Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Inspired....why not 6 inch trailmaster for 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see how you can drop the front diff 4-5 inches and not need driveshaft mods. Can you strech it out so the splines are just barely meshing? Would you want to drive it like that? How about the rear? Is any part of the new IFS steering mounted on the frame? Something there has to strech 4 inches.

Open mouth and insert foot on my part. I haven't studied late IFS rack and pinion steering very closley. Educate me.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

The driveshaft has a slip-yoke in it. Since the input to the diff drops exactly six inches and the driveshaft is at an angle, it only needs to be a couple of inches longer, not the full six. Normally that slip-yoke is hidden behind a crossmember, so it's tough to see. That crossmember, by the way has be clearanced a bit to allow the new angle on the driveshaft. My driveshaft is about 2.5" inches or so longer than it was stock, but I still don't have any splines showing, so I am WELL within spec on it. The u-joints happily take just a bit more angle, remember the additional angle is divided between two of them.

The old crossmember is cut out and the TM is inserted in where the A-arms used to go, the A-arms are then bolted back up to the new crossmembers as is the steering rack, just six inches lower than previously. Insert a six-inch steering shaft extension (comes with the kit) and you are golden.

My rear driveshaft is just to the point where the splines don't show. At full droop, I have some spline showing, but there is still plenty in the yoke. I have TRIED to get it to drop, but cannot.

Getting clearer?
Old 05-17-2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner

44Runner ~ how far did you have to move your gas tank? ..and how much of a pain is that really?
I did not move my tank at all, but to go higher than I did, you would definately need to completely rework the rear suspension. I will probably rework the rear at some point in time down the road during project 4Runner Evolution #3 but for now it is fine. Move the tank and redo the links. Perhaps a 4 link? Hmmm, who knows....
Old 05-17-2003, 05:05 PM

I have a 2nd gen...but

So, here is my thoughts on the rear.

Do a leaf swap. I have a 2nd gen runner, and have done this. I have a 4" front lift and ran into numerous problems with the lifted 4link. TO do a 4link correctly, as this months petersons says, takes time, and trial and error. It, yes, would involve moving the gas tank, pronbally to a fuel cell, look at the ORS runner. You can have 6" springs wound from national spring, so no spacers. Allpro will make you lower links and upper links the correct length. A custom panhard bar can be made. The big problem is locatinf the upper link mounts high enough, with out making them weak, the problem I had. Many 2nd gen runners have done the leaf swap with the SAS.

Its pretty simple cost me 1150, and travels something feirce. It was mostly cutting and grinding, only 4hours of welding time.

COSTS:

Springs: 500 (56" alcans, 420 + shipping)
Spring Hangars: 20 ea (factory toyota)
Shackle hangars: 20 ea (factory toyota)
Spring Perch: 100 (All-Pro)
Shackles: 100 (All-Pro)
Mini Truck Shock Hoop: 150 (ORS)
Shocks: 160 (RS9000x's, 13.25" travel)
Drive Shaft: 100

Total: 1150

No welding cost, got it for free

SO there would be ways to go cheaper, use generic 6" springs, an axle out of a tacoma (no perches..less cutting)...make your own shackles, and other things.

I can speak from experiance that a lifted coil suspension that comes on the 2nd and 3rd gen runners, very similar, is EXTREAMLY unstable on the trail and off the trail.

I LOVE MY RLS, depite the cost, but good suspensions take $$!!!

So go TM front, and RLS..until you can afford the SAS.

Rob can tell you his opinion on my rear next week, he will see it tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:29 AM

i was thinking of the same thing. my runner is a dd and i'm planning on buying a trail rig to beat up. however, my buddy just sold his TM kit cheap and it got me thinking... at 5-6", the rear suspension is close to being maxed out on downward travel. i don't like that. i figured if i picked it up, then i would have to get new links custom made and fab up a panhard drop bracket. but the ride would suffer initially. now, i'm thinking more on the lines of the PC 4" kit with 3" coils in the back and 3" b/l. now, just have to find a PC kit cheap to test this out...

here are some pics of 3rd 4runner with the TM kit. so it's possible,
http://www.auburn.edu/~blackc1/Tacom...204-Runner.bmp
http://www.auburn.edu/~blackc1/Tacom...4RunnerIFS.jpg

these pic were taken in hawaii. and it's hard to tell with custom suspension work was done for the rear. there is another 3rd 4runner with the PC kit but that's either in hawaii or socal.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Re: I have a 2nd gen...but

Originally posted by 4x4nala
Rob can tell you his opinion on my rear next week, he will see it tomorrow.
It looks SWEET! From what I saw of it, that is the way to go