Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is it just me or does anyone else.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone else.....

...feel ashamed for displaying an American flag on their Toyota?

With this being Veterans Day and all, I got to thinking about my small flag on my rear window of my 4Runner. I mean, here I am driving around showing my pride in being an American while in a vehicle made entirely in Japan! What's up with that? Just wondering if anyone else has these thoughts.

(Maybe just one more reason for getting an H2)

Old 11-11-2002, 06:52 AM

If that's the way you feel then Pearl Harbor should have been enough to make you not want to buy the Toyota in the 1st place...I know you're just kidding around here though.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:04 AM

I guess it is competition that keeps all companies going. They are all making cars that look alike. Now the Americans
need to concentrate on making a better performing car with quality parts. I have
given American made cars years of many chances but can no longer afford to pay
for a product that doesn't perform accordingly. American car manufacturers
can and should make better than any other country in my opinion.

By the way, part of the privleges of being
an American that our ancestors and relatives fought for was the freedom of choice. Therefore if you or I or anybody else wants to drive a foreign car with our
American flag on it we have the freedom to do so.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:33 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Dude, get real.. Just go buy your H2...

If you feel ashamed to have an American flag on your rig (no matter who the manufacture is) you have a confidence problem.. Be proud to be an American..
Old 11-11-2002, 08:05 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Nope, I proudly display the USA flag on my Australian bumper that is on my Japanese truck.

http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/11_9_02/18.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/11_9_02/24.jpg

You also have to realize that the cell phone you carry, your TV set, and probably more than half the electronics in your home are not of US origin, but from overseas.

I'm willing to bet that H2 has over half of it's electronics too from outside of the US of A.

Old 11-11-2002, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by kctopher
Dude, get real.. Just go buy your H2...

If you feel ashamed to have an American flag on your rig (no matter who the manufacture is) you have a confidence problem.. Be proud to be an American..
RIGHT ON! Being in the military, Vetrans day means something special to me! We participated in several memorials yesterday and today and I am very proud to have been part of it.
Here's a pic of a wreath laying cermony yesterday to honor fallen American and British soldiers.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:22 AM

I don't have a problem with it at all. I'm glad both my Toyotas were built in Japan, at least I know product quailty was still high back then. My Dad was in the Army for 20 years, and he (well, my parents) own 2 Toyotas, along with my brother. So why should we feel bad? Isn't half of the H2 built in Mexico anyway?
Old 11-11-2002, 08:46 AM

American cars

What if you had a Ford? How many of the parts are made somewhere other than the USA? All of them?

No worries. Being proud of America is not about turning into a fanatic. Support your country the way you feel good about. If that's joining the military, great. If it's not buying foreign cars, great.

Just show your support the way you see fit.

Mike
Old 11-11-2002, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just you.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

My Tacoma was designed and built in Fremont California, by American workers. Many of the components it was assembled from were also manufactured in the USA.

With most Fords being assembled in Canada and much of the Chevy line being located in Mexico, I am PROUD to fly an American flag on my Toyota
Old 11-11-2002, 09:46 AM

I also have a flag sticker on the back of my Jap Crap!
Old 11-11-2002, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Old 11-11-2002, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

I WISH I could put an American flag on my window but when you live in a foreign country that's bad ju ju to advertise your american. Not that the left hand drive Runner doesn't give it away in England but hey we gotta at least try!
Old 11-11-2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Philly
I'd say we put this to rest. Well done men!
Phil... ( or should I call you Neidermeyer instead? ) "We put this to rest? Well done men?" Aye aye Sir! Atten..hut! Hup 1, 2, 3.. hup 1, 2, 3, hup 1, 2, 3......

Next time, if you don't have anything constructive to ad to a person's question then don't say anything at all. And besides, it's my post and I'll decide when we "put it to bed". Is that understood private? Now drop and give me 20!

Old 11-11-2002, 11:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys,

I have one sticker and a USA license frame on the back. Not ashamed in the least nor do I feel hypocritical. Like CPW and others have said, being American and living in America gives you the opportunity for freedom of choice. IMHO, by buying a non-US made product doesnt make me or anyone less "American".

Also, the quality of Japanese products (and subsequent sales) have spurred US car mfgs to build better products. And that surely has a positive effect on the economy here as I'm sure it has helped and not harmed domestic US car sales.

UK: Isn't that ironic that you have some hesitation to put a US flag on your 4runner in a nation that is probably our staunchest ally in Europe? Out here in Los Angeles, you can see so many cars w/ flags of Vietnam, Honduras, Mexico, etc on cars! I guess it speaks to the great freedoms and tolerance we have for other people's pride and beliefs. However, nothing is better than flying the red, white and blue in my opinion.

In closing, thanks to all the active, reserve and vets in the military. Keep up the good work.

Bob
Old 11-11-2002, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by WATRD

With most Fords being assembled in Canada and much of the Chevy line being located in Mexico, I am PROUD to fly an American flag on my Toyota
That is exactly what I was going to say.
-Chrysler is now owned by a Foreign company
-Ford Manufacturers a lot of cars in Canada, and is a major shareholder in Mazda, while owning Land Rover, Volvo, Aston Martin, Jaguar. <-- they run more Foreign car companies than American companies
-GM, manufacturers most of their cars in Mexico, and has Isuzu engine's in their Diesel Trucks. The Geo line is made of Suzuiki (sp?), and Toyota.
-Toyota makes most of their models in the US, and (correct me if I am wrong) makes the most vehicles of any auto manufacturer on United States soil..

With that said, I wouldn't feel weird sticking an American Flag on a Toyota.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:30 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally posted by Whitey
Phil... ( or should I call you Neidermeyer instead? ) "We put this to rest? Well done men?" Aye aye Sir! Atten..hut! Hup 1, 2, 3.. hup 1, 2, 3, hup 1, 2, 3......

Next time, if you don't have anything constructive to ad to a person's question then don't say anything at all. And besides, it's my post and I'll decide when we "put it to bed". Is that understood private? Now drop and give me 20!

Whitey
You mock others then post replys like this??? You must have been the kid who got picked on in school, so now its your turn egh??

Phil has as much right to post as you do good buddy!
Old 11-11-2002, 02:35 PM

KC, I think that was below the belt too! I don't think Phil meant anything by his post!
Old 11-11-2002, 02:45 PM

It's ok. I take ownership of a new H2 this Friday.

I see that my most recent post where I said my good-byes to the group and forum has been moved. That's cheap! Oh well. Here ya go. How's this for a good-bye? --------------->

Old 11-11-2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Whitey
It's ok. I take ownership of a new H2 this Friday.

I see that my most recent post where I said my good-byes to the group and forum has been moved. That's cheap! Oh well. Here ya go. How's this for a good-bye? --------------->

Enjoy your $52,000 s.u.v. I'll stick with my 3,000 beater!

Quick Reply: Is it just me or does anyone else.....