Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought Antera 301 silver finished wheels...great looking and expensive! I sent an email to the company I bought them from inquiring about the potential for a fitment problem. Let's see what they have to say.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Zubaltec
Lowering. Just waiting on tires. 255/55/18 Michelin Pilot LTX. My 285/60/18 Scorpion's already rub alittle when turning alot.
If you have a 2WD (I think you refered to 2 wheel style) than those springs won't work/lower. They were meant for 4WD which sit about an inch taller than 2WD stock springs. I called them about it...there is a lot of stuff in their catalogs that won't work based on year or model...they never put it in. :pat:
Old 04-11-2003, 04:16 AM

I'm interested to know if Zubaltec has a 2WD or 4WD 4Runner as well, particularly with his "rubbing" issue he noted on the tires.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:55 AM

Yeah mines 2wd. Well if they don't work I'll have to figure out something to do. I think they rub because of how wide they are but, also because they are 31.5" it doesn't help.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:08 AM

Thanks Zubaltec and good luck w/ your upgrades.

I received a response from the company where I bought the 295" tires/20" wheels confirming that these will fit my 4WD without rubbing. Sure hope they are right!

TRDTOY
Old 04-11-2003, 10:11 AM

No problem. Well now you guys got me thinking. Ok so are the stock 4cyl. 2WD front springs the same as the stock V6 2WD front springs? I could use those if they are any different. Or I can sell these. I just bought them off another member for $200 (I sent a call tag for the shipping). So if I can't find a spring to lower the front the PP will be For Sale.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:18 PM

TRDTOY, dont forget to post pics on here.

OR

you can go to cardomain.com and showcase your 4runner there. theres more open minded people there that dont care if you lower your 4runner, unlike this place, where people start hatin' if you lower an SUV.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by victoriousvic
theres more open minded people there that dont care if you lower your 4runner, unlike this place, where people start hatin' if you lower an SUV.
A little harsh don't you think? I, for one, don't care if he lowers his Runner. I say to each his own. Besides, last time I checked, lowering a Toyota doesn't turn it into a Ford...
Old 04-11-2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Cebby
A little harsh don't you think? I, for one, don't care if he lowers his Runner. I say to each his own. Besides, last time I checked, lowering a Toyota doesn't turn it into a Ford...
ya probably. but those other people on this forum (not you) are always hatin' on other people's 4runners who lower them, or get 20" rims, clear corner lights, etc. there's other topics on this forum (check the one about ridiculous 4runners, and others) where people talk smack about lowering 4runners. and thats not cool. in japan where the 4runner (or Hilux Surf) came from, theres lots of lowered 4runners.

http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/r_hosokawa/page3-3.htm

a little wild but its all good.

i like to see different ways people can fix up their rides. so i dont care if it's lifted or lowered.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by victoriousvic
ya probably. but those other people on this forum (not you) are always hatin' on other people's 4runners who lower them, or get 20" rims, clear corner lights, etc. there's other topics on this forum (check the one about ridiculous 4runners, and others) where people talk smack about lowering 4runners. and thats not cool. in japan where the 4runner (or Hilux Surf) came from, theres lots of lowered 4runners.

http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/r_hosokawa/page3-3.htm

a little wild but its all good.

i like to see different ways people can fix up their rides. so i dont care if it's lifted or lowered.
Thats the reason I dont post as much as I did at ODW, I agree with you 100%. For the guy trying to lower his 4Runner, why dont you try cutting the springs
Old 04-11-2003, 06:05 PM
DuB

ODW was WORSE than this! But when people migrated here from there, some of the mentality followed. You just gotta learn to ignore it. They obviously bought their 4Runner for different reasons than you, so if they choose to express their opinions, then let them. If they try to force their beliefs and opinions on you, then you can fight back

That said, my 4Runner will never be an off-roader, evident by my choice in getting a 2wd. I didn't feel that my trips during the winter to go snowboarding absolutely needed the additional $3000 option of 4wd, plus the added expense of maintaining the transfer case and whatnot. Even if I did get 4WD, being a college student, I don't have much time to drive out to mountains from OC to wheel. Plus, the additional noise from bigger tires, added instability from a lift, and added cost of all of these parts, plus lower gas mileage, just wouldn't be worth it to me.

I liked the styling of the 4Runner, and the interior space, and I DIDN'T want to buy a rice rocket. The main reason I chose a 4Runner was because of Toyota's reliability, and the 4Runner's practicallity. Isn't that why most of you bought your trucks?

Maybe when I'm older and have more money to play with, I'll get a trail rig, but for now, I'm just going to work on making my truck more enjoyable to drive on the road
Old 04-12-2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by DuB
ODW was WORSE than this! But when people migrated here from there, some of the mentality followed. You just gotta learn to ignore it. They obviously bought their 4Runner for different reasons than you, so if they choose to express their opinions, then let them. If they try to force their beliefs and opinions on you, then you can fight back

That said, my 4Runner will never be an off-roader, evident by my choice in getting a 2wd. I didn't feel that my trips during the winter to go snowboarding absolutely needed the additional $3000 option of 4wd, plus the added expense of maintaining the transfer case and whatnot. Even if I did get 4WD, being a college student, I don't have much time to drive out to mountains from OC to wheel. Plus, the additional noise from bigger tires, added instability from a lift, and added cost of all of these parts, plus lower gas mileage, just wouldn't be worth it to me.

I liked the styling of the 4Runner, and the interior space, and I DIDN'T want to buy a rice rocket. The main reason I chose a 4Runner was because of Toyota's reliability, and the 4Runner's practicallity. Isn't that why most of you bought your trucks?

Maybe when I'm older and have more money to play with, I'll get a trail rig, but for now, I'm just going to work on making my truck more enjoyable to drive on the road
finally! somebody who understands! that's the same reason why i bought my 4runner. i love 4runners, and i didnt want to buy a rice rocket either.

anyways, TRDTOY....show us your pics when you've fixed up your ride.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:18 PM

any word on Gadget's Performance Lowering Kit?
Old 04-14-2003, 01:27 PM

Yeah any new info would be great.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:52 PM

No news on the lowering kit. I do know that it is in the works and WILL be expensive.

Speaking of Gadget, he says that he removed his TRD catback exhaust because it was rubbing on the Addco anti-sway bars. Has anyone experienced or heard of this?
Old 04-22-2003, 04:25 AM

I have. It's been a royal pain in the a$$?

See thread -
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=9150
Old 04-22-2003, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by Todd E
To offset the increased tire width, you can get wheels that have a smaller (number) backspacing which moves the lug holes closer to the center of the wheel (Makes the wheel stick out farther).

To offset the increased tire width you'd want wheels with more backspacing (which equals more positive offset) which moves the lug holes closer to the center (or even past the center, i.e. "+" offset) of the wheel making the wheel sit inside the fender farther, not stick out.

I think you'll be okay running a 295/20 combo as long as the wheel doesn't have -45mm offset (which it won't, wheel manufactures are smart enough to make them so they'll fit).
Old 06-11-2003, 02:22 PM

Lowering Springs

Good news! The combination of the 1" lowering springs and the 20" wheels (295-45-20 tires) are working fine. My 4Runner is being featured at www.simpsonwheels.com - check it out.

TRDTOY
Old 06-11-2003, 04:02 PM

Cool! Where'd u get your lowering springs and for how much?
Old 06-11-2003, 04:12 PM

How much did those wheels run you and what kind are they,?those are the exact ones I'm looking for.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs