Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Major Help! 99 4runner. Rod through the block

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Help! 99 4runner. Rod through the block

Well, I had the unfortunate event of my block cracking due to a rod. Normal driving and no warning then POW, game over. The engine only had 90K on it and I babied the heck out of it. I read several places online that Toyota changed the engine mid year 99. Most believed it was due to that problem. I always ran synthetic oil and changed every 5k miles.

So my question is where is the best place to find another engine? My truck seriously looks like it is 3 yrs old so I don't want to scrap it. I had some mechanics look around here and the cheapest was about 2500 with 2000 labor. More expensive if I just went with the short block. Also, they said the only engine that would go would be the same one, so would I run into that issue again if the engine had the same date stamp? Love my truck and don't want to give up but don't have 5k to drop right now. PLease let me know any advice. Thanks Chris
Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 PM

If you find a place that sells 3.4's around you..please let us know because Im in Miami and i havent found anyplace that seems trustworthy. I would say try a rebuild yourself but it seems that you want it back on the road ASAP. Im pretty sure that you can make almost any engine fit in there but im sure they ment without any other modifications. Im sorry i cant be of more help but im also working on rebuilding my 3.0 with no prior experience.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paying a decent mechanic to do an engine swap isn't cheap by any means. And even then good luck on getting a warranty.

If your mechanically inclined or have a good friend who is the best bet is to find a wrecked 4runner or Tacoma at a junkyard and pull the engine and install it yourselves. Most good justyards will give a warranty and even offer extended warranties.

Greanleaf is really good to deal with for Toyota engins and transmissions.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Another one!? Sorry to hear that. Read through Rock Slide's thread. He had the same thing happen a short time ago, should help give you some options... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/m...d-pics-185253/
Old 09-18-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FogRunner
Paying a decent mechanic to do an engine swap isn't cheap by any means. And even then good luck on getting a warranty.

If your mechanically inclined or have a good friend who is the best bet is to find a wrecked 4runner or Tacoma at a junkyard and pull the engine and install it yourselves. Most good justyards will give a warranty and even offer extended warranties.

Greanleaf is really good to deal with for Toyota engins and transmissions.
2X find a engine at a bone yard and have at it...
Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 PM

I would go with a diesel swap. When I bought my 4runner about a 1 1/2 ago I found a few that had been converted. Gas mileage is much better and think about the torque.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:38 PM

jasper

i'm a service writer at a dodge dealership here in utah and when i have vehicles that come to me that need an engine i always always recommend a Jasper unit. they have a 3year/100k mile warranty. its worth taking a look at..
http://www.jasperengines.com/index.php good luck
Old 09-18-2009, 09:01 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
here is one in ft lauderdale for $600

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/pts/1357881762.html

if that doesnt work just swap in a toyota 1gz-fe
Old 09-19-2009, 12:24 AM

there is a place in like wisconsin or michigan that quoted me like 1750 shipped to my door w/3year warranty or there is a place in Atlanta,Ga. that I got my engine for 1060 but I was in atl and it only came with a 6 mo. warranty I went this route because I was in a bind with money. I really wanted to spend the 1750 and get the 3 year warranty but such is life if you would like I will get the # to the place in Ga and post it tomorrow. the place up north was a wrecking quoting on a 93,000mi engine and it was toy specific. I found it through one of those sites that searches wrecking yard sites by sending them an e-mail and they send you a quote.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your engine failure. Total bummer. enginesus has 1633 sales on ebay with a 100% positive feedback rating. Their prices are competitive and they seem like a reputable seller. I didn't see a 5VZFE on their listings currently, but you may want to contact this eBay user and see if they can help or find you something.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:28 PM

thanks for all the help in the matter. i have been looking for engines as well on ebay. saw some for 1600-1700 but don't remember what kind of warranty was associated with it. these 3.4L's are hard to find. I will check on some of the websites that you guys posted. thanks again, and if you think of something else please shoot a post. cheers
Old 09-19-2009, 04:30 PM

hey eddie, yeah i would like to get that number and give them a call. sounds like a decent deal. thanks again, chris

Originally Posted by eddieleephd
there is a place in like wisconsin or michigan that quoted me like 1750 shipped to my door w/3year warranty or there is a place in Atlanta,Ga. that I got my engine for 1060 but I was in atl and it only came with a 6 mo. warranty I went this route because I was in a bind with money. I really wanted to spend the 1750 and get the 3 year warranty but such is life if you would like I will get the # to the place in Ga and post it tomorrow. the place up north was a wrecking quoting on a 93,000mi engine and it was toy specific. I found it through one of those sites that searches wrecking yard sites by sending them an e-mail and they send you a quote.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:46 PM

I wonder if us who have aging runners with low miles are checking the screen (if there is on) on the oil pump. Or for that matter, checking the crank bearings.

99k is early to throw a rod.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of 5VZFE's produced, these really do seem like "lighting strike" incidents. You just don't hear about this often (perhaps on a "small" forum like this, but globally not so much). And many of us have up'd the power significantly and drive them fairly hard with no issues...so who knows?

A while back I purchased a "donor rig" with 197K miles on it. 100K of which were supercharged (pulling a trailer most of the time). That thing ran like a top after I removed the SC'r and put it back to stock. It pulled hard at WOT.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:19 PM

after alot of research definitely more 99's than anything though. it almost makes me wonder if i wasn't driving it hard enough? I only put 90k on it in 10 yrs. maybe i should have drove the hell out of it and everything might have been OK. very upsetting though, still doesn't seem right....
Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 AM

sorry to hear of what has happened pinkysoup, like you I run synthetic almost religiously....I have to think there are recent part outs in your area or somewhat nearby? again- would need a competent shop to perform this kind of work

Parker could you be more specific regarding this oil screen or crank bearings? I just turned 92K on my 99 and hoping to go double or x3 that before engine issues.

Can things be checked externally without opening up an engine? what are we looking for exactly or tell our mechanics to be aware of?

I'd certainly want to know why it happened-does a rod just work itself loose if not properly built/tightened to specs? I am engine clueless sorry....
Old 09-21-2009, 12:42 AM

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate event.

But I'm really curious to find out exactly what caused this to happen...
Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 AM

This guy's AND Rock Slide's were both 2WD. Coincidence? I wouldn't think a 3.4L would differ at all wheter it was in a 2wd vs 4wd. But just though it was interesting.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 AM

http://engineline.com/
here is the web site sorry it took so long went out of town for family emergency/.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:57 PM

The 3.4s are not too expensive since they rarely break. Usually around $500-650.

Mine has 270K on it with not nearly as many oil changes & maint as it should have.

Quick Reply: Major Help! 99 4runner. Rod through the block