Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

It's Time for new shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's Time for new shocks

I have finally decided I will buy new shocks for my 01 Double Cab, I just cant stand those TRD/Tokicos. I am looking at a few different brands so I'm seeking everyones advice as far as ride quality, this is my main concern, the Tokicos are just too firm and make my entire truck rattle over every bump. I am looking at Bilstein and OME shocks, I was looking at Ranchos but I'm not sure since they are hydraulic and not gas like the others. I have also looked at Monroe and KYB but I dont think these are as good as the Bils or OME's. I am also planning on a Daystar 1" spacer for the front to level the truck. What do you guys think of these shocks, I dont know much about OME's but I know they are quite popular for Toyotas, as far as Bils, well, I have heard plenty of good things about them. I want to do this once and only once, I want the shock that wll give me the best possible ride without compromising handling. Feel free to give all input possible, I'm open to many options as long as I can afford them.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2002, 12:35 PM

Are coil-overs completely out of the question? I would go for Sway-A-Way Racerunner Coilovers for the front (they are adjustable to around 3" of lift) and then go with OME Leaf packs and shackles to lift the rear and either Bilstein or OME shocks for the rear. That will give you one of the best performance rides ... but not the cheapest.

If you dont plan on doing much off-roading or spending that much money then go with spacers to lift the front but I would choose Cornfed Aluminum Spacers instead of Daystar.

Just my .02

Cheers
Old 11-12-2002, 01:27 PM

thanks beowulf, as far as the SAW coilovers , they are too expensive and I really dont do much offroading. I just something the will make my ride comfortable and I think the answer is new shocks. As far as the spacer in the front, I was not aware of the cornfed aluminum spacer, where can I buy it? So as far as shocks go, which will give me the best ride/comfort. Should I go with Hydraulic or Gas shock? I know gas shocks are better for handling, and hydraulic are supposed to be softer, but where is the median, what is the answer to the best of both worlds. Are bilsteins too stiff? Anyone have experience with OME?

sorry to be a pain in the ass but like I said I want to do this once and only once

Thanks again
Old 11-12-2002, 01:54 PM

shocks

Bilsteins.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
TRD:

I was mulling over the same question months ago. Now I do recognize that you have a Taco and there probably are subtle (or large) differences in the suspension, weight ratio, etc that I dont have the time to analyze but I will tell you that I emailed OME and I rec'd a reply from their West Coast Sales Manager who basically told me that the OME shocks for the 4runner are not optimized for the 4runner and that they will be coming out this fall. (Its fall now...)

Take it for what its worth. As WATRD says, it works for alot of the Tacoma guys but just be forewarned.

Bob
Old 11-12-2002, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Shocks

Has anyone tried the adjustable shocks from Rancho? IT would be nice, but they might violate the KISS principle.

From the Rancho website:

Dual Action Remote Control System... One-Touch, In-Cab, On-the-Fly Adjustment!

Part No. RS99700

Takes high-performance ride control one step further by allowing independent adjustment of either front or rear shocks while driving!

Installs exclusively with RS9000X 9-position shocks
Provides full adjustability from inside the cab
One-touch control panel with dual gauges for precise shock control
Includes detailed instructions plus all hardware for easy do-it-yourself installation

Personally, I'm happy with my KYB Monomax's, but I feel every wrinkle in the road, which isn't what you're looking for. I found them for $86 locally, but got them online for $146 for all four (2 were from eBay)
Old 11-12-2002, 06:06 PM

I had a set of the Rancho 9000s (5 Way Adustable) shocks on my '91 4Runner, and I absolutely hated them. I don't know if I got a bad set of them, but no matter what setting I had them set on the ride was either WAY too floaty (Myself and anyone I carried in the truck always got sea sick/car sick if I had them set at anything below 4 and the ride was very jarring and harsh on 4 and 5. Not to mention whenever i would go over a speed bump the front end would completely drop to the ground, and then the back would do the same. So to me they aren't worth the money, and I would never buy them again. I just recently got a set of Bilsteins installed, and they are SOOOOOOOOO Good on my truck!!! I can't say enough good things about them, and I have absolutely no complaints about them what so ever (also you can't go wrong with their lifetime warranty )

So that's my opinion, some people have had the Rancho 9000s and love them, but on my 4Runner they were terrible.

-Braden
Old 11-12-2002, 08:18 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the comments and help. I am pretty convinced I will end up getting the Bils, a lot of people have recommended them. One thing that stays in the back of my mind is WATRD's comments regarding the Bils, he says "most Tacoma owners avoid them like a plague", he says the rear is too stiff due to the light weight. I know he knows a lot about this, and he also happens to have the same truck except ext. cab. I want to make the right decision, does anyone here have a Tacoma with aftermarket Bilstein HD's?

Thanks again
Old 11-12-2002, 08:34 PM

My friend's truck (it's a '95 Pickup, Extended Cab) and he has the aftermarket Bils on it and from my experience riding in his truck both on road and offroad, it handles very well, and give it a very nice firm ride and it absorbs most of the bumps we've thrown at it. I personally have no idea how they handle on a new tacoma or if they handle any differently than they do on my friend's truck.

I'd follow WATRD's advice, he's very knowledgable and knows what he's talking about. And I have no doubt that he's right about the Bilsteins (although there must be a difference between the trucks, because my friend's truck handles like a dream with them )

-Braden
Old 11-12-2002, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

I just updated my suspension pages and I have some commentary regarding shocks HERE

Particularly the rear suspension addresses some aspects of the Bilsteins vs. Ranchos, although it has to do more with off-road applications.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:49 PM

decisions, decisions

I am still unsure of what I will do as far as shocks(Bils, Ranchos, OME's, bla bla bla), but I am thinking that at the same time it is a good idea to level the truck with a small spacer on the front(1") from Cornfed(steel) or Daystar, what do you guys think about this(which one?), will it affect my ride and is it really worth it to level the truck?

thanks again
Old 11-12-2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by BajaTaco
I just updated my suspension pages and I have some commentary regarding shocks HERE

Particularly the rear suspension addresses some aspects of the Bilsteins vs. Ranchos, although it has to do more with off-road applications.
Very nice read BajaTaco!!! And nice rig too

trdtacoma01 I would probably follow the advice of the Taco Guys like BajaTaco and WATRD. Us 4Runner guys are giving you impressions of what we like for our runners but we are dealing with different aspects when it come's suspensions.

But I do know that the front Cornfed Spacers are a good set of Aluminum Spacers and are made to work with the geometry of stock front coils (however I do not know about the TRD coils that are in your truck so I would check with him first) ... in fact I heard it is recommended to use stock coils only. This would cut down on your costs as you would then only need to get shocks and spacers up front and use the coils you already have.

Here is Cornfed's Website He sells whole lift kits as well for reasonable prices.

Here is a link to another source who sells Aluminum Spacers called ProTrux they seem to be close in design to the Cornfeds but at Protrux they are only $97.00.

And finally, here is another website that has a lot of suspension gear for Tacos and 4Runners. They are called Wheeler's Offroad. There customer service is excellent and will usually answer all of your questions quickly.

Hope this is of some help!!!
Old 11-13-2002, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Beowulf - thanks!!

TRD - I have heard alot of good things about the Cornbred spacers. I have never run a spacer with the stock coils, so I cannot speak from experience on my own truck. A spacer will do nothing to improve your ride, but it will lift your truck. With a 1" spacer you will probably be fine. Running something like a 3" lift spacer can make the ride pretty harsh though, as you are effectively diminishing the travel on your coil.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:23 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes, very nice write-up Baja.
One question...

I swear by my Edlebrock shocks all the way around.
I know they don't make them for the front of the Tacos or the 3rd gen 4Runners, but I'm sure they do for the rear.

Do you know of any Taco owners who have tried the Edelbrocks back aft?
Old 11-13-2002, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Corey, I don't know any Taco owners running them that I can think of. The IAS shocks look pretty cool though with their inertia valving and it's good to hear someone else that is happy with them (I have read others comments that have been pleased with them). I am curious to see how you like them over the long haul and how well they last. How many miles have you been running them so far - any idea?
Old 11-16-2002, 08:54 AM

Ok, finally decided I will get the OME 880 or 881 front springs that give me about 2" lift to level the truck out. Along with these I will get the OME N91 soft valve or firm valve shocks. This should not only improve my ride but also level my truck. I have not decided what to do with the rear yet, leave it with the factory shocks, or uprade to the OME N85 rear shocks. Please give me any last minute recommendations, is this a good setup?
Should I go with 880's (light load) or 881s (heavy load), is there a differce in ride between these two?
Which shock should I go with soft or firm valve, what is the difference?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2002, 09:06 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by BajaTaco
How many miles have you been running them so far - any idea?
Not sure of the mileage, but they have been on since October of '99.
I'm very happy with them so far.

I tried some Les Schwab Mountain Ryder gas shocks before that, and they did not control the rig good enough.
Those shocks are made by Gabrial and are the Gabrial Gas Adjust VSTs I beleive.

Ran them for a few months before I switched over to the Edelbrocks.
Corey
Old 11-16-2002, 11:08 AM

whats the difference between Edelbrocks and Rancho or the heavy duty shocks that Schwabbies sells? Better/smoother ride?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by trdtacoma01
Ok, finally decided I will get the OME 880 or 881 front springs that give me about 2" lift to level the truck out. Along with these I will get the OME N91 soft valve or firm valve shocks. This should not only improve my ride but also level my truck. I have not decided what to do with the rear yet, leave it with the factory shocks, or uprade to the OME N85 rear shocks. Please give me any last minute recommendations, is this a good setup?
Should I go with 880's (light load) or 881s (heavy load), is there a differce in ride between these two?
Which shock should I go with soft or firm valve, what is the difference?

Thanks
TRD, I'm working on upgrading (both going up and improving) the suspension on my tacoma. what shocks did you end up using in the rear (I figure you may have worked it all out in tha last month)?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skyjacker

S K Y J A C K E R

while your at it get rid of the dinky Bike pump of a steering stabilizer.

http://www.mudrunner.ca/shocks1.html

Last edited by 4Hummer; 12-22-2004 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: It's Time for new shocks