Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Land Rover salesman's smug smirk wiped off via 02 4Runner ;o)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Uh-oh,I smell trouble.
X-AWDriver, dont worry, as soon as I get my car sold there will be another one! just cant decide between 2nd/ 3rd gen 4runner or a Tacoma. Probably gonna be the best deal, im open to anything, i have been yotaless for the past 2 years and i miss it.. bad!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you mean like the one toyota drivers have about jeeps?[/QUOTE]

Do you mean: "I understand the JEEP thing, that's why I drive a TOYOTA"
Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 89dlx

Do you mean: "I understand the JEEP thing, that's why I drive a TOYOTA"
Decal on eBay: "I got your JEEP thing. Now it burns when I pee."
Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
Decal on eBay: "I got your JEEP thing. Now it burns when I pee."
I've had something similar in my sig for a long time...I hate jeeps.

My buddy has a sticker that says "Jeep Rescue Vehicle"
Old 07-17-2007, 08:50 PM

Man this thread has me all sorts of confused. Oh well.. this thread did make me realize my mom 98 Rav4 has a center diff lock button on it.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 AM

great post, that story made my crappy day, thanks alot.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
center diff and transfer case

on the third gen 4Runners/Hilux Surf, there are two types of transfer cases: one is the standard t-case while the other type of t-case has a center diff.

Those equipped with a center diff are known as Multi-Mode 4WD t-case. the center diff can be locked/unlocked.
when in AWD mode or H4, the center diff is open/unlocked. so you get use 4wd on pavement without getting driveline bind. when in H4L and L4L, the center diff is locked and the power is transmitted 50-50 to the front and rear diffs. these two modes are not supposed to be used on pavement as it will cause driveline bind.

The standard transfer case doesn't have a center diff so power is always distributed 50-50 to the front and rear diffs everytime 4wd is engaged. H4 and L4 isn't supposed to be used on pavement to avoid driveline bind.

also, full-time 4WD was not availabe for the 3rd gens. all 3rd gens are part-time 4WD.

hth.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
When you have the vehicle stopped and in N, you can shift to 4 wheel low. This activates low range, but there is a 3rd step to lock the center diff.

The '01 and '02 4Runners w/ the multi mode 4WD also come with a button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel that engages the center diff (as my '02 has this). When in 4wd low, you can depress this button and your dash display lights up accordingly letting you know your center diff is now locked.
Rock Slide: My hilux surf has multi-mode 4wd but it does not have the same button as yours. I can engage AWD / H4 by pushing on the 4WD button on the transfer lever (see attached). Also, when i shift to H4L or L4L, the center diff is automatically locked. no need to press the 4WD button. the 4WD button is automatically disengaged when in H4L or L4L.

sorry for the pics. i just used my celfone.

EDIT: oops! sorry, i forgot to attach the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Land Rover salesman's smug smirk wiped off via 02 4Runner ;o)-image00001.jpg   Land Rover salesman's smug smirk wiped off via 02 4Runner ;o)-image00002.jpg  

Last edited by KZN185W; 07-19-2007 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:56 AM

I'll take a few pics when we go back of course. However, there is no way you could do that course in 2WD with power only in the rear or in a car (the clearance would destroy it). Perhaps when I take some pix it will be clearer.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Galen
However, there is no way you could do that course in 2WD with power only in the rear...
Is that a challenge?

neliconcept - You, your rig and a video cam. Set, GO!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RoySharif
Rock Slide: My hilux surf has multi-mode 4wd but it does not have the same button as yours. I can engage AWD / H4 by pushing on the 4WD button on the transfer lever (see attached). Also, when i shift to H4L or L4L, the center diff is automatically locked. no need to press the 4WD button. the 4WD button is automatically disengaged when in H4L or L4L.

don't see any pics Roy??

And what you said in your previous post on the 2 types of transfer cases is a good explanation of the 2.

Roy, I would not think your '96 would have the same button as I have. To my knowlegde, it was only offered on 01-02 4Runners (not sure what year surfs got these, but I would think 00 and newer, but I could be wrong).

To be politically correct, it is not only the center diff lock button, but it also turns off VSC. Here's what the manual states the button is to be used for:

Use the center differential lock system if your wheels get stuck in a ditch, or when you are driving on a slippery or bumpy surface. When the center differential is locked (by depressing this button), the vehicle skid control system (VSC) is automatically turned off and the center differential lock and "VSC OFF" indicator lights come on because the function that controls engine performance interferes with the process of freeing your wheels.

Hope that helps explain this a little more. Like stated above, by depressing this button, VSC is also turned off. However, TRAC is still enabled. Thus the reason the "Andy Mod" was introduced. With the andy mod installed, with a flip of a switch, I can now turns off not only VSC, but also TRAC & ABS too. Nice for extreme situations.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

on the third gen 4Runners/Hilux Surf, there are two types of transfer cases: one is the standard t-case while the other type of t-case has a center diff.

Those equipped with a center diff are known as Multi-Mode 4WD t-case. the center diff can be locked/unlocked.
when in AWD mode or H4, the center diff is open/unlocked. so you get use 4wd on pavement without getting driveline bind. when in H4L and L4L, the center diff is locked and the power is transmitted 50-50 to the front and rear diffs. these two modes are not supposed to be used on pavement as it will cause driveline bind.

The standard transfer case doesn't have a center diff so power is always distributed 50-50 to the front and rear diffs everytime 4wd is engaged. H4 and L4 isn't supposed to be used on pavement to avoid driveline bind.

also, full-time 4WD was not availabe for the 3rd gens. all 3rd gens are part-time 4WD.

hth.
See this is what i was saying, i have the multi-mode diff as well in my 2000 4runner limited. This was the first year it was in the 4runner i know that. and it was only on the limited.(did some reading since last time). all th eother models only had part-time.

Ditto that, this is exactly what i said. See i was not that far off.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
See this is what i was saying, i have the multi-mode diff as well in my 2000 4runner limited. This was the first year it was in the 4runner i know that. and it was only on the limited.(did some reading since last time). all th eother models only had part-time.

Nope my 99' Limited has the same t-case. the two gens of the trucks are 96-98 and 99-02.
Nice thing about my truck i've got the centre AND rear diff lock... very nice.
Centre diff lock will be useful when i get that blower installed
Old 07-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

hth.

Okay, I do not mean to get in a debate with you other this, I'm just trying to understand this better. I am still not sure what you are saying. I agree, you do have the multi mode 4wd if you have the shifter w/ the push button on the side which activates 4HI, but then you follow your above response with: "all the other models only had part-time". Not sure what you are meaning here?? I take that as you're saying all limiteds are full time 4wd and all other models are part-time 4wd.

RoySharif is correct when he said in his last sentence: Full-time 4WD was not availabe for the 3rd gens...all 3rd gens are part-time 4WD. Meaning, not one 3rd gen (not even mine) has full time 4wd. You have to manually engage all of them.

Some people tend to say 4HI and AWD is the same on 3rd gens similar to mine. I am good with that. To me, the multi mode 4HI is more like AWD anyways...but nonetheless, I still have to engage it. It's not full time.

I agree, neither you nor Roy have the center diff lock button, so therefore both of your 4Runners are a little different than mine and other similar '01 and '02s.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
the 2000 and the '02 are completely different animals...and the 02 has a center diff lock.
remix!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM

OK, you guys really need to do some reading. Also there will be overlap through years and differences of the 4wd system based on the trim level. But basically the 3rd generation had 3 sub generations, 96-98, 99-00, 01-02,. The 4wd system changed in each sub generation
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/runhist.html
Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Godzilla
OK, you guys really need to do some reading. Also there will be overlap through years and differences of the 4wd system based on the trim level. But basically the 3rd generation had 3 sub generations, 96-98, 99-00, 01-02,. The 4wd system changed in each sub generation
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/runhist.html
Not trying to be picky, but I've read that before, but after looking over it again, I'm not sure I see your point. Yes, there are sub gens within the '96-02 4Runners, but as far as I know the 4wd feature only changed twice throughout these years. Going from the stanard shifter that did it all, to the multi mode 4wd on the newer 3rd gens that has push button 4HI on the shifter.

If you don't mind showing me the differences, that would help me understand what you're saying.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-18-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:37 PM

So there are different types of transfer cases. For the 96-98 (usually on the limiteds), the push button on the lever controlled the 2wd to 4wd hi. the lever adjusted to 4lo. the standard type of lever was still available. in 99 they switched it up and added the awd (4hi), then 4hi-low, and 4low. This allowed to drive with 2wd, or awd without the centre diff engaged, drop it in to 4hi-low and now the centre is locked and in normal 4wd mode, and then of course 4low. the 01-02 really is the same in some idea. you have the awd and the option of the centre locked, but at the push of a button and not by the shift of a lever. then of course all that atrac crap

Last edited by Godzilla; 07-18-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling,,,grammar still sucks
Old 07-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Godzilla
the 01-02 really is the same in some idea. you have the awd and the option of the centre locked, but at the push of a button and not by the shift of a lever. then of course all that atrac crap
Okay, what you said in your previous post (what I did not quote) make sense. Thanks for explaining it that way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no 3rd gen had full time anything right?

As far as the 01 and 02s are concerned, just want to make sure I'm saying this right: standard driving is done in 2wd. By depressing the button on the shifter, 4HI (AWD) is engaged. Then you have the option of moving the shifter forward to "N" (Netural) and then to 4LO. Next you can press the button on the dash to disable VSC and engage the center diff. Is this not correct?

Earlier, I was merely trying to point out to Tex, that the button I have on my dash is not the same as the rr diff lock.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:59 PM

yes thats correct, there was no full-time awd. only selectable., and yes the button of centre diff and rr diff are two different beasts..

Last edited by Godzilla; 07-18-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Land Rover salesman's smug smirk wiped off via 02 4Runner ;o)