Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Indiglo guage update....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indiglo guage update....

Welp i got the guages in the mail yesterday and i already have the my cluster torn out of my rig.I have a few pics of the indi guages up on webshots right now more will be added later tonite.
Wishme luck onthe install
Old 11-01-2002, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Firefighter that's awesome! You will like the final product. Email me if you have any probs
Old 11-01-2002, 01:32 PM

Yup, those are the ones! Very cool. You will really like them. They are easy to install, just remember what I told you earlier. Goodluck and let us know how you make out. Pictures are cool too. :fireman:

P.S. Joey, how did you make out on changing turn signals?
Old 11-01-2002, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Halos

Are those the only brand of reverse indiglo guages available for the second gen? I haven't seen any other models. Anyone?
Old 11-01-2002, 07:02 PM

Welp i have the indi's installed and and they look great.I also changed my green turn signal to BLUE. Very easy to do. I just removed the green plastic and cut some blue plastic (file folder from office depot) to match the green one and swapped them out.If you notice in pic Mvc-675s you can see the green plastic just above and between the RPM and Speed guage.
During the install i really didnt have any problems except that the spedometer did'nt have the hole for the needle rest and that the faces where a little tight slipping over the round part of the needle base, other then that it went just fine.All the advice i got from here help out alot also. Since its really cold out and dark i will install the gauge cluster in the truck tomorrow and i will add some pics of the guages in the rig.I have some pic up on webshots of me installing the faces on my bench. Hopefully i will get my site up and running in the near future.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:37 PM

Anyone know if these will work with a '91 4Runner? I just found a set on Ebay and they look identical to the stock gauges that are in mine, but on the auction it says that they're for '92-'95 So anyone know if they'll fit? I don't want to lay down $50 and have them not work.

-Braden
Old 11-01-2002, 07:44 PM

I've been thinking of getting these gauges and am wondering how do you change the color from blue to green.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:45 PM

91Runner check out my pics and compair your guages to mine. I dont think there is a difference. Dont quote me on that tho.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:47 PM

Yeah I checked out your pics Firefighter, and my gauges look identical. So i'm guessing that they will work.
Thanks and the gauges look great !

-Braden
Old 11-01-2002, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

I've been thinking of getting these gauges and am wondering how do you change the color from blue to green.
There's a little control box that you mount somewhere that has a switch on it to flip from blue to green. It also has a knob so you can adjust the intensity from almost off to so bright it will light up the whole truck in the dark!

P.S. Joey, how did you make out on changing turn signals?
Ryan I haven't been able to do it since I broke my arm still looking for a suitable material to use. There isn't an abundance of Home Depots here in the UK
During the install i really didnt have any problems except that the spedometer did'nt have the hole for the needle rest and that the faces where a little tight slipping over the round part of the needle base,
Same problems the rest of us had did you have any troubles with the gauges hanging up?
Old 11-01-2002, 09:54 PM

UKMyers
Same problems the rest of us had did you have any troubles with the gauges hanging up?
YUP they hung up. I just used some sandpaper on the underside of the round needle pod, and it freed up perfectly. For the turn signals i just replaced the green plactic with some blue plastic. Im going to try the same thing for my door panel lights.The plastic came from a document folder i got from Office Depot. Im sure you can find this at any office supply store.The blue plastic is not clear but not frosted either. It's like a muted blue, looks good in place of the green turn signal.Pics dont do it justice.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

Geez.. I wonder if it would be even worth it to get ahold of this company and inform them of their flaws. A few small fixes and they could have a pretty decent product. I will have to look around for some blue stuff as I been wanting to do that mod. I also have a TRD sticker that's going on my tach, thanks to Chris Steger. Be careful when you put the cluster back in that you don't shake out any of the covers for the warning lights. One of mine came loose on the far right side so everytime I start my truck the rear ABS lights up crooked. Gotta fix that when I tear into it too.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:44 PM

Well guys....hopefully I'll find some time this wknd to install my gauges too.....that way I can join the gang. How long did it take everybody? And how and where did u guys connect the power wire? TIA
Old 11-02-2002, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

It took me several hours but most of that was fixing screw ups. If it all goes straightforward I bet you could easily do it in a few hours. You can tap into any wire for power that comes on with the park lights. I used the wire that lights up the ashtray. Be sure and read my article in the tech section before you start to avoid making mistakes like I did.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:22 PM

Install was straight foward and easy just take you time.Only to me about 15 mins to take apart the dash and remove the guage cluster.4 screws hold the cluster inand on the back of the cluster they are 4 wire plugs.Unplug them and the guage is free. Pop off the clear front to gain access to the needles.I used double faced tape to keep the indiglos tight to the guage faces.I took my time with it and it was about 1hr to mount the guages. Plus i replaced the turn signal plastic with some blue and tossed the green out.Looks rather nice IMO.
I got the power from the wires going to the dimmer switch. BUT DONT POWER THE INVERTER WITH LESS THEN 12VOLTSTHE UNIT WILL BURN OUT AND FAIL. The dimmer switch has 3 wire going to the plug GND -12V IN - REDUCED POWER OUT via the knob. Be sure to use the GND and 12V in, check it with a volt meter. When you rotate the knob the power should stay above 12v if it goes below 12v you need to use the other wire. Any other questions just post then here
Old 11-03-2002, 06:42 AM

I got a multimeter and found which wire out of the wire plugs in the back powered the stock gauges and I tapped into that for power. Pretty easy. There is even a screw that you can use for the ground. That is probably the best option you have. :fireman:
Old 11-03-2002, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Hey all,
I saw a really nice set of indigo gauges on ebay the other day, and was thinking about getting them. They were kinda like reverse indigo on the outside and they had a indigo portion on towards the center. Very cool.

Concerning the speedo rest, my 1990 4Runner doesn't have it. It does have one for the tach. Anybody have any problems with the tach rest? Maybe the folks who designed the gauges used a 4Runner like mine that doesn't have the rest. I dunno, just a thought.

FireFighter--Are you talking about the dimmer switch that came with the gauges, or the stock one? I just wanted to make sure I understood what you did. You wired your gauges into the 12v and ground wire that goes to stock dimmer switch. So, are you bypassing the switch then? Is the inverter the dimmer switch that comes with the indigos? Sorry if I sound like a dummy, but I havn't done a lot of wiring and am trying to learn.

Have fun you all,
DH6twinotter
Old 11-03-2002, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Just checked out your photos. Those are awesome! The ones I saw on ebay were just like those.

Do your lights that light up the needles still work after installing the gauges? I wonder if there is anyway of making the needles blue or green..... That would be cool.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 11-03-2002, 02:02 PM

DH6, I believe that they are the gauges that I have and the ones that Firefighter just got. Check out the picture on his post and check. They are really nice gauges. I love mine. :fireman:
Old 11-03-2002, 04:06 PM

DH I tapped into the power wires going to the dimmer for the truck dash lights. Just be sure you tap into the incoming power to that dimmer and not the reduced power going to the dash lights. Other wise if you dim your dash lights you can ruin the invertor for the indi guages.

Quick Reply: Indiglo guage update....