Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just got a 13k offer on my 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by montypower
You don't drive that many miles if your truck only has 88k on it... You will save some in gas costs, but is it worth it? I'm guessing you're are under 12k miles per yr. If you get 17mpg @ $3.00 gal = $2,117 per yr in gas costs. With a Scion you'd be doing great @ 30mpg @ $3.00 gal = $1,200 --- Total difference = $917 per yr

But that's only part of the costs... With a new Scion, you're also paying much higher $$ in depreciation, plus higher insurance. In the end, you might save some money, but it will be much less than $1000/yr. Divided out over 12 months, it really isn't much savings. It would seem there would be other ways to save $75/month...

Sweet truck! Best to you.
Thats about right, but don't forget I've got to run premium fuel. Any suggestions on the best way to calculate depreciation?
Old 04-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

If you were asking $14.5, then $13 is not bad. Try not to think about the gas cost as you will always have to pay for gas. Like you, I started calculating what it would cost to go see a buddy and believe me, the cost makes me think twice even though I would have never thought this way in the past.

I get horrible gas mileage and at the lowest grade of fuel, I just filled up for $50 this week. I still go back to if you are going to buy another car to replace this one, I don't think this is your best option. If you're going to get rid of it to pay off bills, put the money in your savings, etc., then go for it.

You will always need a vehicle to get you and your family around and what better than a slick lookin' truck like yours w/ a s/c to boot...
Old 04-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
How about parting out the supercharger, no more premium fuel, you will save at least 20 cents per gallon and could get about 1K for the piece on ebay.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
The 4Runner has 88k miles.

With two young kids (15 months and 3.5 years) I'm thinking fuel economy and so the Scion Xa is my choice. Yes it is laughable.

I'm hurting here. The Scion will be half the fuel cost per year. Oh to be really rich. :cry:
Personally, I believe you have to set your priorities outright. If your number one goal here is saving gas, youve got to really make sure the extra 15mpg (assuming you dont sell the s/c) is worth it. Because for the first year or two of owning the scion, according to prices on autotrader, you'll be looking at breaking even from the cost difference between what you get for the 4runner, and purchasing the scion.

Another year/two goes by, who knows what gas prices will be. Clearly you've put a lot of time and money into your 4runner that you will NOT get back, that time and money is gone. so is the money you're saving with gas comprable to what you've put into the 4runner? personally if i was in your situation, i would yank the supercharger, run 87 and keep the 4runner. but crunch the numbers and see that this is not something you are going to be able to come out on top of anytime soon, and even by the time you do, its not going to be that big of a difference. By the time you start saving some SERIOUS money, I dont think youll be happy with your choice, IMO.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned

sell the s/c and keep the 4runner. it's to darn good lookin' to sell.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

My $.02

I understand where you are coming from with the wife and kids thing as I have three kids of my own and my wife but she is growing up kinda nicely so I can't really add her as a fourth anymore LOL. Anyways I went through the same thing last year when my third son was born. I had a 99 Limited that I had modified quite nicely (nowhere even close to yours) and I sold it trying to pay off bills and save money etc. that was the biggest mistake I ever made. I just bought another runner last month 97 SR5 with 110k. I love it and I will have it until something happens to it or I get another 4runner. I personally think your rig is one of the best ones I have seen. I think you will regret it if you sale it especially if you are a 3rd gen fan as you will probably not find another on with low miles like yours has. I would try to get closer to what you are asking before I would sale it. Good luck in whatever you decide.

P.S. I wish I would have seen yours before I bought mine. LOL Afterall I am only right up the road from ya,
Old 04-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you got $13K for it and you want to sell then I'd say take it for sure. SUVs are not going to retain value like they used to and the price of gas will continue to play a factor. If you need the money and want to save on gas costs since you have young kids, then I say sell it and get something more economical. Would the guy still buy it if you returned it to stock? If so do that and part out all your aftermarket stuff.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:19 PM

Graham, I hate to see it come to this.
How much does it cost to get you to the college? if it takes another $4 I would NOT get the scion,

I would get the VW TDI 49 mpg there is a G R E A T review in this weeks AUTOWEEK!

THE TDI for the handling, ride comfort I would go with it, please read the review if you have access, If not I will send you my copy.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
The 4Runner has 88k miles.

With two young kids (15 months and 3.5 years) I'm thinking fuel economy and so the Scion Xa is my choice. Yes it is laughable.

I'm hurting here. The Scion will be half the fuel cost per year. Oh to be really rich. :cry:
For over $900 less than an xA, you could get an '07 Yaris sedan that's more economical, versatile and with the new Euro-tuned suspension, prolly more fun to drive.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:33 PM

That sure is ugly.... If I had one, I'd tint the windows so nobody could see me and park around the block from my house.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

I say keep the runner, you will definately be more happy with it! But if you really are gonna sell, take the $13k before that guy changes his mind... but thats just my $0.02
Old 04-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

Sell the SC and use that money for a manual hub swap. You will be able to run 87 oct. fuel and with the manual hubs, you would get another 1-2mpg, plus less wear on the front drivetrian.

With your kids, if getting into the rig is a problem, take off the 3" lift and go back down to 265/75 tires. Going back down in tire size might give you another 1-2mpg?

Just some ideas I thought Id throw out there.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by montypower
That sure is ugly.... If I had one, I'd tint the windows so nobody could see me and park around the block from my house.
.....yeah, I'm not that fond of it either.

I'd have to second that vote for the VW TDI since the gas milage is incredible for a car of that size.
Tons of people are buying those up here too and they seem to hold up quite well.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

Keep the advice coming guys. The weather is really bad today, and they are working on our road so there is about 4 inches of gravel and mud everywhere. No problem in the 4Runner.

By way of information. I still owe about $8300 on the 4runner. If I owned it outright I wouldn't even think of selling. As it stands, the Scion will be a lower payment per month by about $40 and half the fuel cost. I'll end up saving over $100 a month.

But this is just the short term cost, because as many of you have noted, the depreciation on the Scion, interest charged on the loan, etc. etc. will probably not make this a purely economical decision.

One big issue is 4WD. We do live in a rural area, and it does snow about 50 inches a year here (sometimes more). So I'll get snow tires for the Scion (more costs )

I've also got a bit of SUV guilt . I know I'll regret selling the 4Runner, the question is can I deal with it.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by slick858
Graham, I hate to see it come to this.
How much does it cost to get you to the college? if it takes another $4 I would NOT get the scion,

I would get the VW TDI 49 mpg there is a G R E A T review in this weeks AUTOWEEK!

THE TDI for the handling, ride comfort I would go with it, please read the review if you have access, If not I will send you my copy.
I've looked at the TDI and because it is expensive and we don't have a dealer nearby I'm hesistant. I agree it is a more interesting car than the Scion.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hlpressley
I understand where you are coming from with the wife and kids thing as I have three kids of my own and my wife but she is growing up kinda nicely so I can't really add her as a fourth anymore LOL. Anyways I went through the same thing last year when my third son was born. I had a 99 Limited that I had modified quite nicely (nowhere even close to yours) and I sold it trying to pay off bills and save money etc. that was the biggest mistake I ever made. I just bought another runner last month 97 SR5 with 110k. I love it and I will have it until something happens to it or I get another 4runner. I personally think your rig is one of the best ones I have seen. I think you will regret it if you sale it especially if you are a 3rd gen fan as you will probably not find another on with low miles like yours has. I would try to get closer to what you are asking before I would sale it. Good luck in whatever you decide.

P.S. I wish I would have seen yours before I bought mine. LOL Afterall I am only right up the road from ya,

My aunt lives in Monroe and so I could have delivered the 4Runner to you and gotten a family visit in at the same time Thanks for the words of advice and the compliments. You folks aren't making this an easy decision, but I guess that is why I asked the question.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

Have you checked the cost of insuring a new Scion as compared to the Runner?? With two kids and a dog, travel space is a premium in my family. The extra cargo space the Runner provides would be worth keeping it (especially if you travel any significant distances regularly/annually). If it were me, I'd yank the SC and go back to 87 before I'd sell it. One or two bad trips home during/after a heavy snow, and you might be kicking yourself.

Tax, tile, and tags for a new Scion will probably add another $1100 to the total...

Last edited by hillbilly; 04-27-2006 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 914runner
Sell the SC and use that money for a manual hub swap. You will be able to run 87 oct. fuel and with the manual hubs, you would get another 1-2mpg, plus less wear on the front drivetrian.

With your kids, if getting into the rig is a problem, take off the 3" lift and go back down to 265/75 tires. Going back down in tire size might give you another 1-2mpg?

Just some ideas I thought Id throw out there.
I sure didn't get noticeably better fuel mileage with my manual hubs.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

My wife has a Tacoma D-cab that is great for traveling and is 4WD so we'd at least have one 4WD.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

update - scion insurance will be $70 year more.

Quick Reply: Just got a 13k offer on my 4Runner