese you are worrying me big time too...I DO NOT want a piston problem, nor get rid of my Tank. So how do you know if it's piston rings or valves?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:39 AM

Exclamation

Jeese you are worrying me big time too...I DO NOT want a piston problem, nor get rid of my Tank. So how do you know if it's piston rings or valves?
That's what I wanna know too.

and i think the only way is to open the headgasket and find out.

As you can see that the Wet test cameout normal (~165) So i'm guessing the piston ring is fine, its the valve seal thats bad (and thats why it sprayed fire to the intake manifold last time). DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COULD IT BE?

Any help will be great Thnx.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 AM

At this point, I don't really think it matters all that much whether it's rings or valves. Because personally, if it's valves, I would rather do a full engine rebuild over just a valve job because it's not really much more $$. And if it's a ring(s), you don't rebuild just one piston/cylinder, you rebuild the whole thing. If you still want to know for sure, a leak down test may help point out the cause.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
At this point, I don't really think it matters all that much whether it's rings or valves. Because personally, if it's valves, I would rather do a full engine rebuild over just a valve job because it's not really much more $$. And if it's a ring(s), you don't rebuild just one piston/cylinder, you rebuild the whole thing. If you still want to know for sure, a leak down test may help point out the cause.
Yea. I started looking at Rebuild kits but not going to go through it. I will but the kit and will have my mechanic do it all for me

I hope to drive this baby for 400,000 miles or till it explodes
Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 PM

You probably have water in the tank, we had a car come in with this same problem (I am a tech for a hyundai dealership). I pulled the fuel pump out and took a sample of the fuel in a bottle and you could tell there was something wrong. After It set for a while the nasty water sank to the bottom of the bottle, and she had got gas at a shell station.

Run this tank down to empty and fill up at another station....I bet it will fix your problem.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
You probably have water in the tank, we had a car come in with this same problem (I am a tech for a hyundai dealership). I pulled the fuel pump out and took a sample of the fuel in a bottle and you could tell there was something wrong. After It set for a while the nasty water sank to the bottom of the bottle, and she had got gas at a shell station.

Run this tank down to empty and fill up at another station....I bet it will fix your problem.
OMG! if you read the first post of this thread, you'll see that i also started having this problem right after i filled at a Shell :O

I've had had emptied and refilled many times then. But i'll try to run it all the way down this time, see if it helps.

Thnx. Will update (Y)
Old 04-28-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd

I hope it is just that, wouldn't that be sweet!

Quick Reply: Misfire, buts its Not what you think...