Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ignition Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Key

I bought the wife a 99 limited and she loves it. We always keep an extra key in the house for our vehicles.

I go to the local key shop and they tell me the key has a chip in it tied to the security system. They won't touch it.

I call a dealer and they want $100 to cut a key.

What gives??????

Anyone faced this and got around it??

$100 bucks for a key is ridiculous!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes

We have a similar situation in my wife's 2001 Sienna, but only paid $40 for a new key, not $100. My 2000 4Runner has an OEM security system and no special key. I just got a copy made when I bought it, but it ain't no OEM key and works fine. Sounds like some dealer is blowing smoke up your skirt. Better stop it quick, because where there is smoke...

Brian
Old 10-07-2003, 07:14 PM

Limiteds DO have transponder keys

You can find the blank transponder keys on ebay for around $20.
You will need to program it, the dealer charges$40+ for this in addition to the key cost, PM me and I'll send you the directions to do it for free. If you just make a regular hardware store flat metal copy, it will only open doors, not start the truck, not bad for hide a key use. I would keep the original safe it's the only way to program copies, if lost, they would need to replace the security system/ignition in the car at close to $2000.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

i think only the Limiteds came with the chips in the ignition key
Old 10-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

I started this thread a while back that answered my questions and I posted the key programming instructions at this link.

Check it out!
Old 10-08-2003, 04:16 AM
Banned

Nice!!!

Originally posted by SkyRat
I started this thread a while back that answered my questions and I posted the key programming instructions at this link.

Check it out!
Great info on that thread for future reference!

Brian
Old 10-08-2003, 04:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Limiteds DO have transponder keys

Originally posted by RobT2k
...if lost, they would need to replace the security system/ignition in the car at close to $2000.
Actually, they have to replace the ECU AND CUT NEW KEYS AT $88 EACH! However, my local toyota DEALER said that Toyota would replace the ECU for free as a courtesy gesture if I paid for the labor to install and 2 keys. The total would be about $250 with tax. Nice to see that some Dealers aren't Stealers.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:06 AM
TOR

Transponder Keys

Guys here is the deal on the transponder keys. Toyota as a corportation will replace the ECU the first time only and you will have to pay the labor. Here is the important part, YOU CAN ONLY PROGRAM ANOTHER KEY IF YOU HAVE THE MASTER KEY WITH THE BLACK HEAD. If you have the valet it will have a grey top and you are screwed unless you want to go ahead and cough up the money for another ECU. I would highly suggest to any and all that if you only have one master you make another copy of it and keep it at home. We tell all sorts of people that buy their cars from used car lots this and they think we are trying to dig in their pockets. This is not the case, most make a nasty face and tear ass out of the parts dept. Then we see them back up here later on saying they should have listened to us. Personally I think these things are much more trouble than their worth for both sides. Let me know if anyone needs them, I have them all day long for you guys for $35.33. Let me know if anyone needs some and I we can get them out to ya!

Todd
Old 10-08-2003, 05:12 AM
Banned

Re: Transponder Keys

Originally posted by TOR
Guys here is the deal on the transponder keys. Toyota as a corportation will replace the ECU the first time only and you will have to pay the labor. Here is the important part, YOU CAN ONLY PROGRAM ANOTHER KEY IF YOU HAVE THE MASTER KEY WITH THE BLACK HEAD. If you have the valet it will have a grey top and you are screwed unless you want to go ahead and cough up the money for another ECU. I would highly suggest to any and all that if you only have one master you make another copy of it and keep it at home. We tell all sorts of people that buy their cars from used car lots this and they think we are trying to dig in their pockets. This is not the case, most make a nasty face and tear ass out of the parts dept. Then we see them back up here later on saying they should have listened to us. Personally I think these things are much more trouble than their worth for both sides. Let me know if anyone needs them, I have them all day long for you guys for $35.33. Let me know if anyone needs some and I we can get them out to ya!

Todd
[HIJACK ON - Terrorist alert!]

Todd,

I have a 2000 SR5 4x4 with the OEM remotes w/ security sytem. MY key appears to be just a regular old black top key, not like my wife's Sienna key which is black but fatter at the top. I know hers has one of those chips in it as we had to pay like $40 to get my folks a copy of the key so they could use the van to pick up the boys sometimes at daycare. Anyway, I'm pretty sure mine is just a plain old key, not the transponder one. Am I correct? I don't want to lose the only key I have that looks like a Toyota one, the used car lot did give me another one that my wife has for my vehicle, but it is definitely not OEM, and find out I'm screwed!

Thanks!

Brian

[HIJACK OFF]
Old 10-08-2003, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all of the very helpful info.

This forum has again saved me some bux!!!!

I will let youknow how the "Key Crisis" works out.

Ray
Old 10-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

New Key Works!!!!!!!!

I have a new ignition key.

After ordering a new Toyota key from TOR (Todd) on Wednesday, I got it today. $2.50 later (paid to a locksmith to cut it) and using the instructions given to me by Rob and I am good to go.

Again this forum has saved me some bux.

Thanks again for the help.

Ray