Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mequiar's Wax...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mequiar's Wax...

Alright, well I went out and got meself a bottle of wax and I was wondering if it is a good wax or not. It is the Mequiar's Cleaner Wax. Has anyone ever used this and it is good? I want something that will make me rig shine and shimmer but provide protection from the elements and bead water for awhile. Will this do and it is a good wax and protector? Thanks!!! :fireman:
Old 06-27-2002, 05:14 AM

Phil, yeah, I was hoping someone had used this wax before and how they liked it. I think I am going to stick with see what happens. I wanted something other than the cheap stuff that I had been using and I think that this will work. I was just wondering if anyone used this specific wax and how they liked it or if I should go get another kind of Meguier's wax instead. Thanks and any other info will be of great use! :fireman:
Old 06-27-2002, 05:46 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Hi Ryan, the Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax is very good.
I have used it and Zymol with the Porter Cable buffer before I found out about Griot's Best Of Show wax.

The only thing is with both the Meguiar's C/W or the Zymol is they don't last.
I only wax my rig about 3 times a year, and the Meguiar's and Zymol were not beading water or shining as much as I thought they should be.

Then I found out about the Griot's. It lasts, almost one year on my rig :eek:
I had last waxed my rig in July of last year, and again in May of this year.
It was still beading water like crazy and the shine factor was still very high.

Mr. Griot's says to wax every 3 months or so. My rig is living proof his wax lasts longer than they claim, and my rig is outside 24/7, and under a nasty pitch drippin' bitch of a tree mind you

The Best Of Show wax works better though if you have a Porter Cable setup. If you don't plan on getting one for awhile, I would use the Zymol or the Meguiar's C/W wax every few months, and it will work out for you.
However, I'd still clay your rig each time before you wax to get off the airborne pollutants that make your paint rough.
You don't need the PC setup for that either, but that is how I clay mine.
You can get a hand holder from Griot's.

That will work just as good as the one I use with my buffer.

And if you get the clay, don't skimp, spend a little more and get the Griot's clay & Speed Shine combo pack.

Griot's clay bar is huge. Todd brought over the Meguiar's clay bar he picked up when we waxed his rig a few months ago. Needless to say, we looked at the size of it and tossed it and ended up using my Griot's bar as it's easier to work with.

Hope this helps, and if you have any more ?'s, take a look at my detail section and see if anything in there can help you.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:35 AM

Yeah, I do have a similar set up with the Porter Cable buffer. It is the Turtle Wax orbital buffer. I am going to use that when I apply the wax. So we'll have to see what happens. I am going to just apply wax and see how I like the finish, and if it is less than satisfactory, I will look into claying the thing. Otherwise, I will see what happens. Thanks for the tips and I will let you know what I think! :fireman:
Old 06-27-2002, 11:45 AM

I used the Meguiar's cleaner wax on my old truck. It is fine for one step product. But I would never use it again. I don't know if it was the cleaner wax, old age, or too many washings, but the forest green paint developed spiderwebs as the clearcoat starter to wear. After 9 years the '92 paint was starting to show its age. Another question is the color of your truck, darker colors need much more attention ( that statement falls in the duh category, but still needed to be said ). That's why both my current vehicles are silver. I too am on the Corey Buffer/Griots bandwagon That stuff just works ( better for the money :eek: )

EDIT - IT WAS MOTHERS WAX AND NOT MEGUIARS

Last edited by Hermes; 06-27-2002 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Meguiar's is what I use.

Old 06-27-2002, 01:30 PM

Jason, I don't see the Cleaner wax on the picture. Do you use that stuff or something else. I read Hermes' reply and it kinda makes me nervous now about using it! I don't know if I want to keep that and try it or get the Griot's Garage Stuff! Any info you can give would be great. Thanks! :fireman:
Old 06-27-2002, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BTOWN4RUNNER
Jason, I don't see the Cleaner wax on the picture. Do you use that stuff or something else. I read Hermes' reply and it kinda makes me nervous now about using it! I don't know if I want to keep that and try it or get the Griot's Garage Stuff! Any info you can give would be great. Thanks! :fireman:
That's what I use and it lasts pretty darn long. The cleaner/wax is very durable I've found. I somtimes follow up with the gold glass on the hood.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:44 PM

Jason, you don't notice any of the problems that Hermes talks about? It is the cleaner wax in the maroon bottle...right? Also, do you use the Quik Clay first? Thanks! :fireman:
Old 06-27-2002, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

No problems at all. I've been using it for many years on all my vehicles every since consumer reports gave it a #1 rating - a long time ago. It's the maroon bottle.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:54 PM

Cool dude. Do you use the clay first, or just put that on by itself? Thanks! :fireman:
Old 06-27-2002, 01:55 PM

Jason, are you a Meguiars rep after hours or what? All those products probably cleaned your car from your tailgate :confused:
Old 06-27-2002, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks!

Nerf,

I had a friend in the business that worked for meguiar's. He no longer works there though. Maybe he gave away too much product?

:pat:
Old 06-27-2002, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by Jason B
Thanks!

Nerf,

I had a friend in the business that worked for meguiar's. He no longer works there though. Maybe he gave away too much product?

:pat:
Boy, I wish that he would have given some away this way! That would have been great! Then I wouldn't have to buy it! LOL...anyways, I will do my whole wash, wax, polish, armor-all, vacuum, bug and tar remove, back to black, windex thing on Sunday and let you know what I think of this Meguiars! Thanks for the help everyone! :fireman:
Old 06-27-2002, 05:54 PM

BTOWNRUNNER - When you guys said the cleaner was in the bottle I thought that was weird. Then I remembered it was MOTHERS and the cleaner/wax was in a can - it wasn't the Meguiars stuff. I'm sorry to scar you

I still prefer the clay step first then wax and not a combo product. I think I was burned by the Mothers stuff.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:59 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Ryan, if you can, clay first. It makes a big difference.
The paint is smooth as glass afterwards, and the wax goes on much easier.
Corey
Old 06-27-2002, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

You guys got it easy, I gotta wax my truck every month, and sometimes even sooner, I don't know what it is, the sun, the weather, I do know that it's because I live on the island, but I love it here to I wouldn't want to move.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:39 AM

Hermes...cool! You did scare me, but I appreciate the feeback telling me everything will be ok. Thanks.

Sleepy-I would put up with that and a whole lotta other ˟˟˟˟˟ just to live on Hawaii. I wish I were you, believe me. But hey, if you do it every month, it is nice and shiny!

Corey-yeah, I think you talked me into it! I have to go out and get this clay thingger. Is it a paste or is it actually like a bar kinda thing! I mean, do you put it on just like wax or what? Thanks for the help though!

:fireman:
Old 06-29-2002, 09:59 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Ryan, just read my detail page under the Porter Cable section. It will explain how to clay.
Just forget about the part where it mentions using the buffer clay bar holder.
It would be a good idea though to pick up the hand clay bar holder as I mentioned in a previous post.

The clay bar is an actual bar, but you can mold it. It's more thicker than silly putty.
There are a lot of clay bars on the market, not all are the same.
I was reading on a wax forum I think that was linked from Phil's detail post, or another site I was on, and some streak your paint they were saying.

The best out there are the Griot's one, the Meguiar's, and Mother's, with the Griot's one being the biggest chunk of clay.
I have never had any problems with mine.

Below are a few pics of the Griot's bar. The one on the left is dirty after doing Todd's rig as he had a lot of pollutants on his paint.
That is why you should clay before every wax job. It gets off the crap you can't see.

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/temp2/claybar1.jpg

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/temp2/claybar2.jpg

Corey
Old 06-29-2002, 02:08 PM

Well, I went to Pep Boys, and Walmart and I could not find a single clay bar! What the heck! I guess I will just have to get it as clean as possible before I apply the wax. I will have to see what happens and I will let ya'll know what the results are! Thanks again! :fireman:

Quick Reply: Mequiar's Wax...