Undercarriage inspection and report.
Lubrication.
Check all exterior lights and report
Calibrate tire pressure.
Inspect belts and hoses.
Brake inspection and report.

Phase 2:
Replace spark plugs.
Replace fuel filter - Carbureted models only.
Adjust timing.
Service battery- includes anti-corrosion pads.
Spin balance all tires.
Adjust valves.
Test antifreeze.
Clean throttle body - Carburetor or air induction system.
Clean and adjust brakes.
Adjust emergency brake.
Replace air filter.

Phase 3:
Replace fuel filter - all models.
Check and adjust safety restraint system.
Adjust timing belt tension to factory specs.
Engine analysis and calibration to factory specs.
"BG" MOA added to crankcase.
Check operation of ALL lights and controls.
Drain and refill front and rear differentials.
Add "BG" EPC to differentials.
Flush cooling systema and replace antifreeze.
Adjust intake and exhaust valves.
Inspect all ball joint covers and drive axle boots.
Drain and replace transmission fluid.
Drain and replace tranfer case fluids.
Repack wheel bearings.
Replace PCV valve and clean system.
Add "44K"
Wash exterior of vehicle.

Total time required for this service is 8 hours. Total cost for this procedure is $625.00

Seems a little steep to me. But it sure would be a nice thing to have done to a 4Runner with 120,000 miles on it. Cheers!
Old 08-15-2002, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes! it's a great feeling to have those things done to your Toyota.

For my rig ( I have 90K on odometer), I've done most of this stuff myself.

So if your rig's far past it's factory service warranty & you have some mechanical knowledge & tools, anyone can perform at least some of what's listed on 3 of those phases.

I did!

Have fun!

97 4-Runner 4x4 5-spd.

Downey lift, BFG 286/75R16, Welds typhoon 16x10's
some mods. ect.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:49 PM

Oh' yeah.... & save some of that $625.00!!

Downey lift, BFG 285/75R16, Welds typhoon 16x10's
Old 08-16-2002, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: This is the list of things serviced on the 120K Maint. Schedule

This is exactly the kind of work that I have third-party mechanics do. I can usually find one who is a Toyota enthusiast or an off-road enthusiast. The Toyota dealers QUOTE 8 hours for this work. However, when I asked them if they needed my truck all day, they said "no, if you have it to us by 8am, we can have it done by noon." I said, "you must have more than one mechanic working on it, then." They said, "no, it only takes them about 3-4 hours to do this." I asked why they were going to bill me for 8 hours, then, and they said that they bill the rate in the rate book not actual. In reality, this is what all dealers do. There's a very long discussion about the ethics of this, but the short summary is that it IS ethical. What it means is that anybody bringing the same vehicle in for the same work gets charged the same amount of money. If a less-experienced mechanic who is slow works on it, you don't get charged more. If an experience, faster mechanic does the work, the dealer gets more profit because that mechanic can do more of them per day.

My mechanic not only charges less per hour, but he charges fewer hours for the same work. And, he uses only Toyota parts. He buys them at wholesale, about 25% less than retail. He charges me 15% less than retail, so he's getting a profit of about 10% on parts. If you have the dealer do it, you pay full retail for parts.

My mechanic used to work for a Toyota dealer - you can always find this sort of mechanic.

I don't know how much this applies to other V6's, but the one thing I've been told by dealers and third party mechanics is that at 120K miles, they strongly recommend replacement of the tensioners and idler pulley system on the 1994 V6. The parts are not available separately, they must be ordered as an assembled plate from Toyota, for about $600. To replace the assembly, there's a lot of disassembly involved, I think the radiator must come out. So the labor is high.

At 120k miles, the prior owner of my truck paid $1200 for the "routine service" including that replacement of the timing belt accessories. He had the work done by the mechanic I now use. I also have the dealer quote for idential work, and they quoted $2000. In my opinion, this is outrageously expensive for "routine maintenance". Thankfully, the 30,000, etc maintenance items are a whole lot less expensive!

Dave

Originally posted by Whitey
Phase 1:
Oil & filter change.
Top off all fluids.
Tire rotation.
Undercarriage inspection and report.
Lubrication.
Check all exterior lights and report
Calibrate tire pressure.
Inspect belts and hoses.
Brake inspection and report.

Phase 2:
Replace spark plugs.
Replace fuel filter - Carbureted models only.
Adjust timing.
Service battery- includes anti-corrosion pads.
Spin balance all tires.
Adjust valves.
Test antifreeze.
Clean throttle body - Carburetor or air induction system.
Clean and adjust brakes.
Adjust emergency brake.
Replace air filter.

Phase 3:
Replace fuel filter - all models.
Check and adjust safety restraint system.
Adjust timing belt tension to factory specs.
Engine analysis and calibration to factory specs.
"BG" MOA added to crankcase.
Check operation of ALL lights and controls.
Drain and refill front and rear differentials.
Add "BG" EPC to differentials.
Flush cooling systema and replace antifreeze.
Adjust intake and exhaust valves.
Inspect all ball joint covers and drive axle boots.
Drain and replace transmission fluid.
Drain and replace tranfer case fluids.
Repack wheel bearings.
Replace PCV valve and clean system.
Add "44K"
Wash exterior of vehicle.

Total time required for this service is 8 hours. Total cost for this procedure is $625.00

Seems a little steep to me. But it sure would be a nice thing to have done to a 4Runner with 120,000 miles on it. Cheers!
Old 08-16-2002, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

A little FYI:
The rate in the book is called "FLAG" rate. This means that if you need to have your starter replaced, for example, the customer rep will look the job up in the book. If it says 5 hours, they will bill the customer 5 hours. However, the mechanic may only need 2 hours. This means that the mechanic still makes the 5 hours of pay, but has moved onto another job after your two hour starter. Generally, really good mechanics can make a lot of money this way.
I used to have a friend that was an ASE certified mechanic. A few times, his timecard showed 22 hours of work in a 9 hour period. :eek:
Old 08-16-2002, 12:43 PM

Save the cash - take some of the $625 and buy a decent tool set from Sears Craftsman, a couple of jack stands, a floor jack, and a oil drain pan, and finally the Haynes manual for your truck. Take a weekend and do it yourself. All of these procedures are relatively easy to do.

I'm not the smartest mechanical genious, just a doc, but I've managed to change out springs/shocks, timing belts, ect... In the end it is much more satisfying to do it yourself. Besides there is a whole host of people here to help if you get stuck.

Best of Luck
Andrew
Old 08-17-2002, 03:05 AM

That's right dave. Those 60K and 120K services are the most expensive service intervals of all. I had to prepare a budget when my 60K service was up. I've learned and even see people push their vehicles way past their scheduled service with devastating results. This one lady that owned a 97 Toyota camry just got her first engine oil change since she bought the car new! She had 22K on her odometer.

You see, I worked for a reputable independent repair shop authorized by Toyota for a long time, and I see what people pay to maintain their vehicles, small and large jobs, and sometimes too late to repair/new engine jobs. It's amazing how some people can run their vehicles into the ground.

I just did a starter change for which the book calls for 1.5 hrs. labor. We'll, even before the starter was replaced, there was diagnostics involved, like checking/load testing the battery, then cables & connections, alternator voltage test, belts, checking voltage draw, (work performed on an hot engine), before the actual job was performed. Yeah', it is time consuming.

Also, every mechanic shop in the U.S. must posses a "labor book" which lists every repair job hours for all makes & models. I beleive you can veiw this book upon request, our shop did. Check it out!
Old 08-17-2002, 05:34 AM

just out of curiuosity, what is the most complete repair manual you can get for 4runner? thanks guys
Old 08-17-2002, 10:57 AM

A factory repair manual from Toyota and it has everything from engine, trans. & transfer, chasis, body electrical and specifications. They're expensive books but worth it. Check it out at your local dealership.

Mike

Old 08-17-2002, 12:55 PM

120K Maintenance

Thanks guys for the replies. I figure since I paid $8000 dollars for my 93 4Runner, and the fact that I'm not an auto mechanic, nor do I have the room or tools for these procedures I can happily pay $625 dollars for this recommended maintenance. I aim to keep this baby fully serviced at my local Toyota dealer where it was originally purchased. I'll keep you guys posted after this service is completed and let you know if I can tell a difference in performance, idle, ride, noise, etc. And, if they tried to screw me in the process. As always......Cheers!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:56 AM

Anybody know the complete maintenance schedule for a 1996 4Runner V6 4x4? My beastie has about 167K and I want to give 'er some love. I always keep on top of fresh fluids and the other typical stuff but I think it's time for a timing belt and some other bigger items.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Timing belt gets replaced at 90K. There will be a sticker on the fan shroud, I believe, if it has been changed. If you do not know the maintainance history of your truck then I would flush the tranny and coolant, change the diff and transfer case oil, full tune-up and if you change the timing belt, also change the drive belts and water pump. Radiator hoses might need to be changed also.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:12 PM

I performed the 120K service but haven't done any major work since. So if there is more or less a 160K or 170K service that's what I'm looking for specifically.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
here is a list of what to do. It appears that at every 30K miles is the level 4 maintainance.http://www.carchick.com/toyota__service.htm
Old 02-07-2006, 10:14 PM

Location: Ocean Beach, CA Five square miles surrounded by reality.
thanks for that link
Old 02-07-2006, 10:17 PM

yeah, thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:57 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
It's the "calibrate tire pressure" and "wash exterior of vehicle" that really pushes the price up...