Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

intake silencer removal mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question intake silencer removal mod

Hi,

I asked Dr. Z earlier if the intake silencer removal mod would work on tacomas. I found everything for it, but after talking to my grandpa, he was telling me that it was not actually a silencer but a dampener. I called up a toyota tech in town here, and they said it was pressure dampener. If you have a answer on this it would be nice to find out exactly how it works. By the way, I have heard of the T-Ten tech, Jay, so if you could give me an answer as well it would be nice. I heard stories of pinging with this modification done. My guess was that if you didn't have the dampener, and you get a pressure surge(i.e., when you really open the throttle up fast) and this could maybe rough on the engine. I don't know that much, so I am probably for off with this guess, but if you could clue me in on what's going on here, it would be much appreciated Thank you.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:10 PM
Away

Here we go again... :pat:

I'll let Jay answer your question since you are asking him.

Peace!
Dr. Z
Old 11-20-2002, 03:42 PM

sorry if i sounded harsh dr. z, i just was curious if you had done research into this, or if jay would know how it worked exactly. I only ask this because toyota led me to believe differently, but I usually trust the guys at the toyota dealership in town here. Sorry.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:04 PM
Away

You know what's funny is, during dinner I was thinking of adding some thoughts to this thread.

You didn't sound harsh at all. I was just being dramatic because this keeps getting brought up. I was only teasing you. Jay has already looked at my setup, in person, and can't think of any reason why it would do the engine harm.

However, you say the Dealership says the boxes are "Pressure Dampeners". What's funny about that is on the Vacuum Routing diagram on the underside of my hood, it's called the "Intake Silencer". Hmmmm....

If you look at the pic below, posted by PhxTRDRunner, you can see what I'm talking about. Look closely at the Vacuum diagram on the right hand side of the pic. In the diagram, near the bottom left, you can just make out the text I am mentioning...

https://www.yotatech.com/attachment.php?postid=26879

I have run open intakes on my vehicles for over 20 years with no adverse effects. If you read my article, you should have seen the link to the counter-point articles on removing intake silencers/resonators. If you didn't read them, go back and check them out. They're excellent reading, but just remember every engine is different and not all things apply to all engines.

Just for fun, why don't you go out to your truck, pop the hood and take a look at your vacuum diagram. What does it say the FPR hose attaches to?

Please post back with your results!
Dr. Z

PS Thanks for the pic PhxTRDRunner! Your timing is most helpful!

Last edited by Dr. Zhivago; 11-20-2002 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:00 PM

Intake silencer mod

Hey Dr. Z,

I checked my vavcuum routing diagram, and i saw the intake silencer, but it isn't even named on mine, its just a black box with no name. Anyways, I am going to cap the ends of the holes and try it before i get a whole new pipe. I am usually pretty skeptical about new things, especially things that aren't really made to be changed, you know. Anyways, thank you, I will get back to you when I get the chance. By the way, were do you get filters for the deck plate mod. I just have small holes drilled in the front right now. just curious.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

2wheeler97- It is indeed a intake silencer. I used to have a 00 civic Si that I added a cold-air-intake, it had a HUGE intake silencer, when i took it out, there was a significant increase in engine noise. I have never heard called a pressure dampener, or having anything to do with that..
You should be ok, if you do the intake mod.
I am planning on doing my intake after work today!
Old 11-22-2002, 04:43 AM

maybe the guy you spoke with was British or something. No offense intended to anybody, but being that over in other countries a hood becomes a bonnet and gas is petrol and so forth. Drive shaft could be a propeller shaft, muffler could be an exhaust pulse dampener, intake silencer could be an intake pulse dampener.