Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

LC wheels back from the powdercoater...pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
McDonalds put a disclaimer on their coffee that says "CAUTION HOT!" but some lady still got away with Suing them. People refuse to take accountability for their actions, is why many companines are no longer willing to take the risk.
i thought the "Caution Hot" disclaimer was a result of getting sued...
Old 02-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
garrett, I think you're right on the caution after being sued.. who knows

rocktown, do know if he used a regular sandblaster? because I'm going to do the same thing, but don't know how much prep I can do myself first
Old 02-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rocktown
From what i understand, he sandblasted the wheels and shot the black chrome right over that, followed by clear. I dont believe he even polished them prior to shooting the black chrome base
Hmmm...he must have used glass bead at a low pressure because black chrome is usually darker than that. They look good...but I could never achieve it that light.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:32 PM

Rocktown--those are beautiful! I love the gunmetal/anthracite finish...

Ken
Old 02-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

The wheels wont be on the truck for a few months, while i save up for a lift and tires. I am very anxious to put them on, but rather than swapping my current tires over to the new wheels, i've decided to wait and do the lift, wheels and new tires all at the same time.
wimp! put them on now, you don't need no stinkin' lift!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:04 PM

wow those wheels look amazing!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by garrett1478
wimp! put them on now, you don't need no stinkin' lift!
i agree, put them on!

ALso, can u get the exact brand of powder he used as well as the color?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:16 AM
Banned

mMmM...in love!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:39 AM

Very good looking wheels. I would say to wait as well, you don't want to have to mount/unmount your current tires on them and run the chance of the tire shop messing them up.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by 99_Runner
Very good looking wheels. I would say to wait as well, you don't want to have to mount/unmount your current tires on them and run the chance of the tire shop messing them up.
My buddy works at a bmw dealership and he'd be mounting the tires, with me looking over his shoulder, and if he scratches my wheels i'll severely hurt him. It's just that he'll be doing it for me as a favor, as well as helping me install the suspension and letting me use the lift at the dealership. I dont want to push it and have him swap tires one month and then have to put new tires on again the next month.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

My buddy works at a bmw dealership and he'd be mounting the tires, with me looking over his shoulder, and if he scratches my wheels i'll severely hurt him. It's just that he'll be doing it for me as a favor, as well as helping me install the suspension and letting me use the lift at the dealership. I dont want to push it and have him swap tires one month and then have to put new tires on again the next month.
Make sure when he balances the tires, to put the wheel weights to the rear of the rim.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:24 AM

Thank god someone posted on this thread again. I saw these wheels about a week ago in this thread and have been searching for it since.. with no luck. Without a doubt the best looking set of LC wheels I've seen. It's completly changed my thoughts on these wheels. While I've always been a fan, I like the idea of playing with slight coloring to enhance them. So slick. I'm running a dessert dune colored rig and like the thought of running similar wheels with color to enhance the coloring of the truck.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:24 AM

yeah, no way we would even think of putting wheel weights on the front.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

drool.... I am so copying your wheels I love the color, and just got mine in the mail today !!! Keep your eyes out for yet another, "Look what I got, LC wheels" thread in the very near future
Old 03-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Banned

did you ever get the name of the powder he used? thanks!
Old 03-04-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Localmotion
did you ever get the name of the powder he used? thanks!
He's still working on one of my rims so i'll ask him when i go pick it up. He's had to redo this particular wheel twice already so i'd rather not bother him until he's done.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

He's still working on one of my rims so i'll ask him when i go pick it up. He's had to redo this particular wheel twice already so i'd rather not bother him until he's done.
Wow....he's redoing it twice? That must suck...
Old 03-04-2007, 06:09 PM

The first time, he screwed up in hanging it so a little section got no coating. He gladly re-coated it and we were looking over it together, and it looked like the base coat had all these fine spiderweb like lines but you could only see them at certain angles. And what was weird, the whole wheel had them. So he's doing them again. I kinda feel bad for the guy....
Old 03-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

The first time, he screwed up in hanging it so a little section got no coating. He gladly re-coated it and we were looking over it together, and it looked like the base coat had all these fine spiderweb like lines but you could only see them at certain angles. And what was weird, the whole wheel had them. So he's doing them again. I kinda feel bad for the guy....
Spider webbing...looks like cracking...transparents are known for it when you underbake. He should have put them back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes and it would have solved that. Sounds like your coater doesn't know his mistakes too well man. That would have saved him a ton of time on stripping and redoing them. I've ran into all these problems before...
Old 03-04-2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by callmej75
Spider webbing...looks like cracking...transparents are known for it when you underbake. He should have put them back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes and it would have solved that. Sounds like your coater doesn't know his mistakes too well man. That would have saved him a ton of time on stripping and redoing them. I've ran into all these problems before...
Yeah, he said he looked at them right out of the oven and they were fine, but those little cracks showed up by the time i got there. He said he's never seen that before. I dont doubt that he knows what he's doing. And it seems like he cares about the quality of his work, both times he offered to redo the wheel before i even said anything about it.

Quick Reply: LC wheels back from the powdercoater...pics